Is there a way to lose bodyfat with just EXERCISE (including cardio, strength training etc) alone?

Options

Replies

• Uhfgood
    Uhfgood Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    Why so specifically body fat? Calories out > calories in = weight loss. Any form of training can help to achieve this.

Body specific fat burning exercises? Pretty much any muscle building exercise. So bicep curls will help to burn belly fat for example. Also long distance running. You will inevitably burn fat from doing this.

I tend to use losing weight/losing body fat interchangeably since really when you want to lose weight you really want to lose the fat. I guess I'm not concerned with losing muscle mass as I haven't got any to speak of (or not particularly even if I did I can't see it because of the fat :-) )
  • Uhfgood
    Options
    Several people are recommending the portion control route, so I might do that in conjunction with exercises that tend to burn more. I still hear running will burn a lot. Need to work up to that myself, but I'm still thinking of doing it.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Many people don't enjoy counting calories, which is why so many fad diets and diet programs exist. Some like weight watchers just substitute points, and you're still counting and logging. Others like Atkins and Paleo try to restrict foods that many people over eat and/or are calorie dense.

I find diets that restrict foods difficult to follow, but you could definitely try swapping out some of your "normal snacks" (sorry, I don't think you actually said what you typically eat) with veggies or maybe a serving of potatoes for a serving or two of veggies. Many of the diets I mentioned above give a freebie to veggies because (depending on how you prepare them) they are relatively low calorie for a high volume of food. Essentially you can fill up on fewer calories.

For some people, eating intuitively works. They try to only eat when hungry, etc, but for a lot of other people, we're on this site because following our hunger cues got us overweight. Since you did lose weight with fewer calories, you should have a good idea of what correct portions are and what 1700 calories in a day looks like. You could try emulating that and see what happens for a month. Then, reassess after you look at what your weight does.

But, I agree. I added in weight lifting and walking, and I started to be a lot more hungry. I get to eat more food because I've greatly increased my daily burn, but if I added in the exercise without calculating my new TDEE and limiting myself to my new calorie goal, I likely would have gained weight.

Also, when first adding in exercise, you can often gain weight, so take a few pound gain with a grain of salt. My doctor actually suggested I not workout when I first started to lose because seeing the scale go up (usually do to increases in cortisol and water retention due to muscle repair) can be so disheartening for people that they give up before really even starting.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    What worked for me was counting calories very accurately while I was losing weight. Once I got to my goal weight, I am able to just "ballpark" my estimates in my head. I am still counting, but only in my head. Counting calories for a few months really helps you learn portion sizes and calorie counts.
  • samammay
    samammay Posts: 468
    Options
    You cant outtrain a bad diet.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    there are 4 videos in this series. They are easy to find once you paste in this first link. They are a pretty good representation of why you can't outtrain a bad diet. I will also note that exercise is primarily good for: (a) losing water weight; (b) re-composing your body; and (c) improving your cardiovascular health. Exercise is not great for fat loss when you're not at a caloric deficit. Fat loss comes from caloric deficit and that's why the nutrition side of it is super important. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQbuzsY_34Q
  • samammay
    samammay Posts: 468
    Options
    Wait - so the 3 minutes it takes in a day to count calories is more effort than the 2-3 hours a day it will take to exercise off your bad diet?
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    Just spend every waking minute working out and you might burn more calories than you could possibly consume -- but remember you would have to run a marathon to burn 2900 calories which is equivalent to eating 674 M&M's -- so stop reading this and get moving!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Everyone keeps saying you can't out-train a bad diet as if it's automatically assumed the diet will be bad. One can out-train a good diet that has no calorie counting. If he is aware of how much he usually eats and makes effort not to eat more than he does he will eventually lose weight if he includes some good burns into his routine.

Calorie counting has been fantastic for me. I do not find logging annoying, but we have to accept that some people do. As long as he burns more than he consumes, it does not matter which method he uses to get there.
  • Uhfgood
    Options
    samammay wrote: »
    Wait - so the 3 minutes it takes in a day to count calories is more effort than the 2-3 hours a day it will take to exercise off your bad diet?

I'm in no way advocating a bad diet.

There are some forms of exercise I enjoy doing, or at least that don't seem like work.

