pant size help

Options
I have lost some weight. I have been plus size my entire life. So I went to kohl's so buy dress pants for an interview because my size 16w were a little baggy and I want to look sharp for my interview. So I look for a size 14w and can't find any. So I try size 16w in different brands less baggy than the pants I have but still a little baggy. So I go to the regular size department and the biggest size I can find is a 14. I got them on no problem but you can see my underwear line right through them so they are to small. Is 14 the highest regular size they make? I know I have seen 12 at lane brayant so I think I am still plus sized. I just cant afford lane brayant right now, if I get this job I will be able to shop there again. Any suggestions where I can get dress pants size 14w for $30 or less?

Replies

• dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    I thought a lot of stores made a 16 or 18 in regular sizes & also in women's plus sizes?

http://www.kohls.com/catalog/womens-pants-bottoms-clothing.jsp?CN=4294720878+4294719806+4294719807+4294719810

According to their website they have some sizes in a 16P, 16S, & a 16T for regular sizes; however, stores may offer different sizes due to what sells the most.
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I have kinda the same issue - it is so hard finding 16/18's in stock at stores! And for some reason most 16's are WAY too tight for me, yet 18's and 16W's are baggy. I am ready to give up on pants altogether lol.

When I was working (20lbs ago), I found the perfect pair of work pants at a clothes store, just a smidge too small for me, so I noted the brand/style and found them online, and they had bigger sizes available. Site-to-store shipping was free, so don't be afraid to check it out!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Try J.C.Penney. Also Dress Barn, Target. Marshalls, Ross, . .
  • oxers
    oxers Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Old Navy is your new best friend. Fairly affordable, big spread of sizes. When I was a 16/18, I had no problem finding stuff to cover my butt, and they've still p much got me taken care of at 12.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    It seems that 16 is the borderline of regular and plus sizing. I went out and tried on 16UP and 16P from Reitmans (fit just fine once up passed my butt) and 16 from Costco (couldn't get them zipped and were claustrophobic). I've seen 14 in AdditionElle (plus size store), so there are 14s out there, just finding them will be a pain. Be sure you're trying on the "right" type of 16. I found this Wiki article informative.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_standard_clothing_size#Women.27s_sizes
  • jennifurballs
    jennifurballs Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Cato's clothes come in plus and regular sizes. They are super affordable and surprisingly good quality and style.
  • AOdell79
    AOdell79 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Maybe you just need thong underwear?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Old Navy or Wal-Mart. If you check the bargain sections of online catalog companies, you should be able to find size 16 pants.

Good luck.
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Air of brands don't make 16s , and some stores don't stock them. You'd have more luck online. Also, in addition to the stores named above, try Macy's. At least when I worked there, they had a decent selection of 16s.

However, if the problem is just the panty line and not true tightness, get some new underwear. There are some kinds that are very smooth and hardly show. You don't have to wear thongs (which by the way, can also show, but in a more embarrassing place). Try Commando, Natori's bliss line (the nylon kind is better than the cotton), and DKNY.

In larger sizes, the difference between sizes is 1.5-2 inches instead of one, so clothes do go through a baggy phase.
  • gizy
    gizy Posts: 3 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I second Macy's. I love these pants, and my current ones are 16's (and I just bought two in 14's). For under $30 and machine washable, they are amazing.
    http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/jm-collection-curvy-fit-straight-leg-pants?ID=1002485&CategoryID=157#fn=sp=1&spc=18&kws=jm curvy fit pants&slotId=9

• beckytcy
    beckytcy Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I agree -- Target and Old Navy. And yes, if you don't want to see lines, you'll have to wear a thong.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Assuming I planned to lose more weight, I'd go with the slightly tight pants from Kohl's and wear spanx instead of underwear so no panty line. Soon enough, they'll fit just fine.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I think 16s are a fairly common size so it just may be a matter of that particular style being sold out of the 16W or 16s at your Kohl's. Or may even be a matter of poor ordering. Do you have any consignment or thrift shops in your area? Or even a bargain fashion stores like TJ Maxx or Marshall's? I've always had better luck at those types of places because they have a variety of sizes and styles to choose from. With consignment shops, the clothes tend to be new or nearly new. You have to be a bit more careful in thrift shops (I've seen stains, tears) but sometimes you luck out and find stuff with the tags still on it.
  • amberl10
    amberl10 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    You’ll want to look for a size 16 regular. I shop the Misses department because those sizes tend to fit be better.
  • Amberbcox
    Options
    I agree with previous posters OLD NAVY!!!! The clothes are affordable, hold up well, and look decent. Just glad there is a choice now besides Lane Bryant. I can't afford them any more either!
  • stepkiko
    stepkiko Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The trick is to try on every style they have, see which style fits best then go up or down a size. Depending on the style of a pant I can go up or down 1-2 sizes. Every style is made different and fits different. Even within the same brand.
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Goodwill just pick out a few sizes and try them on. Cheap especially if you plan on losing more weight.
  • maybebaby34
    maybebaby34 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    My experience. ...when I lost, a size 12 plus was too big. But! Or should I say BUTT! ;) a regular 14 was tight. There is a size difference of a 12 plus and a 12 regular and a HUGE difference in 12 jr/miss. You can try on a 100 pairs and they all fit so different. Once I could wear a 10 jr/miss in one pant, next pair a 15. I liked the 15's best, so I just cut out the tag and pretend. Trying on is just really important as we loose, learning new things about our new body. Good luck at the interview!
  • 18jaguilar2
    Options
    ive lost so much wieght i have a 6 pack now cause of this app