Questions about Atkins Diet /Other Diets (How Do I Explain?)

Okay, so I think we all know people who have gone on these types of diet plans and a lot of us have too. The thing you always hear is that diets don't work and that you will gain the weight back. I know someone from work who has become a friend of mine and she wants to do Atkins as a jump start because obviously you can lose a lot of weight on it really fast. I told her that you will probably gain the weight back after you lose it with that type of diet because that's what everyone says. Now, here is where she surprised me, she said she would do the Atkins but then go back to dieting as normal (i.e. just simple low calorie and exercising) and would keep the weight off that way. And I didn't really know what to say back because I don't really understand how it all works. She seems to think she will be able to keep the weight off that way. Will it actually work? If not, why? I was under the impression that the Atkins diet had something to do with low carbs, not calories??? Will the weight come back when she eats normal carbs even though she will be eating low calorie?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Most people regain weight after losing it, regardless of method. If she lost 25 lbs with Atkins then she might bounce back up to 5 lbs if eating a lot of carbs but could continue to calorie restrict from then on.

The plan on the Atkins web site has 4 phases to transition from induction through to maintenance.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    I guess it depends how long she plans of following Atkins for. If it's just a week or two on the induction phase (as is implied by the phrase 'jump start'), then most of the weight loss will be water weight from glycogen depletion, most of which will probably be regained once carbs are re-introduced.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited October 2014
    Does the Atkins diet really have a higher fail rate than any other diet? The sad fact is that the majority of us that lose weight will regain it, no matter what method we use. Not all, but most.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    You don't have to maintain the same way you lose or even continue to lose the same way you started. But, a lot of people like to find something that they can stick with long term so that they can build habits that they can continue through to maintenance. But, as previously stated, most people gain the weight back no matter how they choose to lose.

Long term maintenence requires eating as many calories as you burn; as simple as that. But, I think the problem is that some people hit goal, and they say, woohoo, I'm done! But, from those that have been successful for years, it seems the common denominator is they hit goal, and they either make new goals (building muscle or strength gains or running father or whatever), or they continue to see it as work (I guess, still a goal, but hitting a daily calorie goal). They don't just stop tracking and stop exercising. They continue what they were doing, just at higher calories.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    If losing weight is a really long very term "project" I can understand breaking it into pieces.

Your friend will eat one way.....lose some weight....then transition into a different format she believes that will be closer to a permanent lifestyle change. At least she is acknowledging that "I can't go off Atkins and resume normal eating habits" & keep the weight off.

Atkins is low carb....which does lower calories for most. When you cut out a most of a macro, you have to make changes. The macros are protein, fat, and carbs. So unless you pick up quite a bit more fat & protein....you lower calories.

I don't view weight loss as a project at all (been down that road). Now it's all lifestyle. I don't eat low carb (Atkins) because I will continue to eat carbs in the future. I need "practice" managing the foods I eat. I need to weigh & measure. We all pick our own strategies.
  • RabbitLost
    RabbitLost Posts: 333 Member
    TeaBea wrote: »
    If losing weight is a really long very term "project" I can understand breaking it into pieces.

Your friend will eat one way.....lose some weight....then transition into a different format she believes that will be closer to a permanent lifestyle change. At least she is acknowledging that "I can't go off Atkins and resume normal eating habits" & keep the weight off.

Atkins is low carb....which does lower calories for most. When you cut out a most of a macro, you have to make changes. The macros are protein, fat, and carbs. So unless you pick up quite a bit more fat & protein....you lower calories.

I don't view weight loss as a project at all (been down that road). Now it's all lifestyle. I don't eat low carb (Atkins) because I will continue to eat carbs in the future. I need "practice" managing the foods I eat. I need to weigh & measure. We all pick our own strategies.

+1 for lifestyle change.

(Can we still do this in the new "improved" forums?)
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 7,009 Member
    Okay, so I think we all know people who have gone on these types of diet plans and a lot of us have too. The thing you always hear is that diets don't work and that you will gain the weight back. I know someone from work who has become a friend of mine and she wants to do Atkins as a jump start because obviously you can lose a lot of weight on it really fast. I told her that you will probably gain the weight back after you lose it with that type of diet because that's what everyone says. Now, here is where she surprised me, she said she would do the Atkins but then go back to dieting as normal (i.e. just simple low calorie and exercising) and would keep the weight off that way. And I didn't really know what to say back because I don't really understand how it all works. She seems to think she will be able to keep the weight off that way. Will it actually work? If not, why? I was under the impression that the Atkins diet had something to do with low carbs, not calories??? Will the weight come back when she eats normal carbs even though she will be eating low calorie?

Atkins works because restricting carbs also naturally restricts calories because it is restricting portions and encouraging them to eat low-carb veggies and fruits, which tend to be lower in calories as well. There are four phases, each adding back certain carbs up until the person starts to regain. Then they back off under that carb level to maintain. When she goes back on a regular calorie reduction diet, she will temporarily regain a little water weight and then continue to lose weight in a calorie deficit with the carbs.

It is the calorie deficit that causes weight loss. Atkins is just a tool or vehicle to make that happen. Many people report a decrease in cravings once they've been on Atkins through induction and that helps some stay on track.
  • erikarobles
    erikarobles Posts: 205 Member
    I did the induction phase of Atkins and lost then switched over to Whole30. I am still losing even though I eat lots of carbs in the form of fruits and vegetables. I was a little apprehensive but so far so good!!!! Good luck to you :) Just remember that everyone is different so what other people are doing may not work for you.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Low carb causes extra water loss, so if you switch back you'd regain some water weight and probably feel like you were gaining, but I don't see why it couldn't work fine to transition.

But I think low carb works well for some people anyway, and as others have said all diets have a dreadful success rate.