bod pod, what to expect?

Options
Im so excited about my appointment but im curious, what should i expect from a bod pod?

Replies

• fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Not much, unfortunately:

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=175

I was pretty bummed out... :-\
  • bigred503
    Options
    so if it isnt all that accurate, what is the best way to measure body fat? I personally would like comfort in knowing how close i am to my goals and how to alter my routine due to my current status.
  • bigred503
    Options
    experiences? anyone?
  • doctorandrew
    Options
    DEXA is supposedly the gold standard. Bod Pod can be pretty reliable though.
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    DEXA is supposedly the gold standard. Bod Pod can be pretty reliable though.

Yeah, no:

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=260

Hydrostatic weighing is apparently the best method:

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=162
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I was told hydrostatic was the most accurate. I had mine done at the university and it seemed to be good and the method makes sense to me. It's not a lot of fun though unless you think drowning is!
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    I just had mine done for the second time. Im not the least bit claustrophobic so it wasnt an issue. think of it you are on a space ship and have to climb into one of the escape pods cause the ship is going to blow up. your ears may pop but other than that it isnt that frightening
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    bigred503 wrote: »
    experiences? anyone?

Take clothes off, weigh, put on silly hat, sit in Bodpod, get out, get dressed, get results.
  • TXRanchGirl
    Options
    I had a reading done 2 months ago..I had to wear form fitting clothes..wore biker shorts and a sports bra...had to wear swim cap. There were like 3 different measurements taken. it was alittle weird, but glad I got it done
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I've had it done twice and it seemed quite accurate - certainly more accurate than BIA (laughable) and calipers. When I compared to online BF estimations, Bod Pod came in with a lower body fat percentage. This corresponds to my BMR test as well, where my metabolism tested 10% higher than online estimations. Basically confirmed that I have a lower BF percentage than would be expected for my weight, which is what I would have expected based on what I know about myself. And, over my two tests, the results were consistent with my weight loss efforts. So for me, it was definitely worthwhile. My test was performed in a hospital lab which may be less prone to errors.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    You can expect a reasonable estimate that is not much better than looking in the mirror an guesstimating.
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking of having this done too. My scale does BIA method, and I'd like to see how far off it is. One of these days when I can get a sitter during the day, sigh