Fast food

Options
koizumi6
koizumi6 Posts: 274 Member
what are some good/decent choices of fast food? (besides the obvious, subway)

Replies

• rishaskye
    rishaskye Posts: 24
    Options
    Chik-fil-A has some healthy meal options. Chargrilled and Fruit Salad only has 220 calories. Check out the website of any place you want to go, they usually have the nutrtional facts. This way you will know what you can order and where.
  • lpirie
    lpirie Posts: 24
    Options
    Chick-fil-a isnt too bad. The chicken has good protein and you can substitute a fruit cup for the fries
  • richiedbond
    Options
    Taco Time has a fit hit menu that is pretty stinkin good. Just keep away from the tater tots...
  • AriesGrl
    AriesGrl Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Jack in the box...ckn fajita pita
    mcdonalds....4 pc ckn nuggetts
    carls Jr.....Turkey Burgers
    Taco Bell.....Taco Frescos
    In and Out....Protein Burger
    to name a few....lol
  • curvygirl512
    curvygirl512 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I'm told by my doc that grilled chicken sandwich is a healthy choice. Even healthier is removing 1/2 the bun and eating the sandwich as an open-face deal. Otherwise, I tend to stick with basic salads without any dressings. So boring, I know. Who else really, really misses burgers and fries?
  • anzura
    anzura Posts: 171
    Options
    Taco Bell Fresco menu is pretty low calorie.
  • MirandaDeCrane
    MirandaDeCrane Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I like the Sonic grilled chicken sandwich on wheat bread. No cheese, no mayo! I think you can safely get most small burgers, just make sure not to get mayo/cheese! Add lettuce/tomato/onion/mustard/ketchup :) I will sometimes get a small fry, and eat half. I'd rather practice portion control with the fries than do without LOL

Now-sodium? That is another story! Sodium for anything is usually through the roof!
  • ChrisR0128
    Options
    Wendy's has some good alternatives (baked potatoes, chilli, salad), Arbys Reg Roast beef. Any burger with anything but mayo and cheese isnt to bad. I find if you have the phone app of MFP you can look up just about any fast food reseraunt menu items.
  • ciendras
    ciendras Posts: 5
    Options
    OR - and this will not be popular - you could just go hungry for a few hours and drink some water. Just an idea. I noticed that hunger is not often discussed on this blog.
    Imho there is no legitimate reason to entertain eating processed food served out the the window of a big concrete box. Why eat bread buns and sauce full of HFCS? What's so hard about stopping at a grocery store and getting an apple and a banana, maybe a side of trail mix, if you really can't handle it anymore? But, hey! I'm just bloviating.
  • joannbuist23
    joannbuist23 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Chik-fil-a's chargrilled chicken sandwhich is a good choice at around 250 calories. A regular chicked sandwhich there is over 400 so you still need to be careful even when choosing chicken.
  • CorinthiaB
    CorinthiaB Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    OR - and this will not be popular - you could just go hungry for a few hours and drink some water. Just an idea. I noticed that hunger is not often discussed on this blog.
    Imho there is no legitimate reason to entertain eating processed food served out the the window of a big concrete box. Why eat bread buns and sauce full of HFCS? What's so hard about stopping at a grocery store and getting an apple and a banana, maybe a side of trail mix, if you really can't handle it anymore? But, hey! I'm just bloviating.

Go Hungry? Wouldn't that cause more damage than looking up nutritional information? This is a lifestyle change. You don't have to give up anything. It is called Moderation!
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Fuddruckers has some decent options -- especially if you eat their leaner cuts of meat or veggie burger without the bun. I love their Napa Valley Salad without the garlic bread, which is about 450 calories.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I never eat out without first consulting Eat This, Not That!

They have a lot of national chains in their online database, but the books are the most helpful.

http://eatthis.menshealth.com/home
  • CariBgood
    CariBgood Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    The chicken snack wraps from Mc Donalds aren't too bad and one is pretty filling. 260 Calories
  • CariBgood
    CariBgood Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Actually, my nutritionist said that I shouldn't go hungry. She said I should eat whatever I like as long as I don't go over 800 calories per meal. I have also found that i burn about 700 calories from 30 minutes on the elliptical. So you are right it does more harm than good to go hungry.

She also said our tendency to go hungry and then overeating is what keeps our bodies in starvation mode. SOOOOOO I think it's good to try to find healthy choices at our favorite fast food places.
  • anzura
    anzura Posts: 171
    Options
    Go Hungry? Wouldn't that cause more damage than looking up nutritional information? This is a lifestyle change. You don't have to give up anything. It is called Moderation!

Going hungry is never a good option. It sets you up for binging later. However, I made a suggestion for emergency situations only. There's maybe once or twice a month, I'm out shopping and in need of food. Yes, I will hit up the fast food and make a good choice, it's not something I would do every day! I hope the OP knows that eating fast food is NEVER a good option no matter what you eat there. And I would hope the good people here who are trying to lose weight will understand that you CAN'T eat fast food on a daily basis...even the low calorie meals and expect to see results.
  • chelios7
    chelios7 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    It's Chipotle for me. You can build it as healthy as you like and the ingredients are probably the best you'll find in fast food. I go there once a week, feels like I'm cheating but I'm not!
  • mskon
    mskon Posts: 64
    Options
    Taco Bell actually has some \decent foods on their menu.

If I'm out and about {I have 2 little boys who love to stop and eat at random times} we'll hit McDonald's. I'll grab a fruit and yogurt parfait {w/o the granola, I hate crunch!} and a grilled chicken snack wrap and it fills me up nicely and I never feel guilty.
  • penmillion
    penmillion Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I like McD's Egg McMuffin (300), or for lunch their regular hamburger (250) and Fruit & Yogurt Parfait (160).

For a treat, the Strawberry Sundae is 280, vs. large triple thick vanilla milkshake at over 1000. Not worth it.

(edit) Oh, forgot the half-sized salads at Wendy's, baked potato, chili, etc.
  • VICKYORTIZ
    VICKYORTIZ Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I usually do Subway or Wendy's. They have good options. Oh and Panda Express too, do the entree with the veggies. :)