Calories in popped vs. unpopped popcorn

Options
I've always wondered why the nutrition labels on popcorn give different calorie counts for unpopped kernels and popped. Does anyone know why this is? And how do I track it if there really is a difference? Can a regular bag of butter popcorn really be 500 calories? (I eat Essential Everyday brand.) Thanks in advance for your help!

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Microwave popcorn labeling is weird for sure. A regular bag of popcorn definitely can have 500 calories though - so not worth it plus that's how many servings?! I stick to the 100 calorie mini-bags - no math skills needed and it's just one serving per bag so no temptation to eat more than that!
  • iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Different weight for unpopped and popped, and therefor different calories?

I always go by the unpopped information and then make it myself.

Because it is buttered, I have no problem believing a bag can be 500 cal.. but it would help to know the size of the bag ;)

Unbuttered and unoiled popcorn is actually fairly low on calories, compared to how much space it takes - so excellent snacks.
  • Pecantan1
    Pecantan1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I found this on: http://www.popcorn.org/NutritionRecipes/NutritionYou/NutritionalInformation/tabid/96/Default.aspx

##Air-popped popcorn has only 31 calories per cup; oil-popped popcorn has only 55 calories per cup.
    ##When lightly buttered, popcorn contains about 133 calories per cup.
    ##Popcorn is a whole grain, making it a good-for-you food.
    ##Popcorn provides energy-producing complex carbohydrates
    ##Popcorn contains fiber, providing roughage the body needs in the daily diet.
    ##Popcorn is naturally low in fat and calories.
    ##Popcorn has no artificial additives or preservatives, and is sugar-free.
    ##Popcorn is ideal for between meal snacking since it satisfies and doesn't spoil the appetite.
    ##3 cups of popcorn equal one serving from the grain group.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Uh, to answer the question.

It's a volume thing, a cup of kernels would be far more than a cup of popped corn. If you go by weight, you'll be in a better place.
  • bokaba
    bokaba Posts: 171 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Repeat of above.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I don't know but I just ate a whole bag of popcorn and I'm still freaking hungry.