Olive Oil

Options
Okay I am confused. Why do all the diet doctors, programs, etc. go on and on about using olive oil instead of canola, corn and vegetable oil? The calories per tablespoon is the same. What is the difference then?

Replies

• she_elf
    she_elf Posts: 108
    Options
    In addition to the healthy fats, I heard on Dr. Oz that eating olives (or using olive oil) will help cut down belly fat.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    saturated vs unsaturated

but fat is really fat. if you MUST use oils/butter its better to use extra virgin olive oil or canola oils.
  • jlbearse
    jlbearse Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have actually increased my fat consumption by about 10% and I'm losing weight faster. Olive oil, fish oils and flax oil provides monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats that preserves good cholesterol and gets rid of bad cholesterol, fill you up (satiation) and promote the production of certain hormones. Canola, corn and vegetable are hydrogenated oils (man made) and not as healthy and don't have any of the healthy benefits olive oil does.
  • katiecclarke
    Options
    Its all the good fats in it. Use Extra Virgin Light Olive Oil - the taste is milder. Plus to save repetition everything that jlbearse said!
  • VixFit2011
    VixFit2011 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Omega 3's
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Corn and veggies don't have that much oil in them, if any. So the oil that is created from them is chemically created. Olive oil is naturally created when you press olives. Ultimately, the less chemically processed someething is, the better your body will use it and the better it is for you.