Single mom of 2, 41 years old, 5'7", wanting to lose 50+ lbs

Options
Hello all. My name is Beth and I am staring my journey today.

I have been slowly gaining weight for the last 2 years and have managed to secure some pretty bad back pain as a result. I could blame depression, my divorce, being a single working mom who hasn't had regular child support for over a year....but the truth is, I gave up on myself and have wallowed in this pity party for one for too long. So here I am. I'd LOVE to lose 50. I am 225 (gasp) now and that would put me at 175. Though I don't really care about the scale and I don't desire to be a stick. I love my curves, but when I can't bend over to put on shoes and getting on spanks in the morning results in sweating and heavy breathing, I know those curves are just a bit TOO large. lol. My goal is a good size 10-12.

I just ordered my fitbit, and plan to do Couch2K, weights and yoga. My doctor said yoga would help my lower back pain. I need to diet and exercise because my cholesterol is too high. And I also need to cut back on the wine consumption....damnit!

Would love to hear from anyone seeking friendship and support. The fall/winter is a tough time for me because I LOVE to cook and hibernate.

Replies

• lizzie14115
    lizzie14115 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hi Beth, I'm Catrina,
    Welcome!, and please add me as a pal, as i think we have a lot in common...
    would love to get to know you better and we can support each other along our journey of "getting there".
    I am recently separated, but was married before, and have two boys, and love, love , love wine!! lol
    Go on, add me, we can do it together, and maybe have a laugh along the way :)
  • badham72
    badham72 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Wow, for a moment I thought I had written your post!, add me if you want. Leigh x
  • ballardf
    ballardf Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi. First of all glad to see you are taking the first steps. If I would give any advice it would be to ease into it and be patient. I am 51 years old and I know how hard it is. I've been on MFP for about a month and a half but have lost about 70 lbs over the last 5 yrs. I got tired of losing and gaining and realized I had to change my eating habits and exercise more. Remember you didn't gain the weight over night and you shouldn't try to lose it over night either. Good luck on your journey! You can do it!!
  • Lennox497
    Lennox497 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    It does work to be with like minded individuals. Welcome to the community!
  • Dumbbell69
    Dumbbell69 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me
  • Cori_Mac
    Cori_Mac Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Hi Beth, great to meet you. I'm turning 40 next month and don't have children, but I do work full time and go to school full time. Hopefully the 40 pounds I want to drop will go away with hard work and support. Please feel free to add me, too. :)
  • ellie0213
    ellie0213 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Hey Beth -- I've worked through my back pain but I understand what you're going through.
    Feel free to add me.
  • shfoster0721
    shfoster0721 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Hi Beth, Nice to meet you. Feel free to add me if you want to hear about my journey, need support, advice, and or motivation. My name is Steve. I have been there and know what you are going through. In January of this year my wife went with me to the doctor. I stepped on the scale and my jaw could have hit the floor. I weighed in at 341 pounds the biggest I have ever been. I had high blood pressure, hypertension, high cholesterol and was pre-diabetic taking meds for most of those. We decided then that it was time for a change. I wanted to be around for the family that we plan on having. It's taken me since January and I am down 110 pounds and am off all the meds. I have done it slowly with a lifestyle change and support. Feel free to add me because I have been in your shoes. I know what it feels like. I am not done losing weight but I am on the right path. Remember, you can do it but it does take time.

Steve
  • cec2162
    cec2162 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    i added you, congrats on taking the time to work on getting yourself where you wanna be!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    WELCOME!, anyone can add me, I love cardio!