Replies

• deejayoh77
    deejayoh77 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    deejayoh77 wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I think people are mistaking me and I don't really appreciate the snarky tone of some of the comments, when we're all supposed to be here to help.

I do log. Every day. On average I'm getting about 1160-1220 calories per day which is about 250-300 under what the MFP goals say I should have daily. When I mentioned the BMR calculator, it was because that says I should be eating Much More than even the MFP goals state.

I don't eat junk, since I started doing this. I eat chicken and fish (portion controlled and weighed), oatmeal, fruit, avocado, salads with no dressing, etc. That's why I'm frustrated and what led me to put my anxieties aside and post to ask for help from someone(s) who may have gone through this too.

Also, not everyone has a doctor, unfortunately. I happen to live in a state where even with the healthcare reform, it's not as doable and affordable to people who don't have a lot of money. I check my blood sugars and bp at home, weigh myself at home.

And for those wondering, my son's weight and diet are fine, as thankfully he is fond of fruits as part of his 7, and HE has health care.
    What do you want to hear?

Uh, the BK crack was what I was speaking to. Why are people hostile when someone is asking for help??
    Dee Jay,

People are not being hostile, they are being honest. I'm sorry if it's not what you want to hear.

If you are not losing weight, then you are not in a calorie deficit OR you have some medical issues that needs attention. I say this because (1) if you were truly eating 1150-1200 calories a day you would be losing weight and (2) if you are truly eating that low of calories and not losing weight there is something wrong that needs attention.

It's one or the other, and the most common cause of not losing weight is due to miscalculation of calories. I've been there, countless other people have been there, shoot overweight people in our families who say "I don't eat that much" have been there. It's very common.

Do you have clinics in your area? They usually charge on a sliding scale.

Do you have a food scale at home? Do you weigh all your solids and measure your liquids? Do you log everything you put in your mouth?

Again, my "hostile" comment was about the Burger King comment. If you all don't see that as unnecessary then clearly I'm in the wrong place.
  • meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I average 9-10 glasses of water a day. I don't ever go over my total goals (in fact I'm under, because I just can't eat this much). I'm concerned because my BMR has a total number that's 500 calories higher than MFP goals state for me on a day to day basis.

if you've got your goals set to lose 1lb per week, then yes MFP is going to give you a 500 calorie per day deficit. many of the calculators for BMR vary based on the math used... some are based on age and weight, some take bodyfat percentages into account.

you're going to get this question repeatedly, but are you logging your food? and by logging, i mean weighing all solids, measuring all liquids, tracking everything you eat based on the nutritional info either provided on the package or using the verified versions on the database. it makes a difference, and for a lot of people this is the #1 problem they found. if you don't already have one, get yourself a basic digital kitchen scale (amazon.com, $15-ish will get you one that will weigh in ounces and grams). i keep mine next to my knife block and keep a separate grocery-list pad of paper and pen attached to the fridge so that i can weigh and write down everything i'm using when i cook.

you said you can't do home workouts... can you take your son out for a walk each day? can you listen to some faster-beat music while you're cleaning and dance while you clean? anything that gets you moving a bit more than usual could help.
  • duckydoom
    duckydoom Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Food wise - I was able to satisfy my husband and my brother's cravings for chicken nuggets with Gardein Chick'n Tenders. They sell them at Walmart, Winco, and lots of other places, so even though they're vegan and a "specialty food," I think you can find them. They're surprisingly delicious. We just bake 'em with some stove baked fries and have them with bbq and ketchup. My bro has Down Syndrome, and also a very picky palette. I usually have to bribe him with a diet soda to eat a salad with dinner, or try things like fruit, anything green, etc lol. I don't know if that would work with your son, I'm sure you've tried!

I agree with some of the statements above, definitely log your food. I am used to making 2 meals most of the time, though when I give in and eat the same meal as my husband (even in more appropriate portions), I dont lose any weight. I also have a gallon jug of water that I fill daily, and just pour it out into a glass or my Klean Kanteen That way I can make sure I get my full gallon daily, and can just keep reusing the jug without worrying about putting germs into it lol. I replace the jug every couple of weeks.

Are you able to do any sort of activities? Does your son like walking in nature/a park, anything like that? Or if you have certain activities you can have him do while homeschooling, maybe you can get in a few exercises then? Ie a sensory activity for him, and while he does that you can get in situps, pushups, lunges, wall sits, planks, or anything like that?

Best of luck to you, I know it can be hard. If you need to talk, feel free to PM me :smile:
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    I think people are mistaking me and I don't really appreciate the snarky tone of some of the comments, when we're all supposed to be here to help.

