Anyone heard of GoBe?

Options
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/healbe-gobe-the-only-way-to-automatically-measure-calorie-intake

What does everyone think? Many people seem to think it's impossible for this to work with ANY amount of accuracy. The creators apparently say that it's 88-92% accurate in determining calories consumed. That seems pretty accurate, considering there's no logging required. What do you think?

http://mobihealthnews.com/30914/healbe-the-latest-to-claim-a-passive-calorie-in-tracker-and-what-it-means-for-the-apple-iwatch/

According to that article, Apple has been hiring non-invasive glucose testing experts (I didn't even know there was such a thing as an expert on this).

I've ordered a GoBe, but I'm getting pretty nervous about all the criticism it's getting.

Would any of you trust a device to track your calories consumed and burned? Do you think I'm duped out of $200, or are you merely skeptical?

Replies

• EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/healbe-gobe-the-only-way-to-automatically-measure-calorie-intake

What does everyone think? Many people seem to think it's impossible for this to work with ANY amount of accuracy. The creators apparently say that it's 88-92% accurate in determining calories consumed. That seems pretty accurate, considering there's no logging required. What do you think?

http://mobihealthnews.com/30914/healbe-the-latest-to-claim-a-passive-calorie-in-tracker-and-what-it-means-for-the-apple-iwatch/

According to that article, Apple has been hiring non-invasive glucose testing experts (I didn't even know there was such a thing as an expert on this).

I've ordered a GoBe, but I'm getting pretty nervous about all the criticism it's getting.

Would any of you trust a device to track your calories consumed and burned? Do you think I'm duped out of $200, or are you merely skeptical?

1. It doesn't track macros to the best of my knowledge. That can be more or less important depending on the individual.
    2. I assume if someone has a medical condition that has impact on their blood sugar, its readings would be inaccurate.
    3. It's about the same error range I'd give myself when I'm weighing and logging food accurately.

All that said, I do like fitness gadgetry and would probably spend some disposable income on it.
  • timberowl
    timberowl Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    It admits it's less accurate with a low-carb, high-protein diet. For whatever reason. But that for the "average" person it should be pretty accurate, since most people consume a pretty high ratio of carbs. I believe that it can only really "see" your carbs through your skin. I don't have much of an aptitude for science. Thus my anxiety over this.

Oh, it also explicitly and repeatedly says it is NOT for medical use whatsoever. It doesn't have the accuracy necessary. And I do believe it mentions something about medical conditions making it less accurate.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I've been eyeing this for a few months, but I'm wary... My first thought is, "TAKE MY MONEY!!!" but my husband pointed out that buying first-generation electronics isn't always the best thing to do. The thing I'm most curious about with it is that it says it can track calories burned for weight lifting...
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    My concern over macros had less to do with accuracy and more to do with the fact that I like to make sure I get enough protein and fat in a day. Carbs are only incidentally important for gym performance, and they happen to be tasty (for me). So, I'd still have to track food to make sure I'm getting the right balance of macros even if its readings were accurate.
  • timberowl
    Options
    The thing I'm most curious about with it is that it says it can track calories burned for weight lifting...

Well, so does my Body Media band, I've been wearing for about a year and a half. I consider it to be extremely accurate (though it's hard for me to "prove" it's accuracy with calories burned). It doesn't track heart rate, but it tracks body temperature and motion. Regardless of your activity, if your temperature is going up, it will take note and accurately track your calories burned.
  • lsorci919
    lsorci919 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I saw this a few months ago. I have my doubts. It seems like a great device if it actually works but I would not want to spend the money till it has been lunched and there are actual personal reviews of the product. I question the accuracy of it.
  • timberowl
    Options
    I promise to let y'all know how it's working for me, assuming that it actually ships in June like it says it will!
  • timberowl
    Options
    Update: it didn't ship in June; it ended up being delayed 'til November.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    2011 Thread
  • timberowl
    Options
    No it's actually from April 11th of this year. Thanks for trying to help though. :)
  • fedup30
    fedup30 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Will it have a monthly fee like the Body Media??
  • timberowl
    Options
    I honestly don't know, but I don't think so.
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    If it works it sounds amazing but I wouldn't splash out on one until it's been on the market for a while and any teething problems are sorted out.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I heard of it a few months ago. The idea is quite appealing, but not for weight loss.. more for weight maintenance. I mean it registers the calories 1-5 hours after consumption (depending on the makeup of the foods), so you may overeat and not know it. For maintenance, having a general idea of how you did the day before is enough. Not for weight loss though.

What I'm more interested in is this one: http://www.technewsworld.com/story/80703.html
  • releasingitforgood
    releasingitforgood Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am an Indigogo supporter (paid for it back in March 2014) of the GoBe and am still waiting for its arrival. I hope it will be a tracker that can also sync with MFP. If it doesn't do what it claims and/or I'm unhappy with it, I'll go back to Fitbit or try Jawbone.
  • altagirl
    altagirl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I participated in the Indiegogo campaign for the Healbe GoBe, and finally received mine this week. I've noticed that it seems to track activity and heartrate accurately. The sleep tracking also seems to be accurate to my perception of quality sleep. However, in comparing with my entries using Myfitnesspal over the past week, the Gobe has consistently over-estimated my calories by more than double. For example, today I have eaten a medium banana, coffee with Light Silk Soymilk, Zone Perfect Peanut Butter bar, Select Multi-Grain Sandwich Thins and 1 serving of turkey breast meat: MFP = 509 calories vs. Gobe=1228 calories. I hadn't had anything to eat since 10 pm last night, so I don't know how it could be so far off. Also, it is very bulky and the battery barely lasts 24 hours in my experience. I'm going to keep using it for another week to see if it somehow calibrates better to my body, but I'm pretty disappointed so far.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    altagirl wrote: »
    For example, today I have eaten a medium banana, coffee with Light Silk Soymilk, Zone Perfect Peanut Butter bar, Select Multi-Grain Sandwich Thins and 1 serving of turkey breast meat: MFP = 509 calories vs. Gobe=1228 calories.

If this is how you're measuring these things, the Gobe may well be closer to the actual than you think.
  • wible404
    wible404 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Mine says I've only eatin 56 cals today.... Hmmmmm
  • Venus_Red
    Venus_Red Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Engadget reviewed it and the calorie function was the first con mentioned. The tech is just not there yet.