calories burned during the firm workouts

Options
Hi all,Im new here.I was wondering if anyone else does the firm workouts and if anyone knows how amny calories are burned in an hour doing them?I have the ones from the 80's and some newer ones to.Thanks

Replies

• jwillie76
    jwillie76 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm new too and just started doing the Firm again. I go by the 6-8 in step aerobics and sometimes strength training. I was surpised that the Firm was not an option to pick from.
  • buffyanne1
    buffyanne1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Me to,I guess no one does them anymore.But for me they are the most effective I have done.
  • scrandell0409
    Options
    Hi there, I do the firm workouts too, I love them! I found an article from the Mayo clinic that said a 160 pound woman Burns 383 calories doing a 45 min. Firm workout. Hope this helps.
  • doddrose
    doddrose Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi

I just read your post -- I too do the Firm - I have many of their work outs -- I too wondered why MFP did not have info in their exercise thingy..

The Firm really works...I have their newest 20 min Express - really kicks your behind.
  • deeda67
    deeda67 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi! I know this post is a year old, but I had to comment. I have Volume 1, 2, 4 and then the body sculpt thing they had out years ago and my go to one is still Volume One - leggings and all. I lost 40 lbs when I was younger to it and it seems is the only type exercise that has ever worked for me! I guess my body needs the weights and cardio at the same time. Anyhoo, I put mine in as High Impact Aerobics, since The Firm is not listed or aerobics with weights. Hope you are doing well with it!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Hi all,Im new here.I was wondering if anyone else does the firm workouts and if anyone knows how amny calories are burned in an hour doing them?I have the ones from the 80's and some newer ones to.Thanks

Look up your specific DVD here: http://www.collagevideo.com/exercise-videos/the-firm-exercise-videos-19

This will give you the length, category, impact level, and (fitness) level of your workout. Then log into MFP using one of the categories

For example: The Firm: Time Crunch Cardio is listed as 3 - 20 minute workouts. 1 & 2 are a combination of strength/aerobics (ie: circuit training here on MFP) .... workout #3 is listed as 20 minutes of areobics (mixed impact)

Just be warned ..... MFP numbers are pretty high for some people.
  • chrisfish3
    Options
    Hi Everyone, I am new to myfitnesspal as well. I do the firm workouts and absolutely love them. I have old ones all they way up to the 20 minute express workouts. I wish there was an easy way to find out how many calories are burned with each workout. They are so effective that I think we should all get 500 calories per workout. Ok but really, I wish there was a guide.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone, I am new to myfitnesspal as well. I do the firm workouts and absolutely love them. I have old ones all they way up to the 20 minute express workouts. I wish there was an easy way to find out how many calories are burned with each workout. They are so effective that I think we should all get 500 calories per workout. Ok but really, I wish there was a guide.

Chris - see the post above..........I put index cards in each one of my DVDs that have number of minutes, category, impact level, etc.......I looked the info up on collagevideo.com. That way I always have the information ready to input. Find the title of your DVD and click on it....loads of information.

Calorie burns are based upon a number of factors.....height, weight, age, gender, exertion level, and more. There is no way for MFP to put in a value for each and every single workout DVD (there are thousands of them).

MFP estimates calorie burn based upon the "type" of workout. Be warned MFP has no way of estimating your exertion level ....this is a total guess.

Under cardiovascular......select aerobics & put in the number of minutes....MFP will give you an estimate.

Under cardiovascular......select circuit training (this is weights + aerobics) & put in the number of minutes....MFP will give you an estimate

Under cardiovascular......select strength training (this is weights or body weight exercises) & put in the number of minutes....MFP will give you an estimate.

There are many more MFP categories. Example.....some other Firm DVDs .....step aerobics, pilates & yoga.
  • karleigh55
    Options
    I'm so excited to hear that others are doing The Firm. My tapes are ancient and still on VHS. I lost 100 pounds six or seven years ago doing these workouts. I then stopped working out about a year ago and have gained 30 pounds. I'm back to working out and have been on MFP for a while but have just recently gotten serious. I'm going to see about getting the tapes transferred on to DVDs because I love them. I was in such fantastic shape using these workouts. I started off, actually just today, with the Aerobic Interval Training Total Body Workout. So does 383 calories burned sound right? I'll go to the website listed to check it out.
  • BeautifulRoses11
    Options
    I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to chime in that I use The Firm DVDs as well! I rotate between a number of them. I have the trans firmer step and the sculpting stick. I cross train with these DVDs with running. I'm glad others use The Firm, too!
  • Nancy404
    Nancy404 Posts: 1
    Options
    I used a break down from The Firm Believers Club and estimated it with aerobics - general and strength training. The closest thing on MFP's exercise database was Curves Circuit Training. I think that gives a pretty good estimate of the calories burned for most of the older videos.
  • skipthispart
    Options
    You may have discovered this already, but I just wanted to let you know that the are now selling the 80s original Firm workout on DVD. This is the best all over work video I ever used years ago.
  • Kiwi_Billings
    Kiwi_Billings Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I also love The Firm workouts! I have had excellent results with them, when I use them regularly. I have for years, and then life caught up with me and I stopped working out.... I'm getting back now, starting with Aqua Zumba/Aerobics, and using The Firm Express series on alternating workout days when not swimming. I wish we knew what the burn was.... It's gotta be up there!
  • orenws
    orenws Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi, there. I do the Firm classic workouts and a lot of folks still do them. If you're a member of Facebook and would like to join a community of Firm Believers, check out the FB group, "The Firm" Original Workout Series https://www.facebook.com/groups/64275440882/
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    The Firm unfortunately is out of business now.

I've been collecting all their dvds on Amazon, cause they are really the best workouts. I hope someone buys the franchise and restarts it, there are so many fans out there.....
  • ajokedare
    Options
    There is a website where you can purchase the Classic Firm videos on dvd. I think it's called Fitness Favorites, that's where I got mine. Anyways, I think I will list my Firm workouts as high intensity aerobics as someone else mentioned above, seems pretty close
  • lilyangiolini
    lilyangiolini Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love the FIRM videos!! I own some, and do others on the giai channel on our roku box. They are the most effective workout I have found. Thanks for the info on the calories and such. :) Happy fitness ladies!
  • xoamberjillian
    xoamberjillian Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    buffyanne1 wrote: »

This may help - For Firm Express, about 10 calories per minute.
    https://digitalcommons.wku.edu/ijesab/vol5/iss2/2/
  • xoamberjillian
    xoamberjillian Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I do the firm workouts too, I love them! I found an article from the Mayo clinic that said a 160 pound woman Burns 383 calories doing a 45 min. Firm workout. Hope this helps.

Wow - I wonder what I at 4'11'' would burn! Prob half that!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options

Wow - I wonder what I at 4'11'' would burn! Prob half that!

Very accurate formula for walking/running. Then translate.
    https://exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs

How translate?
    That 160 lb woman in 45 min to burn 383 gross needs to be walking 4.7 mph @ 0 incline.

Enter those figures to confirm, and then change to your weight. There's your gross burn. Can change the time too for different workouts.
    Then change to net for logging on MFP.

Oh, it's weight, not height that matters. Using muscles to move weight around burns calories, not moving height around. You weigh half as much?
    How tall was that 160 lb woman anyway that your height would matter to compare?