Sharp pain in thighs (quads?) with lunges

Options
Phrick
Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
edited October 2014 in Fitness and Exercise
I recently discovered the IronStrength workout for runners on Runner's World and have done it just twice including this morning - the first time it was hard but I made it through most of it without pain (until DOMS - oh my!). I took 5 days between then and today, with walks and short runs in between just due to timing issues. This morning I noticed that I couldn't do the lunges at all without sharp pain in the middle of the thigh on each side - I don't know the terminology and it's hard to describe so I found a picture - where the arrow is pointing is where it hurts, both sides, during lunges. When running or walking it is fine. I do tend to have very tight calves and thigh muscles.

EDIT TO ADD: The pain is in the rear leg when in lunge position - does that make sense? The leg with the knee toward the floor.

Obvious answer: go to the doc. And I will, but until I can be seen, does anyone have any ideas on stretches, exercises or anything else I can do to help? I have a foam roller but it is the smooth kind (as opposed to the massaging kind with all the bumps) but I'm not sure how best to use it.

Replies

• jamesdavidy
    Options
    Oh dear sound painful. I would rest, use Ice packs, takes Ibuprophen (if you can) then awaite your doctor appointment, Perhaps Iron strength may not be for you...Good luck and take care...and REST
  • tsikkz
    tsikkz Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    It still could be doms, also a lack of flexibility could cause a minior strain there, people often have lower flexibility in their front quads there especially runners. I would foam roll it if you can stand the pain (quads are pretty meaty and not really too painful to foam roll) on your stomach prop yourself up on your arms, cross one leg over the other (to increase pressure on the other quad) and roll your thighs one at a time using your arms for leverage. Be sure to roll from different angles (rock your body side to side)
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    It could also be tight hips playing into it. Tight hips (which runners often suffer from) can cause all sorts of problems. I would google "yoga hip openers" and try to implement some of those along with foam rolling until you get in to see your doctor.
  • maddiembeh
    maddiembeh Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just wondering if you ever found a solution? I have the exact same pain and not sure if it's something that will resolve on its own or if I need to see my doctors.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    You likely lack quad flexibility and it's pulling on the rectus femoris. Work on stretching this out out by doing these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccLNnkEMqXo

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • sarochka85
    sarochka85 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    What kind of band is that, please? Do you have brand suggestions?
  • DreesPerformanceTraining
    DreesPerformanceTraining Posts: 187 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    If it is what it sounds like, you are probably looking at a pulled muscle or some tendon irritation. The back leg gets stretched quite a bit with a lunge, which causes the pain. I would avoid stretching it aggressively - any tightness you feel is more of a protective mechanism in the body. Stretching it could likely slow the healing process.

I would rest, do some light massage on the area, and find an alternative exercise until it feels better. Deadlifts are good and, in my experience, squats seem to put less stress on the front part of the thigh.
  • Moonblood1808
    Moonblood1808 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    b]EDIT TO ADD: The pain is in the rear leg when in lunge position - does that make sense? The leg with the knee toward the floor.[/b]

Hi Phrick,

From what you describe it sounds as though you have a tight hip flexor. Try stretching it out regularly. Tight hip flexors are quite common. When you stretch them out, try to have the front leg on an elevation (about knee height) from there sit into a deep lunge position through the front leg while setting the rear leg back as far as comfortable, remaining soft in the knee joint of the rear leg. Allow your rear heel to lift up if your physiology requires that. Keep your heart high and support your weight with your hands on top of the front leg. Now make sure the hip of the rear leg is extended but not strained until you feel a stretch in the top half of your thigh muscles. Make sure it remains pleasant and hold the position for as long as is needed to release the tension a good bit for a minimum of between 15 and 30 sec.

The same stretch can be done on the ground.

Now this is just a presumption I've made based on what you described.
    If it's happening just while you lunge, also consider whether you place too much weight into the back leg which would force muscles to contract sharply that are only supposed to support your weight, not take it during the exercise. If that is the case, adjust your position by shifting forward and backward on the front foot until the strain is gone. Most of your weight during the lunge should be in the front leg, not the back leg.

I hope this helps =)