To say it only take 3 minutes a day to count calories isn't the whole picture. For one thing you don't do it once, although I suppose if I could remember what I ate that day at the end, it would work. (Shouldn't be too hard, but sometimes you over look some snacks, as well as having to remember exactly the portions you ate, and specifically what you added, did I have half a tablespoon of mayo and a teaspoon of ketchup or was it just one full tablespoon of mayo.) For another thing you're going okay, so what do I have left to eat, 1200 calories, okay that's two 600 calorie meals (lunch and dinner), but wait I'm having that 800 calorie dinner, so that leaves 400 for lunch, okay, so lunch comes around but you forgot to add in that soda (no comments about cutting out soda), so now you can't eat that 800 calorie dinner, you have to make it a 600 calorie dinner again.

It's most likely I'm doing it all wrong, yeah say what you want about pre-planning and pre-making your meals but now you've turned a 3 minute chore into 30 minutes, and then you spent a whole half a day at the beginning of the week pre-cooking some of your meals.

So you may be condescending if you want, I'll continue to look for the exercises that burn more so I don't have to restrict myself to just all-you-can-eat brocolli and a 4 oz steak (4 ounces of steak, HAH!)
  • Uhfgood
    Options
    Everyone keeps saying you can't out-train a bad diet as if it's automatically assumed the diet will be bad. One can out-train a good diet that has no calorie counting. If he is aware of how much he usually eats and makes effort not to eat more than he does he will eventually lose weight if he includes some good burns into his routine.

Calorie counting has been fantastic for me. I do not find logging annoying, but we have to accept that some people do. As long as he burns more than he consumes, it does not matter which method he uses to get there.

Thank you for that :-)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Uhfgood wrote: »

Thank you for that :-)

You are welcome, but you have to understand that as you lose weight you body burns less and less both during exercise and rest. If you are going this route you will have to gradually decrease your food intake and/or increase your exercise every time your weight loss slows down to a crawl or halts.

• wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Using TDEE that was calculated once is also inaccurate. Since this number can vary if you did more or less, there could be an overshoot of how many calories that should be subtracted to lose the weight. Use the most conservative activity data to (no exercise that day) to calculate this number then subtracting off 300 or so and then you may see the 1 lb loss. Otherwise, you may be discouraged that you didn't lose the pound.

P.S. Are you also drinking enough water? If you are hungry, drink water first to see if it is thirst or true hunger and it doesn't even count towards calories so you can drink as much of that as you want! :D
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Uhfgood wrote: »
    I'm not considering eating non-stop junk food. How about those people that eat whatever they want never diet but never put on weight? There are people like this. The fact is a lot of them just move more. They've always been athletes, or worked out with weights since high school or whatever. In fact half of the success stories in fitness and bodybuilding are from people who were always fit in some way, and just let themselves go, but then they're able to get back in shape easier than I do.

It's metabolism and genetics.

You see professional atheletes at the highest level that move around plenty but tell us that they had to hire a chef and nutritionist to drop 20 pounds. Why? Because it's about nutrition. They can run around all day but if they neglect their diet, they're just negating all the hard work they do burning calories. We've all watched althetes gain weight during the season they are competing. It's because they aren't eating right. It's not just about junk food. It's just an excess of calories.

As a woman, I have quite a few girl friends that are stick thin but are fairly sedentary. You can take two people that live the exact same life, but one may be bigger than the other. The smaller one just is naturally smaller and it has nothing to do with him/her moving more than the bigger one.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    So first of all I think what you're really asking is whether or not it's possible to lose weight without tracking calories.

It certainly is for some people but it may not be possible without some other form of restriction somewhere, and/or without taking the time to develop habits around food that facilitate weight loss.

I do think that short term tracking is highly beneficial to help this process along as it can help you become aware of proper portion sizes.

I also think there are going to be preferential aspects of dieting that will differ from person to person so it can become difficult to recommend a framework that is going to apply to everyone. That being said, I've been experimenting with this both for myself and for a couple of clients. I've blogged about it here and you can feel free to take a look at it just in case you get anything of value from it. I don't claim this advice to be universally applicable to everyone -- this is just a general set of ideas that has been helpful for me and a few others, and I'm sure I'll add to or modify this as I get more experience doing this myself and coaching others:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/SideSteel/view/methods-without-logging-697613

• successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    At some point in the calorie counting you will KNOW what is a proper portion for you to make meals. And what is nothing but empty calories. My food may be a bit repetitive but I know I can have a fried egg sandwich and some fruit for breakfast, my premade chicken, green beans and brown rice for lunch, prepackaged 3.5 oz greek yogurts and more fruit for snacks, and if I'm careful with dinner I can even have a few beers.

