Fitness Trackers

Options
kelerin
kelerin Posts: 17 Member
Hello! I am looking in to purchasing a fitness tracker. Thoughts on the most effective? I'm a runner, so want to consider my runs in to my day.

Thanks!

Replies

• debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I would suggest looking into the Polar line of products. They have a bunch of trackers that pair with HRM to provide you with a bunch of information about pace, distance, heart rate, calories burned, and much more. I like the Polar Beat app with my HR7 by Polar for exercising and my Polar Loop for daily activity tracking.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit One and have been very happy with it. You can sync it with this site and it'll automatically adjust your calorie requirements for you.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit to track my steps throughout the day, but if you are a runner I would suggest getting a tracker that includes or pairs with a HRM. A lot of the trackers (like my Fitbit) only track steps and "active minutes" which works great for me, I just log my workouts separately.
  • Fit_Happens_2021
    Fit_Happens_2021 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Force for tracking calories, steps, distance and it also monitors sleep and how many times I wake, how restless etc. I also recently purchased a hrm - Polar FT7 because the Fitbit Force doesn't monitor heart rate. I really like both of them. There are a really wide range of Polar products.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit zip - it works well for walking and running.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin VivoFit with the HRM strap (optional). I got it because I do water aerobics and water zumba and it is the only one I could find reasonably priced ($129) that was water resistant. I wear it 24/7. It also gives me a fitness goal every day based on past performance and if I haven't moved enough in an hour, a redline starts across the face to remind me to get moving. Walking about 200 steps or doing a few yoga poses turns it off. I also have a FitBit and a BodyMedia. I like the VivoFit a lot better.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    I have used Fitbit, which is decent, and Polar, which I returned since the software is horrible, but if you are looking for a running platform then you should think about a more comprehensive tool like Nike or Garmin with a GPS tracker that allows you to get your millage and pace information as you run and can be paired with a HRM.

If you want to track you life steps then you can get a Fitbit on top of the running platform since GPS watches don't work indoors and aren't particularly suited for those. You can also integrate many of them with Map My Fitness/Map My Run and MFP for a more comprehensive package.
  • MamaMollyT
    MamaMollyT Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Garmin Forerunner 110 is great for running and heart rate tracking.
  • kellypence
    kellypence Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Garmin Forerunner 15 combines a running watch with an activity tracker. So you get the Move! reminder if you've been sedentary too long, the step tracker, calorie estimator etc, with a good basic GPS running watch.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Any Garmin watch, or for free, a phone app such as Runkeeper.
  • Marie047
    Marie047 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit one for walking, polar FT4 for cals burned during exercise and for running/cycling I also track distance with Endomondo tracker.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Marie047 wrote: »
    I have a fitbit one for walking, polar FT4 for cals burned during exercise and for running/cycling I also track distance with Endomondo tracker.

Same here. I wear my One all day, but for workouts I will also wear my FT4 and manually log the calories burned on MFP, which I have set to sync with Fitbit.
  • 424a57
    424a57 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm interested, too. I have used a Withings Pulse, and currently use Accupedo. Both track steps & total calories, and sync with MFP so they both make adjustments to my allowed calories. But...

These devices (or apps) don't handle other cardio exercises (swimming, cycling, etc) well, and MFP assumes they are the end-all, know-all when it comes to total calories. The end result is that if I spend an hour cycling and burn 600 calories, MFP completely ignores these calories.

Is there a step-based activity tracker that also allows you to enter other exercises before it syncs with MFP?
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I use fit bit force to track my steps. I use Runtastic on my phone to log my running. Also have a runtastic heart rate monitor but stopped using it. Both work well and I can get progress updates via my bluetooth headphones. I will probably start using the HRM again when I start training for a full marathon.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    kelerin wrote: »
    Hello! I am looking in to purchasing a fitness tracker. Thoughts on the most effective? I'm a runner, so want to consider my runs in to my day.

Can I just clarify the question, rather than making an assumption about what you're after.

Do you want something that'll track your all day activity, glorified pedometer like a fitbit, or do you want something to track your running and account for it?

If the latter, then it really depends on how much running you do; phone based, or dedicated running GPS.

If the former, then personally I don't see much point in them for an already active person, but I'd be inclined to suggest the Vivofit with HRM strap, or the FR15, as desribed above.

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I have the Fitbit One - but my husband just got the Polar Loop a few weeks ago. I'd probably go with that one if I were just shopping now. Works with a Polar HRM for more accurate burn info during cardio. Water proof. And Polar is a solid product usually. It tracks steps, miles but also allows him to set an activity goal. And throughout the day it will tell him what to do to hit the mark. Like walk for x minutes or run for y minutes.

The ONLY downside? Polar Loop does not sync w/ MFP. But we figured a way around that for Hubby.

1. Know what MFP expects you to burn. Such as if your MFP goal is to eat 1500/day and that is based on losing 1 pound a week, then MFP expects you to burn 2000. Anything over that will need an adjustment.

2. Know your BMR per hour. If your BMR per day is 1600 then 1600/24 means your BMR is roughly 67.

3. When you're 'done' for the day, see what Polar Loop shows for your calorie burn. If its 1900 and there are 2 hours left in the day, you know you'll end at 1900 + 2 x 67 or about 2034.

4. Enter cardio, for 1 minute, call it Polar Adjustment for 34 calories. Which is 2034 actual - 2000 expected.

Thanks!

• erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    Options

Can I just clarify the question, rather than making an assumption about what you're after.

Do you want something that'll track your all day activity, glorified pedometer like a fitbit, or do you want something to track your running and account for it?

If the latter, then it really depends on how much running you do; phone based, or dedicated running GPS.

If the former, then personally I don't see much point in them for an already active person, but I'd be inclined to suggest the Vivofit with HRM strap, or the FR15, as desribed above.

This was my question, what are you looking to track? I use endomondo (free) to track my running, walking, riding, etc. It provides pace, splits, elevation information, mapping, and more.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Activity trackers (depending upon model) can track steps, sleep, and stairs. Because running is a step based activity.....the calorie estimate won't be too bad.

Check out the FitBit group to see specific topics.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users

Heart rate monitors are designed to calculate steady state cardio calories. Because there is a heart rate component the calorie burn estimate should be more accurate.

The Polar FT (and Polar Loop) would be two separate purchases, but they link together.

It comes down to how much you want to spend. There is no one thing that combines both (yet).
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    It comes down to how much you want to spend. There is no one thing that combines both (yet).

That would be the Garmin Forerunner 15, and the available for pre-order Garmin FR920XT.

The latter is horribly expensive unless one is a serious multisport athlete.

• KrzyGal
    KrzyGal Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit flex and love it! I got a cheaper one and returned it 2 days later; the software didn't work right at all. Fitbit syncs with my phone and on the website. It's helping me narrow down sleep issues as well.