I do log. Every day. On average I'm getting about 1160-1220 calories per day which is about 250-300 under what the MFP goals say I should have daily. When I mentioned the BMR calculator, it was because that says I should be eating Much More than even the MFP goals state.

I don't eat junk, since I started doing this. I eat chicken and fish (portion controlled and weighed), oatmeal, fruit, avocado, salads with no dressing, etc. That's why I'm frustrated and what led me to put my anxieties aside and post to ask for help from someone(s) who may have gone through this too.

Also, not everyone has a doctor, unfortunately. I happen to live in a state where even with the healthcare reform, it's not as doable and affordable to people who don't have a lot of money. I check my blood sugars and bp at home, weigh myself at home.

And for those wondering, my son's weight and diet are fine, as thankfully he is fond of fruits as part of his 7, and HE has health care.

Yet loads of people go down the 'I am doing everything correctly' road and are just in denial.....
  • W8G0
    W8G0 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    One thing you haven't mentioned is how long you've been sticking to the calorie count. A lot of people get frustrated when the weight loss doesn't start right away, or when it comes and goes. As long as you (a) are accurately measuring the calories you consume, (b) are eating the amount that MFP suggests, and (c) don't have any health issues / drugs mucking around with your metabolism, the weight will come off. Just give it time.

Good luck!
  • kimekakes28
    kimekakes28 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    If you can't get out the house, May I suggest mini exercise routines while your son is sleeping/napping. You can do 15 minutes of jogging in place, squats, push ups, and mountain climbers. In between commercial breaks, do some jumping jacks or jogging in place. That will help burn calories. In the course of a day you might get in 30 minutes of exercise without even know it. May God bless you and your son.
  • Maryam2014mfp
    Options
    Please send me a friend request. I'm accessing the forums using safari on my iPhone and when I click to go to anyone's profile it just opens the MFP iPhone app and takes me to my home page, so I can't go to your page or send you a message (unless you are a friend). I have been in your shoes. My son has autism but he is almost 19 now (in four months). I know it is not easy. I also have a lot of health issues; but I've learned ways to deal with them and since being here in late August I have been successfully losing weight. I know you can and will lose weight too. Don't give up :). Hope you send a request :). Take care :)
  • deejayoh77
    Options
    W8G0 wrote: »
    One thing you haven't mentioned is how long you've been sticking to the calorie count. A lot of people get frustrated when the weight loss doesn't start right away, or when it comes and goes. As long as you (a) are accurately measuring the calories you consume, (b) are eating the amount that MFP suggests, and (c) don't have any health issues / drugs mucking around with your metabolism, the weight will come off. Just give it time.

Good luck!

2 weeks. Which I know sounds like I have no right to be frustrated, but I think I'd been spoiled by a previous attempt at losing and how I had faster results, which is another thing I was curious about and what made me post--to ask if this is just something I need patience with. No drugs! I was tempted but realized I needed to do this on my own.

• deejayoh77
    Options
    W8G0 wrote: »

Good luck!

And thank you for the luck and kind response!

• deejayoh77
    Options
    Please send me a friend request. I'm accessing the forums using safari on my iPhone and when I click to go to anyone's profile it just opens the MFP iPhone app and takes me to my home page, so I can't go to your page or send you a message (unless you are a friend). I have been in your shoes. My son has autism but he is almost 19 now (in four months). I know it is not easy. I also have a lot of health issues; but I've learned ways to deal with them and since being here in late August I have been successfully losing weight. I know you can and will lose weight too. Don't give up :). Hope you send a request :). Take care :)

Sent you a message. Thanks!
  • deejayoh77
    Options
    If you can't get out the house, May I suggest mini exercise routines while your son is sleeping/napping. You can do 15 minutes of jogging in place, squats, push ups, and mountain climbers. In between commercial breaks, do some jumping jacks or jogging in place. That will help burn calories. In the course of a day you might get in 30 minutes of exercise without even know it. May God bless you and your son.