I do make my frozen lunches in advance because of my long work schedules and proximately to too many fast food restaurants. Yes it may take a couple of hours, but at the end of it I have 22 frozen meals to take to work, at a cost of $2 each. Money and calorie saving.

When I want to splurge on my eating, I workout more. I don't know if you call it losing weight with exercise alone. It sounds like what you want is to know your maintenance level and then exercise to lose, whereas MFP is set up to automatically put your food level at a deficit so that you can lose without exercise.

I guess its what in works for you. I don't have a great deal of time/energy to workout hours on end, so I fit some workouts in with eating at a deficit.

But nothing will help you more than portion control, which is really what calorie counting is.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I've lost approx. 10 percent body fat in the last year while staying the same weight. Blah blah blah about whether the measurement system was 100% accurate...I don't care. My pants are a smaller size, my veins are popping, and my pictures look totally different. I have also gained a lot of muscle. I followed a program called Eat to Perform (google it). Basically I eat starchy carbs around my workouts and try to eat 1 gram of protein per lb of body mass per day.

I Crossfit 3-4x per week, powerlift 3-4x per week, take an olympic lifting class, do yoga 2x per week and run or hike 1x per week. So, I work out a lot. But, I eat at maintenance, which for me is about 2600-3000 calories per day. I tracked my macros for several months. Now I pretty much eat intuitively. I had been calorie counting for many years, so there are no surprises for me in terms of calorie counting. If I wait til end of day and then log to check, I am always very close to where I thought I was.

As an aside, during this time, my bench went up 60#, my squat went up 100 pounds, and my deadlift went up 115 pounds. I PR'd a trail race that I do every year as well and hit some new PR's on my Crossfit baseline test, 500 m row time, etc.

If you like to exercise a lot, this might work for you.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,608 Member
    Options
    timberowl wrote: »
    The only way I can think of that that MIGHT work would be with a combination of CLA and appetite suppressants, but MFP doesn't advocate supplements....
    CLA produces very minimal results at best and appetite suppressants don't teach anyone how to control eating habits. That's why they're not advocated here.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Uhfgood
    Options
    wkwebby wrote: »
    Using TDEE that was calculated once is also inaccurate. Since this number can vary if you did more or less, there could be an overshoot of how many calories that should be subtracted to lose the weight. Use the most conservative activity data to (no exercise that day) to calculate this number then subtracting off 300 or so and then you may see the 1 lb loss. Otherwise, you may be discouraged that you didn't lose the pound.

P.S. Are you also drinking enough water? If you are hungry, drink water first to see if it is thirst or true hunger and it doesn't even count towards calories so you can drink as much of that as you want! :D

The best guestimate is my tdee is about 2200 -- subtract 500 from that and you get 1700 kcal - but I'm going to try to increase my exercise, so hopefully this will go up.

Probably not drinking as much water as I should, but am drinking some every day in addition to anything else I drink.
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    A purposeful diet provides the opportunity to maximize fat loss. Not just the calorie counting dimension but the macronutrient percentages and sugar intake. I'm learning that hormonal levels (e.g. insulin, cortisol, etc.) play a big role in what your body is consuming. Through a couple of Resting and Active Metabolic Assessments, I found out that I was a pretty efficient fat burner during activity but at rest I was a 70/30 Carb/Fat burner. I also ate a ton of fruit - great for antioxidants etc. but was playing with blood sugar levels/insulin secretion. Not an issue in terms of diabetes but in terms of what I ended up burning. I also ate a lot of nuts - healthy fats but it drove my fat intake to 40+%. I'm only about 2 weeks into this new journey my <new> nutritionist put me on and I'm eating around the same number of calories (maybe a couple hundred less/day), but eating a 30/40/30 Carb/Protein/Fat diet, replaced my healthy fruit-based smoothies with green-based smoothies and limiting my daily sugars to 25g (effectively I've taken fruit out of my diet for now). Exercising about the same and I've dropped 6 pounds in these two weeks and lowered my BMI over 1%. Still very early into this new protocol but it's made me a believer that if you want to reduce body fat, leading with the right diet is the optimal way to get results.