Les Mills Instructor Certification HELP!

I have been decided that I want to train for Les Mills Instructor Certification. I work out 3 times a week and do mostly Les Mills classes. I would like to train to become an instructor. I need to train daily but I don't know what things I need to do. I am still on the weight loss journey, which is why I am attempting the instructor training. However, I have a hard time motivating myself to do anymore than the 3 days of heavy workout. So, I need a workout plan or program that is going to keep me motivated to do more. I'm open for suggestions.

Are these some good suggestions?
Nike Training Club
Insanity (Don't really like it)
Boot Camp Programs

Please! I need help?

Replies

• isisbryan
    isisbryan Posts: 105 Member
    need help! Please respond
  • bruerin
    bruerin Posts: 124 Member
    I think you need to talk to the facility where you will be teaching your classes. The fitness director or manager should be able to guide you. Or, maybe even contact Les Mills directly and ask their advice?
  • isisbryan
    isisbryan Posts: 105 Member
    Thanks! But I was looking for information to assist with training before I went to the Facility Director. Once you approach the FD then you are looking to start instruction. Honestly, I'm not there yet. I am trying to get there because I don't think I am fit enough to teach and do the work.
  • It would depend on which programs you are looking to train in. Best way is to continue doing Les Mills classes, it is best to be familiar and comfortable with the program you wish to teach. If you're looking for extra workouts or motivation try a Grit class, it is definitely a challenge but will get you super fit, super fast and help if you want to train in any or the strength or cardio Les Mills programs. Also a good idea to get some yoga or Body Balance classes in for recovery between the full on weights and cardio sessions!

If you can afford it it's also worth having a personal trainer, they'll keep you accountable and motivated.

Also remember that instructors are human too, you don't have to be super fit, or look like a supermodel to teach a class, you just need to be fit enough to get through the class and talk at the same time. The most important thing is that you have a passion for the class type you want to teach! That's what will motivate your participants! :)

Hope this helps!

Source: I am a Les Mills Grit, Body Attack, Body Balance and Body Pump instructor.
  • ElBriano
    ElBriano Posts: 10 Member
    When I became a Les Mills Instructor, one bit of advice other instructors gave me was the need to become more aerobic. It is one thing to take a class, it is another to remember the choreography and call out instructions and timings without sounding like you are short of breath.

For me, interval running worked well to get me where I wanted to go in a short time. Here are a couple of websites that cover what worked for me:
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/01/27/kick-your-*kitten*-and-kickstart-your-metabolism-in-20-minutes/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17414804

This got me to where I needed to be aerobically running just a few times a week in just a couple of weeks. While I like to run the impact of running regularly is not good for my joints. Once I got to where I needed to be, I was able to push myself harder in classes to stay there. I will do this once in a while before a quarterly, when taking new training, or getting back into peak shape after time away from the gym.

The next thing is to figure out which classes you would like to teach and which you think you might be good at. You should find yourself at the front of classes, pushing yourself at least as hard as the instructors and your form should be just as sharp. Talk to the instructors and let them know your goal of being an instructor too. Many of them are happy to help you on your journey with extra tips and guidance.