Want to exercise but can't because of pain

Options
Lqqieee
Lqqieee Posts: 45 Member
edited October 2014 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm 38 years old. I have about 75 pounds to lose. I'd love to be more active and exercise but I have issues with pain. For starters I've had back surgery for slipped discs in my back so I have chronic lower back pain which will never go away. Recently I've been having right hip and right knee pain for a few months now. I sound like a senior citizen lol. Even my feet hurt because they're flat which is another topic (I need good arch inserts like Good Feet but they're so crazy expensive).
I've worked out slow in the past like swimming and walking but even those low-impact exercises hurt. I don't have a gym membership and I'm not going to join one because I'll never go and my money will be wasted. Any idea on what I should do to condition and strengthen my lower back, knee, hip and feet so I can exercise? Or exercises that people do with back, knee or hip problems?

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Are you seeing anyone for your pains? If not, you should be. If so, I would ask for their advice. When medical conditions are involved, especially one as severe as yours, it's not always best to just take random advice from strangers on the internet. I hope you find some relief soon - living with chronic pain is horrible.
  • mamacoates
    mamacoates Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Have your doctor refer you to a physical therapist. Sounds like you need professional guidance in putting together an effective exercise plan for your condition.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Are you seeing anyone for your pains? If not, you should be. If so, I would ask for their advice. When medical conditions are involved, especially one as severe as yours, it's not always best to just take random advice from strangers on the internet. I hope you find some relief soon - living with chronic pain is horrible.

I agree with this. You should seek exercise advice from a doctor familiar with your condition to prevent injury.
  • Lqqieee
    Lqqieee Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I agree seeing a physical therapist is a good idea but I've been down that route. They work with getting rid of the pain but as soon as I stop PT, pain comes back. I want to learn exercises that work around certain areas of pain. Mainly just tips from others that have had knee pain or back pain.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I've been in physical therapy for a tailbone injury and a hip injury, and most recently recovered from hernia surgery following the birth of my 4th baby. Honestly, get those inserts and when they teach you pain relieving moves in PT - don't stop doing them. I will have to continue some of the things I learned for my hip forever. When you stop going to PT don't stop using what you learned, ask for pain management ideas, 75 lbs is quite a bit and when it's gone I'd put money on much of your pain going with it....
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    There are no exercises that can work around lower back pain, unfortunately. Not even a leisurely stroll. I snapped the ligaments down there in a car accident and although after 6+ years it's finally manageable day-to-day, if I'm not careful it flares up like crazy.

The hip and knee, however, might be from compensating for your back pain and might well respond permanently to some PT. Especially since they're on the same side, I'd bet it has something to do with your gait and could be fixed. You could also try wrapping your knee (check youtube for instructions) and see if that helps with the pain there.