"Eating Clean" vs Counting Calories

Options
2»

Replies

• lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I think the only reason I put a VS is is because from doing a lot of reading, eating packaged food even when counting calories is just plain bad for you. It has hidden sugar, and preservatives that effect your over-all health. (So I've read)

What does packaged food have to do with counting calories?
  • jessica43062
    jessica43062 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm going a totally different route here and addressing something essential to my* long-term success:

If you're bored with counting calories and you stop completely without any substitute, you're screwed.

If you're bored with eating clean and you stop completely without any substitute, you're screwed.

But if you can maintain your motivation, interest, and generally good habits by switching between two things you know you can do --- while still losing weight (she said she still loses, just not as fast), then ABSOLUTELY! This plan sounds awesome. Switching between two viable options is brilliant. She's replacing calorie counting with a super healthy diet. She's replacing a super healthy diet with calorie restriction. And, I assume, she doesn't go from eating totally clean to eating 1,200 calories of Doritos every day, so the calorie counting option is still a moderately respectable diet in terms of what is in what she's eating.

I'm going to try this. The primary problem I have in yo-yoing is that I'm ALL ABOUT calorie counting and weighing everything and being proactive for a few weeks, and then it gets cumbersome and irritating and my response is to drop everything. But if I plan to switch it up every 4-weeks, and intend NOT to count every other month, maybe that will help in long-term success.

I know that lacks the traditional wisdom expounded all other these threads of consistency, but frankly, consistency doesn't work for me. Consistency is boring and I have too much going on in my life and too many regular changes for consistency to be sustainable in any part of my day-to-day. I've aimed for consistency consistently for 15 years and have consistently failed in lasting consistency.
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    lorib642 wrote: »
    I think the only reason I put a VS is is because from doing a lot of reading, eating packaged food even when counting calories is just plain bad for you. It has hidden sugar, and preservatives that effect your over-all health. (So I've read)

Tons of sugar and sodium...depending on the product.

For example:

I just had this can of soup for lunch. It's 90 calories per serving and it's two servings per can. So you might think wow, that's really healthy.
    0005100021168_500X500.jpg

However, eating that can pretty much put me at my limit of daily sodium as that can had 1,580 mg of sodium.

Now, had I chose to make my own soup I could have controlled the amount of sodium in the recipe.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    sm1zzle wrote: »

I didn't ask that right. OP said she said vs because of packaged food. You don't have to eat packaged food to count calories. I am not sure I understand what packaged food has to do with the conversation
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    The core of any diet meant for weight management is the calorie count.
  • BetterKimmer
    BetterKimmer Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit is how to lose weight. Learn more about macros to discover more of what balance of nutrition you should be consuming, and, yes, making "cleaner" choices is best for your health and possibly get you to your goal more quickly. But to lose weight and keep it off only chose a lifestyle of eating that you can do forever. If not, you may very well bounce right back when you are tired of your fad diet.

Good luck to you!
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Like the IIFYM vs Clean Eating thread, you're talking about 2 different things.

People count calories so they know how much they are eating, which is key to weight and body comp goals.

People eat clean for overall health reasons.

The 2 concepts are completely unrelated. This is not a "versus" conversation.

People eat clean for overall health reasons and to lose weight. I know a lot of people who are doing it and dropping weight rapidly.

Yay anecdotes! Are they eating "clean" in a surplus? What would happen if they ate the exact same macros and cals but one was a "clean" diet and one was "unclean"?

Ha, right-on. What is eating "clean" anyway? There's no industry standard definition to my knowledge; eating clean can mean different things to different people.

Eating "clean" doesn't mean you can't gain weigth because I assure you that you can if you eat surplus calories. You have to count calories or measure your food in some way. Dr. John Berardi has a good method for measuring food based on eating 4 times a day and using your hands as a method of measurement. You can probabl find it on Precision Nutrition's site.

• Skillzorz
    Skillzorz Posts: 28 Member
    Options

[/quote]

Eating "clean" doesn't mean you can't gain weigth because I assure you that you can if you eat surplus calories. You have to count calories or measure your food in some way. Dr. John Berardi has a good method for measuring food based on eating 4 times a day and using your hands as a method of measurement. You can probabl find it on Precision Nutrition's site.

[/quote]

I'm going to look this up! Thanks!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    [
    sm1zzle wrote: »

But that's just it -- depending on the product.

You identified one that has ingredients you don't want (canned soup is terrible if you care about sodium and I personally am in favor of always making soup at home -- it's easy and tastier too).

But there are plenty of other packaged foods that, depending on the person, might be worth it. (Just as some people might disagree with you and me on the soup without being crazy and without making their weight loss more difficult).

For example, this morning I had Bob's Red Mill steel cut oats. It's packaged, so I guess it's full of sugar and sodium, right? Oh, but in fact it has none of either. Now, it's grains, so arguably basically is sugar (carbs, you know), but I think it's perfectly healthy and not at all problematic for someone trying to lose weight.

Another favorite of mine is Fage 0% yogurt, plain (note that I particularly like the 0%, which is extra processed). Now, I suppose I could make my own yogurt from raw milk or some such (I don't buy raw milk, for the record), but would it actually have less sodium or sugar (the sugar here being lactose)? I seriously doubt it.

Condemning "processed" foods vs. non is too broad.

Similarly, while I pretty much only eat homemade pie, is my homemade pie inherently better for weight loss than a piece I might get at a restaurant or the store? Probably not. In fact, one reason I haven't made pie since starting this (although I will for Thanksgiving) is that it will be hard to eat just one piece. That might be a sensible reason to prefer the packaged version, if you can buy just one. (Sadly, I'm unaware of any I would like as much.)

Same for ice cream vs. homemade. I love the idea of homemade, but are the reasons you have to watch portions really different depending on whether you buy or make it? I think not.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    You haven't said what it is you're trying to accomplish....
  • fedegarino
    fedegarino Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    This thread just changed my whole aproach to food.
    I was doing uncontrolled paleo (big *kitten* portions) and not loosing a single pound.
    I've started counting calories and doing a paleoish diet and im loosing pounds FAST... Thanks for this