1200 cals/day = Guilt.

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Just plan for it. I like to think of my calorie goal as a weekly thing anyway. Exercise a bit more or eat a bit less the rest of the week (before and after, but don't cut so that it's all that noticeable on the other days) and use the calories to splurge some for the special occasion. I wouldn't eat the wings and fries (or beer) just because it's what everyone else is doing, but if you will enjoy it, I think it's perfectly possible to work into your week.

And like others have said, you also could just go over some but stay at maintenance or below. It's not like it's going to become a daily or even weekly occurrence.

However, this is one plus for being a Cubs fan, I guess.
  • Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Two words. Yuengling Light. 99 Calories per serving. That and baked or grilled chicken breast instead of fried wings. Get the wing sauce on the side. Baked potato with only a little shredded cheese, or just butter and salt & pepper. You'd be surprised at how good those alternatives can be, and if you are even just a little mindful of the portions, you can have it all for under 500 calories.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Guilt is not a healthy emotional reaction to eating more than 1200 calories for one freaking day.
  • waluouija
    waluouija Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Idk if this was already suggested, but you could always just eat half of your portion and get the rest in a to-go box.
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Just eat the wings and drink the beer if you want to. Or don't. Ultimately, you choose. If you're going to beat yourself up over it and it's going to make you miserable to ponder about, then just don't go and forget it. Life is not worth worrying over every little thing. LIVE LIFE. Sure, you want to lose weight and watch what you're eating, fine. But don't deprive yourself of what you want and don't let one day throw you through a loop.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Find out if they offer baked wings. Many wing places do. Lower cal! Probably about 50-70 per wing depending on the size.
  • suzi_quzi
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement and advice everyone. I wrote the post late at night and had a moment of "gah, I am going to eat wings and beer and I have to look awesome in a wedding dress (SEVEN MONTHS from now)." You're right - one day won't hurt, I'll just do a little more cardio during the week and everything is going to be fine. I was just overthinking and putting too much pressure on myself. GO ROYALS! :)
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    You need to get over feeling guilty about having more than 1200 cals in a day. Guilt is for people who do really bad things like stealing things or hurting others. Who are you hurting if you have wings and a beer? Don't say yourself, because you're not hurting yourself having them once in a while. It's not like you're going over your calories on a regular basis. As people have already said, 1200 cals/day is probably too little for you anyway so one day over that really isn't going to make you fat. Probably you should recalculate your calories and see if you can still lose weight eating more than 1200 cals/day (most people can) and find out what your maintenance calories are and then have days when you eat at maintenance, and this should give you enough calories to have a beer and wings with the game.
  • suzi_quzi
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Two words. Yuengling Light. 99 Calories per serving. That and baked or grilled chicken breast instead of fried wings. Get the wing sauce on the side. Baked potato with only a little shredded cheese, or just butter and salt & pepper. You'd be surprised at how good those alternatives can be, and if you are even just a little mindful of the portions, you can have it all for under 500 calories.

Do we wash that substitute meal down with tears?

This made me giggle.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You "can't" watch your guy eat a plate of wings while you have a salad? Really can't? Or just won't? If you want to splurge, then splurge. (1200 is too low for you, anyway) But keep it real and own your decision, whether it's to eat the wings and "feel guilty", or have a salad and stay within your goals.

This but I totally get it too. Have a salad and a couple wings. Or just eat less the rest of the week to make room.
  • celtic_thistle
    celtic_thistle Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thinking like this is what destroys people's weight loss efforts. One day of going over your calorie limit by a couple hundred is NOT going to turn you obese overnight. You didn't put on the weight thanks to one meal; one meal is not going to ruin you. A deficit of 300 calories didn't move the scale down, so why would it move it up? Cheat days/meals are really helpful for a lot of people so they don't binge and fall off the wagon. Go to the bar. Eat the wings. Have a beer. Don't beat yourself up. Don't use it as an excuse to call the whole week a wash, because that's how people slide back into the habits that made them fat to start with.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

one word: why?

I mean come on people if you can't go out from time and time and enjoy some buffalo wings and beer, what the hell is the point of living? Are we just going to burry ourselves in our homes and eat baked chicken and veggies for the rest of our lives..??????????
  • 808Trish808
    808Trish808 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Hey-- guilt has no place in a weight loss program. Eat what you want to at the bar. Obviously, you know not to have 12 plates of food and a case of beer. You may even surprise yourself and not finish your meal. The mere fact that you are giving yourself permission to have the stuff goes a long way. When the pressure's off, the temptation is not so great. Let the game be a distraction-- cheer a lot for your team! So your weight loss will take a few days longer. So what? You'll be fine. You still have to live! Occasions like this may be few and far between (I'm a Met fan; I understand), so enjoy the food and your friends.

Last night I ordered a big meal at a restaurant and a few months ago before MFP I knew I could polish that off so easily. I tried my hardest to finish it but no matter what, I barely ate half. I guess that's a good thing!
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    I had a 1200 calorie starbucks today. Getting ready for a double training session.

Omg... what kind of delicious Starbucks did you get?! :drinker:

a large frappaderpydoo, with two extra shots, hazelnut, chocolate, caramel, cookie crumble thingies, and the whipped cream blended in. I had a ton of free drinks banked, so might as well use one. Today's a double gym session day since it's a work holiday.

Oh what delicious yumminess!! Gotta take advantage of those free drinks. Lol!! :bigsmile:
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

I mean come on people if you can't go out from time and time and enjoy some buffalo wings and beer, what the hell is the point of living? Are we just going to burry ourselves in our homes and eat baked chicken and veggies for the rest of our lives..??????????

Why not? For some people, a light beer and baked chicken with wing sauce is a good compromise. For others not. It's an individual thing.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    While I agree with most of the advice you are getting here today, in particular:
    1. Calculating your TDEE and creating a deficit off of that because there is a chance that 1200 is lower than you need anyway and you may want to adjust your goal permanently
    2. Once you know your TDEE you also know your maintenance calories so you know what you can reasonably eat in one day without gaining weight - so don't sweat it if you eat up to that number
    3. Exercise extra or eat a little under your goal (not advisable if your goal is 1200) to bank some extra calories.
    4. Don't sweat it even if you do go over, you will not destroy your progress or derail your future weight loss with one day of indulgence.

But ultimately you better get this figured out soon or you are totally screwed... because the Royals are on such a hot streak that they are going to the World Series and you are going to have this dilemma again and again for the next two weeks!

Go Royals!
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

Baked chicken I can handle... but Yuengling light? For shame. If I'm going to have a beer, I'm at least going to make it real beer. For that matter, the better plan sounds like skipping the chicken altogether so that you can fit 2 good beers into those 500 calories. f_cheers.gif
  • suzi_quzi
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »

But ultimately you better get this figured out soon or you are totally screwed... because the Royals are on such a hot streak that they are going to the World Series and you are going to have this dilemma again and again for the next two weeks!

Go Royals!

Tell me about it!!!!!!!! Take the crown!! :D It's kind of a wonderful dilemma to have.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Why not? For some people, a light beer and baked chicken with wing sauce is a good compromise. For others not. It's an individual thing.

Because you can "spend" and extra 30ish calories and drink a Guinness?!?! When I go for wings I get a salad with grilled tenders tossed in wing sauce and fat free ranch. Clocks in around 500 calories. Beer, all bets are off. I usually go for a draught IPA, and those are pretty high in calories.