Is there a way to lose bodyfat with just EXERCISE (including cardio, strength training etc) alone?

Options
13»

Replies

• totem12
    totem12 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I know my lowest weight was when I was walking 40 minutes to and 40 minutes from work everyday. I wouldn't say I was consciously counting cals at the time, but I was also doing some exercise in the evenings and had a job that kept me on my feet all day. Even then, it was one eye on the scale. Have a pizza if I wanted it, have whatever I wanted to eat whenever, and when my weight inevitably crept up a bit it was back to being 'good' for a couple of weeks. I had obviously found MY balance, but this will be different for everyone. One thing I will say is that after a long time counting calories you start to get a good feel for the calories in foods, what you can eat in a day etc, and it does become less of a chore.
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Everyone keeps saying you can't out-train a bad diet as if it's automatically assumed the diet will be bad.

No, we say because it's truism about weight loss. If you eat a bad diet, you can't out train it. Don't read more into it than that.
    One can out-train a good diet that has no calorie counting.

By definition, you don't need to out train a good diet.
    If he is aware of how much he usually eats and makes effort not to eat more than he does he will eventually lose weight if he includes some good burns into his routine.

That really only works if you eat the same things every day. The problem with monotonous diets is that people don't tend to stick them. Real life gets in the way. Sure you eat chicken breast and asparagus on Sunday and you're doing fine but come Monday you forgot to do your grocery shopping the day before so you impulse buy a turkey and cheddar panini at the supermarket deli. On Tuesday, you decide to try something new like making your own pizza. You try all kinds of cheese and meats on it. You eat 1/3 of it. On Wed, it's your niece's birthday and you have a piece of spice cake with cream frosting and a scoop of ice cream. Thursday you work late and grab a Chipotle salad on the way home. It's just a salad so you adding sour cream and guacamole is OK, right? Friday your co-workers talk you into going out for Mongolian BBQ. Next week every agrees to sushi and you'll be eating eel for the first time! Saturday is a cookout with burgers, hot dogs and corn on the cob and one or maybe two or perhaps three beers. Now, how many calories did you eat that week? Did you go over or not? Can you honestly hope to guestimate and expect to be in the right ball park?

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    So first of all I think what you're really asking is whether or not it's possible to lose weight without tracking calories.

It certainly is for some people but it may not be possible without some other form of restriction somewhere, and/or without taking the time to develop habits around food that facilitate weight loss.

I do think that short term tracking is highly beneficial to help this process along as it can help you become aware of proper portion sizes.

I also think there are going to be preferential aspects of dieting that will differ from person to person so it can become difficult to recommend a framework that is going to apply to everyone. That being said, I've been experimenting with this both for myself and for a couple of clients. I've blogged about it here and you can feel free to take a look at it just in case you get anything of value from it. I don't claim this advice to be universally applicable to everyone -- this is just a general set of ideas that has been helpful for me and a few others, and I'm sure I'll add to or modify this as I get more experience doing this myself and coaching others:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/SideSteel/view/methods-without-logging-697613

Logical thought out response that bares repeating.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    You don't have to count calories. You could just do the portion control method with a meat, carb, fat at every meal and fill half your plate with veggies and have two fruits a day for a snack. Don't snack at night (my worst downfall). Making some changes instead of counting every calorie works (fruit instead of chips, one piece of meatloaf and a scoop of potatoes or a big steak and no carb - either of those meals with a huge salad and no second helpings, etc.) and can go a long way to help see results. Adding exercise will help increase your efforts. Exercise played a HUGE role in my weight loss, continuing efforts, and overall mental wellbeing. It did some pretty nice things for my shape as well (better posture, looking better in clothes). The problem with only exercise is that as it tends to (usually) make you hungrier, and if you are not consciously controlling your diet in some way, you probably won't lose much weight. I like to bike, run, and lift weights. I change it up with kickboxing and Zumba as well. Personally I think lifting weights makes me hungrier (sure it increases your metabolism, but that's what makes you hungry - the catch 22 here), so I make sure I eat a fruit/protein mix RIGHT after I workout. That helps ALOT. Usually Greek yogurt and strawberries with Stevia or a banana and a hard boiled egg, or a smoothie. Yes you have to put SOME effort into your diet, but there is a happy medium.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    peter56765 wrote: »
    Everyone keeps saying you can't out-train a bad diet as if it's automatically assumed the diet will be bad.

