Question about net carbs

Options
I'm looking to replace my carb heavy strawberry smoothie. I need something quick and easy, and I was looking at quest bars. The thing is they say they only have 5 grams of net carbs, but on the label it say 24 grams, with 19 being fiber. My question is, would I count all the carbs, or would I only count the net carbs? thanks!

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Net carbs is for people doing a low carb, Atkins type diet, mostly, I believe. Something about how different types of carbs affect your body. I don't particularly go,low carb or aim for ketosis or anything, so I count all carbs.
  • SusanUW83
    SusanUW83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    South beach and atkins consider net carbs -- where you subtract fiber from carbs to get net carbs. That way you can eat more veggies and high fiber items, despite the carbs when you are totalling your carbs for the day.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    As a type 1 diabetic, carbs are absolutely important when it comes to insulin intake and blood sugar. In diabetic communities, the question often comes up about whether or not to count fiber in total carbs when calculating how much insulin to take. The answer is that the only type of carb that does not require insulin (and does not raise blood sugar) is fiber. This is because fiber does not get digested the same way - it mostly just passes through. This is also why people use fiber to add bulk to their stools... because it just passes through and adds volume to waste.
  • lotr4000
    lotr4000 Posts: 25 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Yep, net carbs.
    But pay attention to how it makes you feel. If it doesn't stall your weight loss, great!
    If it does, might just want to try some Cellucor instead. ( 1-3 net carbs per scoop, and they come in a bunch of different flavors. -Since you're doing shakes. )
    http://www.cellucor.com/products/21-whey
    I'm in ketosis right now and it hasn't stalled me out at all.
    ( Still averaging 0.4-0.8 lbs weight loss per day. )
    Everyone is different though, so experiment away~! :)
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    As a type 1 diabetic, carbs are absolutely important when it comes to insulin intake and blood sugar. In diabetic communities, the question often comes up about whether or not to count fiber in total carbs when calculating how much insulin to take. The answer is that the only type of carb that does not require insulin (and does not raise blood sugar) is fiber. This is because fiber does not get digested the same way - it mostly just passes through. This is also why people use fiber to add bulk to their stools... because it just passes through and adds volume to waste.

I agree. Net carbs are typically total carbs minus fiber and sugar alcohols.

Diabetics really need to watch whether they are bolusing for total carbs or net carbs. I've had a few nasty hypoglycemic episodes while bolusing for chili filled with beans and forgetting that beans have a ton of fiber (at least a 1-2 unit difference in total carbs vs net carbs). People on ketosis diets also pay close attention to the net carbs, as fiber and sugar alcohols do not affect ketosis.
  • AlyM725
    AlyM725 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info, guys. I'm not diabetic, and I'm not following a low carb diet, but I am trying to watch my carbs overall. I love that they have so much protein. I really like all the fiber too. I have IBS and getting enough fiber is really important in the management of my symptoms. I think I'll try them out. Shakes and smoothies just don't keep me full for long, so I'd like something more substantial. How is the chocolate chip cookie dough flavor?
  • roxy_dolly
    roxy_dolly Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Chocolate chip cookie dough is my favourite! Especially if you warm it for 10-20 seconds in the microwave. Cookies n cream is also delicious. I have IBS like you and the fibre count is fantastic I agree!
  • pltjess
    pltjess Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    The cookie dough flavor is awesome but my favorite is cookies and cream. Love it!! I'll second warming them up in the microwave.
  • pltjess
    pltjess Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Some also subtract sugar alcohols as well to get net carbs.