Halfway! With pics & charts!

Options
Solar_Cat
Solar_Cat Posts: 188 Member
As of this morning, 89 days on MFP counting calories, 21 lbs lost, halfway to goal of 156.

Stats
Male
5'9"
Medium frame

Starting
Weight: 198
Trouser size: 38-40

Current
Weight: 177
Trouser size: 34
Est. body fat: 23%

Goal
Weight: 156
Est. body fat: 15%-17%

Before pics are from early August. I had lost a few pounds but there wasn't much change in the look of the body. After pics are from today.

Front view shows a little change:
emq5893os5ww.png

Side view is more dramatic:
ck4vh8kfl5ed.png

In this chart, the blue line with the stars is daily weight, the red dotted line is 8-day trailing average, and the yellow dotted line is 28-day trailing average. Interesting pattern. First five weeks, two big whooshes. Next four weeks, stalled. After that, fairly steady. There were no important changes in eating or activity during the whole timespan. If you seem to be stalled, don't despair!
iqt6lw3oki20.png

I'm adjusting my goals for slightly slower weight loss. After the stall it's been more than one lb/week. By adding 50 calories/day and not compensating for lower TDEE, I expect to cut it to about 0.9 lb/week.

Lots more to do! Halfway on the scale is not the same as halfway on the calendar. I expect it will take at least twice as long to do the other half.

Replies

• ACanadian22
    ACanadian22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Great job!!! You look great :smile:
  • viciouslitany
    viciouslitany Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    awesome progress! and your mindset is enviable, too.
  • Rachelwin65
    Rachelwin65 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • Solar_Cat
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words, folks! You're never too old to change.
  • cryptonyt
    cryptonyt Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    That is fantastic! The sideview is very dramatic. You should be very very proud of yourself!
  • peejaygee1
    peejaygee1 Posts: 3,588 Member
    Options
    Great job...I love your chart too! Where did you get it?
  • Solar_Cat
    Options
    I made the chart using a spreadsheet program, Calc from the LibreOffice suite. Excel would do just as well, but LibreOffice and its cousin OpenOffice are free!
  • sbrookes9
    sbrookes9 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Way to go!
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Awesome work, and the Excel geek inside of me loves the addition of the charts for additional reference.
  • Solar_Cat
    edited October 2014
    Options
    The chart is kind of cool, isn't it? I like seeing the averages. The general idea is that as long as the "actual" line stays below the moving average, progress is in the right direction. There's only one spot where it isn't below the 28-day average, just at the end of the long plateau.

I also like the charts and calculations at the site WeighTracker. Rather than a trailing average, it uses an undisclosed formula to calculate a "true" weight. Seems to work pretty well. And the charts are animated! Spiffy! What it doesn't do, unfortunately, is chart more than 30 days at a time.
  • 1nnocenteyes
    1nnocenteyes Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Well done, you can really see that it is coming off, keep up the good work!!
  • DiamondDiva914
    DiamondDiva914 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Two thumbs waaaaay up!
  • MrsMizart
    MrsMizart Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Very well done!
  • rlmassman84
    rlmassman84 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Love the charts, it really helps show your progress.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!