"I have no time to workout"

Options
Oh really ? Here are a list of times you can work out.

- Putting your child down for a nap / bed
- When you're so mad at the world you want to punch a wall
- Cable goes down (yes I'm aware, that sometimes cable also means internet)
- Friends cancel plans
- School / work lets out early
- Lunch break from college / work
- After putting laundry in the wash / dryer
- Waiting for the water tank to fill up and heat
- Mommy and me fitness classes
- quick 5-15 minutes between pomodori studying pomodorotechnique.com/

Replies

• EmilyTwist1
    EmilyTwist1 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Here's something I did to sneak in more activity. We all go to the bathroom at least once a day, right? So, do five squats before you sit down. Heck, if you don't mind possibly getting weird looks from people, you can do that before any time you sit down.
  • TMM211073
    TMM211073 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    If someone says to me they don't have time to work out, I respond by saying - well you obviously don't have time to lose weight then.... There is ALWAYS time to burn some calories, taking the stairs, getting off the bus a stop (or two) earlier, doing squats whilst waiting for the kettle to boil, or the fax machine to finish, walk the long way back home, sit-ups, or planks, or star jumps before bed, or when you get up.... the list goes on....

xXx
  • Tortitudekitty
    Tortitudekitty Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    ........usually the same people who say 'I'm don't want to lift weights because I'll get all sweaty and I don't want to look all muscley'.

Poor excuse!

I will always make time, you cannot beat the natural high from a good sesh at the gym!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Here's something I did to sneak in more activity. We all go to the bathroom at least once a day, right? So, do five squats before you sit down. Heck, if you don't mind possibly getting weird looks from people, you can do that before any time you sit down.

unless you have to drop a number two ….
  • GoingSlightlyMad
    GoingSlightlyMad Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

unless you have to drop a number two ….

Squatting might help you drop the number two ;)
  • Aradia_Silvermoon
    Aradia_Silvermoon Posts: 375 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    • park waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay away from the place you are going to so you get a short walk in.
    • Do calf raisers while standing at the sink washing dishes.
    • If you have stairs walk up and down them 5 times while supper is cooking or when you have a few minutes.
    • Chase you children around the house (my 13 year old Daughter and I wil chase each other up and down the halls and around the island in the kitchen. We are having fun, spending time together, and exercising all at once.)
    • When you take your kids to the park don't just sit and watch play with them or walk around the perimeter of the playground so you're exercising but still watching your kids.
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I work in a primary school and when we headed back the week before labor day a coworker said: "Oh I guess you aren't running now that we are back to work." I said not at all. I will find the time to run.

There are 24 hours in a day. I can reserve at least 1-1.5 of them for ME.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Often the people who don't make time to work out or do other things like read books spend hours a week surfing the internet and watching TV.
  • GoingSlightlyMad
    GoingSlightlyMad Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Just by doing 50 squats while you brush your teeth, you can add up to 200 squats throughout the day if you're hygienic enough. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I really can't fit time in my day to workout, but I won't go to bed without doing it. Several times/week my workout is done at 1030 at night...but it get's done!
  • blueblueheart
    Options
    ... if you don't mind possibly getting weird looks from people, you can do that before any time you sit down.

lol...I now feel I need to know someone who does this. We'd be besties. I'd take them everywhere.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    If someone doesn't have time to workout, it just means their health isn't important to them.
  • SylviazSpirit
    SylviazSpirit Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    YES YES YES! I'm so tired of the excuses from myself and this has been one of them. "Oh I just don't have enough time to work out" I want to smack myself for saying this or even thinking it. Simply, MAKE THE TIME! We make time for what we feel is important... so make it! I've also adopted the idea that even some is better than none. If I have 5 minutes here, 5 minutes there, GRAB THEM! Some is better than none. Get it when you can. Thanks for this post!
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    There are, also, plenty of short... 5-15 minute routines available online. I struggle to believe that some people simply cannot squeeze in 5-15 minutes for exercise a day.

I tend to agree with my history professor regarding time. We only 'don't have time' for something when we tell ourselves that we don't.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Oh really ? Here are a list of times you can work out.

Noting that all of these are opportunistic, other than the concept of lunch break I'd make a distinction between training and increasing activity. All of the opportunities identified are appropriate to the latter category, if they're not already fille with concurrent activity anyway.

I think it's worth recognising that our time is cyclic; work day, weekend/ day off, pre work, work, post work etc. So it becomes a question of fitting the training/ activity in around that. For me, long runs aren't going to happen mide-week because I don't have the 3-4 hours available to dedicate. Equally, at the other end of the spectrum there's a minimum time where training is going to have any discernible effect. Again, for me, anything less than a 30 minute session is a waste of time, by the time I'm changed, trained, then showered.

All that said, if you're talking about introducing someone to exercise, then there is some value in pointing out opportunistic activity. It's about choices, we all make them. If we're trying to help someone to increase activity level then position it in terms of benefit. What makes it better to do activity in that time window, rather than whatever else one might do.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    It is very easy to find time to "increase activity"...you do become a bit less productive at work tho...ie walking downstairs to get ice and not getting water from the cooler right there but walking back up stairs and across the catwalk to get it...or walking around as you are on the phone...

But that is not purposeful exercise.

You don't find time to exercise you make it.

I personally do it after work sometimes before I eat sometimes after I eat...but it is always after work, before I sit down to relax in the evening.

If it's the weekend it is usually after lunch about 2-3pm

Again it's not about "finding" time...it is about making it.