It doesn't work for me!!!

I'm kinda a vegetarian, I only love fruits and vegetables (meat sometimes just to avoid being dizzy). So I'm pretty skinny and not too strong. But everyone wants to get better shape as well as stronger, so I decided to start up workout. I do 30 day squat challenge, 100 abs crunches, 7 minutes of combination of leg raises, squats per day. It's already 30 days but it doesn't work for me.
My goal is to get more toned bottom and smaller waist. Could you please gimme some recommendations of how to reach that goal?
I'm sorry if my English doesn't make sense, thank you in advance!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Eat more meat.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    It takes longer than 30days to see changes in your body from strength training with weights. It will prob take longer with just body weight exercises. What you can se in 30 days in an increase in strength.

If you want to stay with body weight look into convict conditioning or you are your own gym. Both use progressively more difficult ever sizes to develop results.

Or you are willing to use weights the book new rules of lifting for women is filled with information and has a good program to start you off. The book strong curves is also good and has a lower body only workout if you want it.

The bottom line is with lifting/strength traning you need to take pics every 3mo the so you can compare the changes. They will come slowly and if you don't have the pics you will prob never see the changes. It's kinda like slowly turning up the lights, you adjust as it's happening so don't notice it.
  • Jennikitten
    Jennikitten Posts: 142 Member
    Eat more meat.

How ridiculous!!!
    Do you mean protein? You know you can get more than enough protein for plenty of places without meat
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    Eat more meat.

How ridiculous!!!
    Do you mean protein? You know you can get more than enough protein for plenty of places without meat
    I think the eat more is in reference to her admitting she is getting dizzy and the fact that her goal is to BUILD muscle, not her choosing to eat mostly vegitarian. You're the one who assumed the comment ment meat, relax!
  • Jennikitten
    Jennikitten Posts: 142 Member
    The comment was actually 'eat more meat'
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    The comment was actually 'eat more meat'

I apologize, I didn't see the meat part.

I agree with the eat more part, and believe she is prob protein deficient.

Op I don't know if you have chosen to be vegetarian or not, but you need I get complete protein chains in your diet. The easiest way is with meat, but you can get it through plant based protein. You just need to research the types of protein provided (most plant protein is made of incomplete protein chains)and make sure you are getting all the aminos(protein chains) required.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    More protein
    More weight/resistance with your workouts
    More patience
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    If you are only eating fruit and vegetables until the point where you 'get dizzy' then you may have a problem. Research a balanced diet.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    More protein
    More weight/resistance with your workouts
    More patience

all of this!
  • AngieM76
    AngieM76 Posts: 622 Member
    If you are only eating fruit and vegetables until the point where you 'get dizzy' then you may have a problem. Research a balanced diet.

This
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Strength training, on the same body part, shouldn't be done daily (with perhaps the exception of abs - but still not every day). Muscles need rest in order to "repair themselves". That "reparation" is actually what builds more muscle and creates more definition. I fell off the wagon (but I'm back now!!!) but have been weight training for more than 20 years. The first half I did it all wrong. I did full body workouts everyday and was in the gym for 4 hours at a time (including cardio). I love working out so it wasn't a chore but it was not a smart way to get toned/lean. Then I started reading fitness mags and books and learned what I was doing wrong. I spent half (or less) the time in the gym and my body looked incredible in a short amount of time. I also learned that I shouldn't stop at the burger joint on my way home from the gym! Keep in mind that diet (meaning what you eat and how often, not being on a diet) is probably more than 80% of what contributes to weightloss and getting lean. You need to not only get stronger and build muscle to get definititon. You also need to burn fat so that muscle shows through.

- My biggest tips for weight loss and muscle development are: 1) Do weight training and add variety (high reps, lighter weights or low reps, heavier weights), 2) Don't work the same body part two days in a row (be aware of compound exercises that engage multiple muscles), 3) Drink tons of water (it really is the vehicle that flushes the fat and 4) Get plenty of sleep. When I have been at my leanest, I could literally feel my body burning fat and muscles getting stronger while I rested. Also, don't forget the cardio, especially HIIT!

- If you are doing body weight exercises like airsquats you can vary the speed to simulate higher reps / lighter weights and vice versa. For more "toning" speed up your squats. For more building try to do less squats really slowly. You will feel like you are lifting more weight when you do that and your legs will get really strong. If your knees are in good shape try doing "the chair" while you watch tv or read. You can google it to see how to do it. But it is pretty much like sitting in an invisible chair while your back is against a wall. I think if you have bad knees that exercise is not so good.

Good luck!
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    By the way, ab crunches don't make your waist smaller, lol, they just make your abs stronger. Losing fat around your waist makes your waist smaller. Even if you are skinny, you could be "skinny fat". I watched tons of videos on YT that show skinny women transform their bodies and achieve curvy and lean figures without gaining a pound. They used weight training and diet, for the most part. And obviously cardio is important to keep your heart healthy and it also burns fat.
  • Thank you all so much for your posts. I'm not on a diet, I just don't enjoy meat. And I tried sitting on an invisible chair earlier, I thought it was easy but it turned out so hard. I could only do it for 30s :( I often do workout in 3 days straight then have 1 day off (according to the 30 day squat challenge). Thank you, I'll google all of them, and do workout for a long term goal. You know, if you are not in a hurry to see the result, you will feel much better :D