No, we say because it's truism about weight loss. If you eat a bad diet, you can't out train it. Don't read more into it than that.
    One can out-train a good diet that has no calorie counting.

By definition, you don't need to out train a good diet.
    If he is aware of how much he usually eats and makes effort not to eat more than he does he will eventually lose weight if he includes some good burns into his routine.

That really only works if you eat the same things every day. The problem with monotonous diets is that people don't tend to stick them. Real life gets in the way. Sure you eat chicken breast and asparagus on Sunday and you're doing fine but come Monday you forgot to do your grocery shopping the day before so you impulse buy a turkey and cheddar panini at the supermarket deli. On Tuesday, you decide to try something new like making your own pizza. You try all kinds of cheese and meats on it. You eat 1/3 of it. On Wed, it's your niece's birthday and you have a piece of spice cake with cream frosting and a scoop of ice cream. Thursday you work late and grab a Chipotle salad on the way home. It's just a salad so you adding sour cream and guacamole is OK, right? Friday your co-workers talk you into going out for Mongolian BBQ. Next week every agrees to sushi and you'll be eating eel for the first time! Saturday is a cookout with burgers, hot dogs and corn on the cob and one or maybe two or perhaps three beers. Now, how many calories did you eat that week? Did you go over or not? Can you honestly hope to guestimate and expect to be in the right ball park?

I just see this statement thrown around whenever a person prefers not to count and spend extra effort on exercise, who already said he will not be stuffing his face with high calorie food all day.

And yes, you need to "out-train" any old diet to lose weight. Using the term loosely to mean burn more than you consume through your diet.

All the situations you mentioned can be controlled without counting calories. Isn't that what people who are naturally thin do? For someone who is not naturally thin there will be a learning curve, but it's doable. Impulse buy panini? Have as soup and a big bowl of green salad 10 minutes before you sit down for the panini and you're full enough not to overeat it. Want to make pizza? Have something low calorie but satiating for breakfast. A cookout or a party? Eat light for a few days and train extra, then indulge at the party within reason.

Did you go over your calories that week? The scale will tell you and you will gradually learn how to cope and adjust. You have a mental picture of the size of your portions and your eyeballing skills get better the more you use them.

Being aware, and not mindlessly putting things in your mouth + having the ability to devise strategies to fit your personal preferences and circumstances is all it takes. It may mean slower progress, some weeks of not losing, other weeks of losing too fast, or maintaining. It will be less predictable, but as long as one takes more steps forward than he does backward it all works out.

I maintained for about 5 months before resuming my weight loss and it was without counting a single calories. Why do I count now you say? Because I enjoy numbers and like the predictability.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    The problem with your approach is, in my opinion, that if you exercise a lot you get super hungry, and then, if you aren't watching what you eat the calories WILL creep up. They just naturally will.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    tufel wrote: »
    The problem with your approach is, in my opinion, that if you exercise a lot you get super hungry, and then, if you aren't watching what you eat the calories WILL creep up. They just naturally will.

Yup. This will happen.
  • jenronan1
    jenronan1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Strength training will help build lean muscle mass, which will increase your metabolism and help your body become a fat burning machine.

High intense cardiovascular things, such as spin class, biking, tennis (esp. cardio tennis), running classes - things that would cause your exertion to go anaerobic, then recover is a good way to torch calories.

I realize it is a pain to track everything you eat - we are creatures of habit and tend to eat the same foods for the majority of the time, try tracking a few days here and in combination with activity to get a good idea of calories in/calories out. Plus, as you increase your activity, you will be hungrier, so you want to make sure you are getting enough calories to support your activity, otherwise you will binge.

