Hey, I'm not good at this and want to know how to improve- advice please

Options
I am 30-35kgs (66lbs-77lbs) overweight and have no muscle mass, my joints, hips and knees hurt and I am exhausted all the time. These are all my excuses/reasons for not exercising. I know I should suck it up and exercise but I could cry, I am so tired and sore. Is it pointless to have a redbull or something to get me going? What do you do? I have tried to lose weight many times before and I guess this time I want to actually do it not just say I am going to but nothing has changed.

Replies

• MrsJane05
    MrsJane05 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Just start with one day at a time, one step at a time. Make small goals and build on them, you just have to START!!! Goodluck
  • mikejugo
    mikejugo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I agree with the "one step at a time" advice. I was over 100 pounds overweight myself, but now i'm 25 pounds away from my goal weight. It took me around 8 years to reach my current weight if you factor in the up and down movement of my weight.

The "myfitnesspal" app has really helped me keep track of my caloric intake.

Also, 30 minutes to an hour maximum of serious gym time (circuit training) 2 to 3 times a week, with a certified trainer if possible, will help you a lot. Make sure first that you get a doctor's clearance.
  • kharmon2013
    kharmon2013 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Have you had any doctors check ups lately? You might want to get some blood work done. There could be an issue with your energy level. But, with that being said often when you are overweight you can have joint and energy problems. Start off slow taking walks even if it's only 10-15 minutes. Some light weight training at a gym with a trainer would help improve muscle mass.
  • dlr165
    dlr165 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Walk. If you don't exercise and have to start somewhere, walking is the best answer.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Take it slow, see a doctor if you have serious issues. Start with walking, or swimming which is easier on the joints. As was said--it's essential to start. Things won't just get better not moving. Do stretching exercises before working out. Best of luck. :)
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Once your doctor gives you clearance, try doing something you actually enjoy, because that will help you make movement a lifestyle change. Walking, dancing, even riding a stationary recumbent bike might be better for you at this point than trying to do something strenuous that doesn't feel rewarding. I started off at one mile on my stationary bike and I could do 10-12 miles within a few months. Don't give up...and you aren't an oink, either...overhaul that self talk!! :)
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,142 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    RedBull or other energy drink is acceptable if safe for you to have the listed ingredients. If you're not sure , drink just one half of the recommended serving...many ppl have coffee, tea or energy drinks b4 the workout. Get started in the way that works best for you. GL