Lift heavy or more set/reps

Options
So I'm not quite doing free weights...yet. :smiley: I need to know if lifting heavier is better than more sets/reps. I have been doing for instance leg extensions at 130 pounds for 3 set at 15 reps each set. Today I did one set at 150 pounds. I shifted my work hours so I want to get the most bang for my buck, so to speak. I used to do 90 minutes at the gym - 45 minutes of cardio and 45 to do weights most things at 3 sets/15 reps. I'd still like to do 30 minutes of cardio but need to know if it's better to try to work in another session after work to do the whole 45 minute weight routine I'm doing now or to lift heavier and cut back on sets and reps. Any help/advice would be great.

Replies

• Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    There is a best method for your goals or what your body needs at the time. If you've been completely inactive and new to training you may consider a few weeks of endurance-stabilization training and then move into more strength-oriented training or you can jump right into strength training. There are plenty of easy to learn programs out there like StrongLifts 5x5, New Rules, and Starting Strength.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    heavier if your goal is anything other than muscle endurance. You don't need to be doing 15 reps... do either 6-12 or 1-5 or a mixture of both depending on your goals. I usually do 3 sets it the exercise I am doing is 6-12 reps or 5 sets if it is in the 1-5 rep range. You should really look into free weights. the leg extension machine is not the safest machine to be using for your knees. It has its place but you should do other quad dominant exercises instead.
  • donnylou
    donnylou Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I plan to hire a trainer for free weights in Jan. I just don't have time right now since the holiday season is a peak for me at work- from now until mid Jan. I haven't done ANY exercise until about 2 and a half months ago. I want to get my body used to something and then get serious with free weights in the new year when I have more time to learn and practice. My son just told me almost exactly what you said singingflutelady B) and he basking in the "I told you so" glow right now.
    I will check out those links/sites Sam_I_Am77 :D thanks for the help!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    cool :) I don't have a trainer but I follow a program
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    A big thing to remember is just because you can move the weight for that many sets/reps doesn't mean it's the RIGHT weight for you. If it's the right weight your movements should me smooth and controlled thought. The idea is to stimulate the muscle and you wont do that very well if you have to yank on the weight to move it. That's a pitfall I fell into while trying to up weight. I was like yeah I can do this. But then someone with a bit more experience showed me how I was throwing my back into doing bicep curls. Which made them kinda pointless. As my back was doing half the work, Since I was yanking on the weight.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy and less. Most important is to maintain proper form or injury will come. 5x5 sets of Squat, Deadlift, bent over row, overhead press, dumbbell bench. Stronglifts etc.
  • donnylou
    Options
    :D Yup, that's why I need a trainer...I know I'll do something wrong in the beginning....I want to learn the right way and not have to undo any mistakes...Thanks everyone for your help!
  • redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I like doing 3 sets of 6 for all my lifting, using a weight that I almost fail getting the 6th rep on the third set...then add weight when you get 3 sets of 6 easy.
  • berkayaliulker
    Options
    don't do cardio before lifting.
  • donnylou
    Options
    why no cardio before lifting?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    donnylou wrote: »

Tires your muscles out.

• donnylou
    Options
    Redfisher1974 _ that's pretty much what my son was telling me although it was to add a little weight with each subsequent set
  • donnylou
    Options
    I'm not running for that cardio time....just a good paced walk. I am SO not a runner! ;)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Do whatever makes you happy then. *shrug*
  • stupidloser
    stupidloser Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I just read a book regarding a new weightlifting method, From what I understand, 1 set is all you need. When trying to induce muscle growth, intensity is what causes it. Not duration. It even claims that all you need to do is 1 set of 1 repitition with a 1-6 second hold while contracting your muscle.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options

It's because if you're doing cardio that makes your muscles at all sore or tired, there's a chance that it may compromise your ability to lift safely or successfully. On the flip side, if you do a short warm-up, lift first, and then do your cardio afterward, your cardio won't really suffer even if your muscles are fatigued.

It's probably okay if you're just walking, but if you're doing a more strenuous treadmill program or something with a steep incline that really gets your leg muscles going, you may want to consider doing your weight training first. :)

• donnylou
    Options
    bajoyba wrote: »

It's because if you're doing cardio that makes your muscles at all sore or tired, there's a chance that it may compromise your ability to lift safely or successfully. On the flip side, if you do a short warm-up, lift first, and then do your cardio afterward, your cardio won't really suffer even if your muscles are fatigued.

It's probably okay if you're just walking, but if you're doing a more strenuous treadmill program or something with a steep incline that really gets your leg muscles going, you may want to consider doing your weight training first. :)
    bajoyba, thanks for the clear explanation...I only walk at max 3.0 on the treadmill and there's no incline...
    I like your suggestion of doing just a warm up (that's what others have suggested), doing the lifting and then going back to the cardio.
    I definitely do not want to injure myself after just getting back into a healthy lifestyle.
    I appreciate your help!!