Hope this helps and find things that you enjoy doing, because it should be fun!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    heavy lifting and exlax might work ….
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Uhfgood wrote: »
    samammay wrote: »
    Wait - so the 3 minutes it takes in a day to count calories is more effort than the 2-3 hours a day it will take to exercise off your bad diet?

I'm in no way advocating a bad diet.

There are some forms of exercise I enjoy doing, or at least that don't seem like work.

To say it only take 3 minutes a day to count calories isn't the whole picture. For one thing you don't do it once, although I suppose if I could remember what I ate that day at the end, it would work. (Shouldn't be too hard, but sometimes you over look some snacks, as well as having to remember exactly the portions you ate, and specifically what you added, did I have half a tablespoon of mayo and a teaspoon of ketchup or was it just one full tablespoon of mayo.) For another thing you're going okay, so what do I have left to eat, 1200 calories, okay that's two 600 calorie meals (lunch and dinner), but wait I'm having that 800 calorie dinner, so that leaves 400 for lunch, okay, so lunch comes around but you forgot to add in that soda (no comments about cutting out soda), so now you can't eat that 800 calorie dinner, you have to make it a 600 calorie dinner again.

It's most likely I'm doing it all wrong, yeah say what you want about pre-planning and pre-making your meals but now you've turned a 3 minute chore into 30 minutes, and then you spent a whole half a day at the beginning of the week pre-cooking some of your meals.

So you may be condescending if you want, I'll continue to look for the exercises that burn more so I don't have to restrict myself to just all-you-can-eat brocolli and a 4 oz steak (4 ounces of steak, HAH!)

I pre-log all my meals and it takes me five minutes max…hell, I have my diary filled out through wednesday and I did that sitting here watching football …took about eight minutes total …

OP - no offense, but you just sound lazy. Until you are reedy to make the necessary changes and commit to a meal and exercise plan that 220 pounds is not going to go anywhere….

• Uhfgood
    Uhfgood Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Uhfgood wrote: »
    samammay wrote: »
    Wait - so the 3 minutes it takes in a day to count calories is more effort than the 2-3 hours a day it will take to exercise off your bad diet?

I'm in no way advocating a bad diet.

There are some forms of exercise I enjoy doing, or at least that don't seem like work.

To say it only take 3 minutes a day to count calories isn't the whole picture. For one thing you don't do it once, although I suppose if I could remember what I ate that day at the end, it would work. (Shouldn't be too hard, but sometimes you over look some snacks, as well as having to remember exactly the portions you ate, and specifically what you added, did I have half a tablespoon of mayo and a teaspoon of ketchup or was it just one full tablespoon of mayo.) For another thing you're going okay, so what do I have left to eat, 1200 calories, okay that's two 600 calorie meals (lunch and dinner), but wait I'm having that 800 calorie dinner, so that leaves 400 for lunch, okay, so lunch comes around but you forgot to add in that soda (no comments about cutting out soda), so now you can't eat that 800 calorie dinner, you have to make it a 600 calorie dinner again.

It's most likely I'm doing it all wrong, yeah say what you want about pre-planning and pre-making your meals but now you've turned a 3 minute chore into 30 minutes, and then you spent a whole half a day at the beginning of the week pre-cooking some of your meals.

So you may be condescending if you want, I'll continue to look for the exercises that burn more so I don't have to restrict myself to just all-you-can-eat brocolli and a 4 oz steak (4 ounces of steak, HAH!)

I pre-log all my meals and it takes me five minutes max…hell, I have my diary filled out through wednesday and I did that sitting here watching football …took about eight minutes total …

OP - no offense, but you just sound lazy. Until you are reedy to make the necessary changes and commit to a meal and exercise plan that 220 pounds is not going to go anywhere….

I have a feeling that it took quite a while before you got all your meals put together and written down. So sure it takes you a few minutes every thing is done (of course you did do it yourself, but it's not like someone like me who doesn't have much experience with this sort of thing is going to be sitting down and taking less than 10 minutes figuring out my meals for the next few weeks, months, or years)

Okay so excuse me for essentially being a beginner.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    It's fine to be a beginner. Don't be lazy bro.