Lean bulk

Options
So here is my situation...I just did a 15 week cut, leaned out by 20 ish pounds. ( that ended the last week of August ) I have a decent amount of muscle built up but currently do not know my bodyfat % or bmr. Last time I checked, bmr was around 1550. My bf% is probably around 10-12. I have decided to do a lean bulk and gain mass slowly this time around without gaining as much fat as the first time ( I over did it with the Oreos lol ) I've been lifting for almost 3 years. Since I ended my cut, I was about 129 lbs. I know my metabolism is high as all hell now.. But my weight hasn't changed for almost 2 months now... However, I do see my muscle mass increasing. I have increased my calorie intake (weekly or bi weekly) over the course of the past 1.5 month. So...should I just keep increasing each week if I do not see weight gain on the scale? I would think I should've seen an increase by at least 1-2 lbs by now..since I am seeing muscle mass changing. Thoughts?

Replies

• Kimsobczak1982
    Options
    Also let me add that when I first started my lean bulk I upped my calorie intake from 1700-1900 in deficit to 2150.. I didn't see weight gain so I added 200 cals. I then went up to 2500 last week, and still same weight. So this week I am going up to 2700. According to tracking on fitbit and iifym calculator my TDEE is around 2030. Anyone out there have any thoughts yet?
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    As a female your BF% is not 10-12%.
    Calculators are just calculators. Add 100 calories (or 200 I guess if that's what you want) every few weeks if you are not gaining ~0.5lbs every week, add until you gain.

your problem could also be that you are not weighing food, which might mean that you log 2700 cals but only eat 2500. I'd rec buying a food scale for sure, weigh solids and measure liquids if your scale doesn't weigh liquids (mine does).

But if your muscle mass appears to be increasing and you've not gained scale weight, you may be doing more of a recomp right now. I recommend trying the links in my profile to estimate how many cals you need to maintain because the first two allow you to enter in hours/minutes of different activity levels, not just exercise time. This will take into account your non-exercise activity. Since you appear to be doing TDEE, enter in your average exercise as well (will be moderate - of course only count the time it takes from start to finish of each exercise, not rests between exercises. Rests between sets still are included though). Then add 10% to that, which should be enough for a slower bulk. And if you don't gain, then add another 100 cals, monitor, etc. Although if the cals it estimates are lower than your current average intake (so add up the last, say, 2 weeks of food and divide by 14, see what the average daily intake has been), then obviously don't lower it to that.
  • Kimsobczak1982
    Options
    I am pretty lean right now and at my leanest in the past I was 12%... And that was about 2 years ago when I didn't have as much muscle mass as I do now. (This was taken on bio electrical imp scale..not sure how accurate)So I would estimate I'm probably around at least 12 right now.
    I don't measure on a food scale, but I have measured some food items with cups, usually just eyeball my portions. My maintenance intake was around 2030-2100. It's only been 1week since I was at 2500 so I guess I can just gauge progress after this week of being at 2700 and I will definitely look into a food scale. Thanks for the links. I'll check them out.
  • Kimsobczak1982
    Options
    I am not sure on what my maintenance calorie intake is. I've used calculators and that's what it tells me( they don't take into account how much mass you have ) do you need me to post a picture of my body? I know I'm not above 13%. Ive leaned out as if I was doing figure competition...just didn't get on stage. It was all for myself to discipline and see what muscle I had been working on for the last year.
  • Kimsobczak1982
    Options
    What sounds far fetched about it? Everyone's body is different.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I am not sure on what my maintenance calorie intake is. I've used calculators and that's what it tells me( they don't take into account how much mass you have ) do you need me to post a picture of my body? I know I'm not above 13%. Ive leaned out as if I was doing figure competition...just didn't get on stage. It was all for myself to discipline and see what muscle I had been working on for the last year.

Pics would help to assess bf %, although that won't really help answer your question. 10-12% is VERY lean. Like, dried out stage ready lean... so I'm willing to bet you're not walking around on a day to day basis at that level. Regardless, it doesn't really matter anyway...

On the premise of bulking though... I would slowly add calories in over time until you see the scale begin to move. Eat at that level until you stall again, and rinse/repeat.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Just curious, by what method are you estimating your BF%? Not trying to doubt but just wondering since various methods are more or less accurate.
  • Kimsobczak1982
    Options
    I know how lean it is. If you can see your rear delts, vmo and striations in your back I would say that's pretty lean, correct? I'm not looking to get in a discussion about my bodyfat percentage I just wanted some thoughts or advice on why anyone thought the scale may not be moving even though my clothing is getting tighter, getting stronger and seeing changes in my physique.
    Thank you, I am going to see how this week goes...and stay at that for perhaps 2 weeks.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    I know how lean it is. If you can see your rear delts, vmo and striations in your back I would say that's pretty lean, correct? I'm not looking to get in a discussion about my bodyfat percentage I just wanted some thoughts or advice on why anyone thought the scale may not be moving even though my clothing is getting tighter, getting stronger and seeing changes in my physique.
    Thank you, I am going to see how this week goes...and stay at that for perhaps 2 weeks.

The scale is just a gross measure of weight and not of composition. If you are gaining muscle but losing fat, water, or whatever else it's not going to tell you. The mirror, tape measure, and calipers are much better for determining what's going on short of paying for a body comp test.

Don't forget that there is also a psychological component for expectations etc so unless you are keeping accurate track of you measurements there could be non-physical components to what you perceive. However, I think you are likely gaining some muscle and losing some fat. I often notice when I'm leaning down that the scale might stick but I notice changes in my body and fit of clothing that are confirmed by tape measure and calipers but sometimes I just think I see a change that might not be there either.

Sorry, it's complicated but I'm sure you are on the right track by the looks of it.
  • Kimsobczak1982
    Options
    I have used a handhold device (don't know the name) a bio electrical impedance scale (sp?) and calipers. They all told me different numbers and these were all taken throughout the last 2 years. I leaned down to stage ready leanness without doing any type of water/carb manipulation. At that point when I got to my desired level of leanness, I slowly incorporated more calories in. I understand how bodyfat % looks on women and I know how lean those numbers are.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    You can toss impedance but calipers are decent and tape measures can also be used with online calculators to confirm the calipers. Not sure the device but if it had metal grips then it was also impedance and not very accurate either.
  • Kimsobczak1982
    Options
    Wheelhouse, thank you!
    I do take measurements and always have since the day I started my fitness journey over 3.5 yrs ago. I am seeing small increases on certain bodyparts I am trying to build.. And I take progress pics, which I can see my delts, hamstrings, glutes and back thickening. It's just hard for me to wrap my head around the concept that I should have gained something by now. I know the scale is just a number..but still it boggles my mind!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    Wheelhouse, thank you!
    I do take measurements and always have since the day I started my fitness journey over 3.5 yrs ago. I am seeing small increases on certain bodyparts I am trying to build.. And I take progress pics, which I can see my delts, hamstrings, glutes and back thickening. It's just hard for me to wrap my head around the concept that I should have gained something by now. I know the scale is just a number..but still it boggles my mind!

Most people have a love-hate relationship with the scale!
  • Kimsobczak1982
    Options
    Yea I stopped using it (they have it at the y) I did track every 3 months on it but it started to annoy me so I quit using it. I tried using calipers, had my fiancé do the triceps measurement but it was my first time and I don't know how accurate I was on the readings. Yes it was impedance

• Kimsobczak1982
    Options
    Lol ..no kidding!
    I choose to go by how my physique looks and feels rather than a number but I still think it is important to track that to make sure you're on the right track. I second guess myself soemtimes..