BMR, TDEE, and BMI Calculator

Options
In an attempt to help other dieters in the 5:2 Fasting group I've created a calculator that addresses many of the limitations found in others around the web.

It is completely self-contained (on one page) and has no ads or annoying redirects; only info directly related to BMR, TDEE, and BMI. I'm just paying it forward...giving back to those on MyFitnessPal who have encouraged and inspired me.

There is a lot of info on this page (by clicking the help icons) if you really want to understand what's behind the calculations and final values. I also put in options to manually change "calories burned per pound of fat" and the "activity level factor" for those who want even more control when tweaking their numbers.

There is also a a fully interactive weight goal section which includes a BMI comparison (against other BMI's), a BMR warning bar (for those who follow the rule of not eating under your BMR...on average), a separate exercise field (if you want to pull your exercise calories out of the activity factor) along with a section specifically for intermittent fasting.

I saw a lot of other threads addressing the limitations of other calculators but didn't want to "hijack" any of them, so I started my own (this one).

The calculator is located at:
www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/

Comments and suggestions are welcome and encouraged. While I may not be able to add all of the features you may want (or need), I'll certainly see what I can do.

Also, please report any errors, broken links, or misspellings.

Thanks, I hope this will help others.

I was looking to add a link here to the original conversation/thread (that prompted me to build the calculator) in the "5:2 Fasting" group, but the whole group went missing Saturday morning (Oct 11, 2014). Hopefully MFP will be able to restore it (it would be a terrible loss of information and experiences if they can't/don't).

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I like the ability to average out different equations and entering in the rate of loss desired. Although I'm spoiled, I do not really like drop-down calculators. I prefer ones like health-calc.com where you enter in time spent at different activity levels. E.g. if working out 2-3x a week but you have a super active job, a drop-down may not quite work for you. I also prefer that approach as it's easier for people who follow NEAT method, as they will not be given too-low NEAT maintenance. The expanded list is also a cool feature, though.

I'm really not sure what those gradient bars are supposed to be indicating. Why would a 4lb/month loss only be "okay" while a 1lb/month loss be considered "good"? I currently have 15-20lbs to lose, so for me 3-4lbs/month is a reasonable goal. It does appear to change based on current weight inputted, but I don't think that the "rating" is ideal. One needs to consider not just the current weight but also goal weight and goal BF. So while I'm 168lbs and want to lose another 15-20, someone else may need to lose 50lbs to get to the same BF goal if they weigh the same. So a 4-5lb monthly loss would of course be more than okay, and yet the rating did not change when I entered this in. So just wondering what this rating is based off of. Your calculator seems to think that losing 0.2lbs a month is much better than 4lbs a month.

I do not do IF though, I don't personally see the point, so that may have an influence on my readings of the calculator. Although I'd assume that everything but the IF portion should be applicable to everyone.
  • orlcam
    orlcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    ...I'm really not sure what those gradient bars are supposed to be indicating. Why would a 4lb/month loss only be "okay" while a 1lb/month loss be considered "good"? I currently have 15-20lbs to lose, so for me 3-4lbs/month is a reasonable goal. It does appear to change based on current weight inputted, but I don't think that the "rating" is ideal. One needs to consider not just the current weight but also goal weight and goal BF. So while I'm 168lbs and want to lose another 15-20, someone else may need to lose 50lbs to get to the same BF goal if they weigh the same. So a 4-5lb monthly loss would of course be more than okay, and yet the rating did not change when I entered this in. So just wondering what this rating is based off of. Your calculator seems to think that losing 0.2lbs a month is much better than 4lbs a month...
    It is there for people who follow the rule that you shouldn't eat below your BMR. This is one of those hotly contested ideas...personally, I eat under my BMR all the time. If you click on the "?" icon it explains that in the help popup...it's just there as an added tool. Maybe an option to make it disappear would be useful.

Also, on calculating activity...you can actually choose a "base" activity level and add any exercise "above" that in the "Weight Goal" box at the bottom. I agree that using just "activity level" (especially the antiquated short list) is just too broad. Using Metabolic Equivalent of Task (MET) codes is (in my opinion) the most accurate...that is also explained in the popup help.

I'll take a look at the other calculator you suggested, maybe it could be incorporated.

Thanks for the feedback.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I love your calc, orlcam! Please don't add any more features...I love the simplicity of this calc combined with the option to tweak my numbers. I sort of agree that the gradient bar doesn't really add anything for me.

I also love that I can see how the different methods yield different estimates.

Here's another calc that I really like because it's simple to use and understand:

http://www.free-online-calculator-use.com/military-body-fat-calculator.html#Waist

http://www.free-online-calculator-use.com/activities-calorie-calculator.html
  • Amberbcox
    Options
    Can't wait to try these out!! THANKS
  • klairy1989
    klairy1989 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Very thought out and it seems that you put a lot of effort in it! thank you very much i will try it for sure!

one question though: according to it, i should bu consuming 1600kcal, with exercise and all, while now i am eating 1400, isn't it a lot more? I am just asking , because if I can eat 200 more calories and still lose.... yay party time!!!!! :D
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    klairy1989 wrote: »
    Very thought out and it seems that you put a lot of effort in it! thank you very much i will try it for sure!

one question though: according to it, i should bu consuming 1600kcal, with exercise and all, while now i am eating 1400, isn't it a lot more? I am just asking , because if I can eat 200 more calories and still lose.... yay party time!!!!! :D

Not necessarily, since per MFP's goal you should be eating 1400 plus exercise calories. If you burn 200 calories and eat them back, that's a 1600 calorie intake.