1200 calories "kick start" or long game plan?

Options
How long do people generally follow the 1200 calorie "kick-start" for?

I am losing 2lbs each week, so that's great, but how do I know when to up the calories - if at all? Do I just continue with the status quo?

Thank you.

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Recalculate your goals every 10 lbs or so and set a smaller target loss rate as you approach goal. You want to be down to 0.25 lbs/week as you approach maintenance.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,039 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I dont think there is any such thing as "kick start" calorie goals.

Start with the calorie goal you intend to continue on with (although after losing 20 lb or thereabouts it is suggested to re-set to lower level)

Work out your appropriate calorie goal by plugging your stats into MFP - making sure your desired loss rate is realistic and your activity level is appropriate.

or use another calculator and TDEE method if you prefer.

Then eat that many calories per day.

Unless you are an older short petite woman with a sedentary lifestyle, your goal will be more than 1200.

ETA: just checked your profile - you are 31 years old and only have 10 kg to lose.

Your loss rate should only be 1/2 lb per week
  • LilyOfTheValley008
    LilyOfTheValley008 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Usually your calories are higher at the start (as you are heavier) then go down as you adjust them to suit your stats. Beginning with 1200 then immediately increasing won't "kick start" anything, it would be best to just start with what is recommended for you now (TDEE method or some sort of calorie calculator I suppose).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Why do you think 1200 is a kickstart?

People get 1200 because their maintenance at the activity level they select is 2200 or less (common for women) and they say they want to lose 2 lbs or more or because they choose a smaller weekly goal but are smaller/older and have maintenance that is lower (for example, 1700 or less gets you 1200 as a goal for 1 lb loss). As others have said, you should see if your weekly goal makes sense for you.

In all of these cases, though, you are expected to eat back exercise calories, which will generally mean that 1200 is only the goal if you aren't exercising.

I suppose I did 1200 to start and raised my calories as I went on, but that's because I wasn't doing much exercise at first and now do.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    No stats, which makes it hard to comment.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i've been doing 1200 net calories and losing about 1 pound per week - more if lots of exercise, less if little exercise. i'll know it's time to change calorie amount if i lose more or less weight in a given period, reach what i consider maintenance or change my goals - at some point, i plan to focus on adding muscle rather than losing weight.