I'm going to take this and the dancing while cleaning suggestions and put them in motion. Instead of using the downstairs bathroom I walk the stairs to use the upstairs, and will take breaks between school and work to get some little workout breaks in, even if simple. Thank you for the kind words!
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    First off let me say, It is certainly not easy being a stay at home mother. Add to that the fact that you homeschool and he has Autism, and sheesh! very stressful! I am pretty sure I would not have the emotional energy for this. Aside from all of that, just stop for a minute and think about what the previous posters have said. I know it can sound harsh but, if you can swallow your pride, it probably is somewhat true. You say you are 37, sedentary and have health problems. You need to get this in check so you can be around for your son. If you do not have healh insurance, you should look into it. You may be elligible for subsidies or some type of assistance. You should have a doctor. That being said, continue to weigh and measure everything, be patient. Since you say you are eating so little calories, be smart about those calories. Make them count. Someone wrote about walking with your son in the part or some other activities. That is great advice. If you would like advice on your diary, send me a friend request. If you dont want to have it open for your friends, you could use a "key" for certain people. No judgements will be made unless you count suggestions as a judgement. I really hope you have a helpful husband!!
  • deejayoh77
    Options
    First off let me say, It is certainly not easy being a stay at home mother. Add to that the fact that you homeschool and he has Autism, and sheesh! very stressful! I am pretty sure I would not have the emotional energy for this. Aside from all of that, just stop for a minute and think about what the previous posters have said. I know it can sound harsh but, if you can swallow your pride, it probably is somewhat true. You say you are 37, sedentary and have health problems. You need to get this in check so you can be around for your son. If you do not have healh insurance, you should look into it. You may be elligible for subsidies or some type of assistance. You should have a doctor. That being said, continue to weigh and measure everything, be patient. Since you say you are eating so little calories, be smart about those calories. Make them count. Someone wrote about walking with your son in the part or some other activities. That is great advice. If you would like advice on your diary, send me a friend request. If you dont want to have it open for your friends, you could use a "key" for certain people. No judgements will be made unless you count suggestions as a judgement. I really hope you have a helpful husband!!

Thank you for the kindness and gentle words. It is stressful but rewarding--the stressful part is the addition of working from home. I consider myself lucky that I can do that so I try not to complain about it. I have looked into the healthcare options and my state is limited due to the governor not enabling many of the subsidies. I thought I could at least get this in check as much as I could for the exact reason you said, I want to be around for him. And no, I don't have a helpful husband haha, we are separated and he's not present. I will send you a private message in a moment.
  • jamieben1824
    jamieben1824 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I won't be snotty, because I may be able to relate. What is your age? I think that for me anyway, I have noticed a drop in my energy levels especially since I started counting and logging so religiously. Which can also be damaging. I am at 1200 per day net and I am definitely NOT losing. I have gained in fact, not a lot but enough to bother me. So in racking my brain, I am thinking I need to evaluate what I eat as much as how many calories/macros etc. For instance what Is your overall sugar and salt intake, maybe try really concentrating on more vegetables and low sugar fruits. I workout 5-6 days a week but have a sedetary job. its a tough balance. Good luck :)
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Here's a helpful article (I'm honestly not being snarky):
    http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/

The first ten focus on calories. That's because weight loss happens in a calorie deficit, even with medical issues. Now a medical issue (number 11) may make it difficult or even unhealthy to create a deficit, but those are pretty rare. But you need to track your calories accurately for a while before jumping to that conclusion.

Basically, if you're not losing, check your calories. 90% of the time people aren't losing because they're not logging accurately (meaning consistently and using a food scale). 9% is because they have the wrong calorie goal. 1% have legit medical issues that need to be resolved. The only way to know if you need medical help is to get the first 10 on that list right first.

I'm sorry if this isn't what you want to hear. The truth can often be difficult to face, but that doesn't make it any less true.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Here's a helpful article (I'm honestly not being snarky):
    http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/

The first ten focus on calories. That's because weight loss happens in a calorie deficit, even with medical issues. Now a medical issue (number 11) may make it difficult or even unhealthy to create a deficit, but those are pretty rare. But you need to track your calories accurately for a while before jumping to that conclusion.

Basically, if you're not losing, check your calories. 90% of the time people aren't losing because they're not logging accurately (meaning consistently and using a food scale). 9% is because they have the wrong calorie goal. 1% have legit medical issues that need to be resolved. The only way to know if you need medical help is to get the first 10 on that list right first.

I'm sorry if this isn't what you want to hear. The truth can often be difficult to face, but that doesn't make it any less true.

This was very funny.(and very true!)I love #2!
  • arkowalyshyn
    arkowalyshyn Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have 2 asd kids, a baby, and fibro (chronic pain/fatigue condition) I also have another 30 lbs to lose! Bring your son for a short brisk walk break around lunchtime, it might even help him focus on his schoolwork anyway. Do a dozen squats every time you use the restroom. Look at portion size and liquid calories. Don't give up, and add me if you want. Xoxo