Just diagnosed with Diabetes this Tuesday.

Options
I'm twenty-three years old and weigh 390 pounds. I just found out that I have diabetes
and it's time to make the change. It's time to get healthy and get myself together.
I just started taking metformin and I can say I feel very very sick on it. I'm hoping that it's
a temporary feeling and my body just isn't used to it. The doctor said diabetes can be
reversible, which I never knew. She said especially at my age, if I start working for it NOW,
she thinks I can do it. In three months, we're going to check my progress and whether or not
I can get these sugar levels under control with just medication. Hopefully I won't need insulin
shots. But this is how my week has been so far and why I'm here.

A little about myself: My name is Maggie and I was born in Atlanta but I'm currently residing in
Florida. I have an anxiety disorder that I'm trying to overcome. I feel like with physical health,
I'll be able to improve my mental health but it takes dedication which is hard for me with I'm
too afraid to even go outside sometimes. This diabetes diagnosis really puts some drive into
me that I don't think I ever would have gotten otherwise. I plan on going outside a little bit at
a time and increasing my distance as time goes on. Because of my isolation due to anxiety,
I also have a vitamin D deficiency. I honestly need all the support I can get. I'm hoping to find
people on here who are also diabetic and/or also have severe anxiety or people who just need
to lose a huge amount of weight.

I'm glad to be here. :) It's definitely step one for me.

Replies

• LexytheNerd
    LexytheNerd Posts: 44 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I know how you feel. I'm 23 and was diagnosed in july of this year. I can say eating right and exercise really do help. When I was diagnosed I was at 306 and had a a1c of 15.7. Six weeks later I was my a1c was at 11.4. My levels were at 500s and now I stay in the low 100s most of the time.
  • pushin400
    Options
    Thanks for the reply! Yes, I'm totally dedicated and excited to make the change. :)