Pls help me determine my cal intake with an active job?

Options
jalisasaunders5
jalisasaunders5 Posts: 11 Member
edited October 2014 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey guys this is my first post on here! I'm grateful to have an online support group for my weight loss journey :smile:

I have lost about 60 lbs over the last few years.. I My goal is to lose about 25 lbs more. I am having trouble sticking to my calorie intake for weight loss which is around 1200, I have a feeling it might have something to do with my new job. I currently work at Costco 5 days a week and mostly 8hr shifts. If anybody here is familiar with Costco I am a "packer" which basically means throughout my day I unload carts of grocery's for people then load them back up after they've been rung through (lots of bending and lifting)...I also often do items runs a few times daily which basically means i return items or get items for people that are usually across the store, and I do this in a fast pace kind of sprint. My point is...im ALWAYS moving.

So given my activity level I gave myself an extra 100 cals to work with daily, which I am still having trouble sticking to long term (I can do 2-3 days at the most then I tend to break it)

I don't know how to rate my activity level or how many extra calories I should be eating daily? I really want to lose this extra 25lbs but I feel like if I was to eat 1400 or more daily there is no way I could lose anymore.

I would love some advice or ideas on how I can lose my extra pounds ? Also if you have a similar job as mine and how many cals you consume?

Thanks guys!

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    First your activity level should be set as active (this is your daily routine), exercise other than work or daily activities is added separately. Next, what are your stats? Height, weight and age?
  • jalisasaunders5
    edited October 2014
    Options
    im 5'0 139lbs and im 25. Thanks
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
    Alternately if using MFP you can set your activity level as discussed, enter your goal to lose half a pound a week, and enter exercise calories, eating back half (gives room for overestimation).
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html and health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced over scoobys if you are trying to calculate non-exercise related activity burn.

Also at 140lbs you can eat more than 1200 to lose weight. I recommend using the calculators I linked, subtract 20% and set as your goal. You can include exercise if you exercise regularly, and then you'd just eat the same daily. Or you can exclude exercise, just include work, and log and eat back exercise. I eat back 100% of my exercise cals personally. i'm all about eating as much as possible to lose weight.

YOu could possibly eat 1850 to lose 1lb/week, based on putting in 6hrs of standing/walking, 8.5hrs of sleep/reclining, and 30 mins of light exercise. This is from hte 2nd link which does estimate higher, but I feel it's a better link to start out with so you can start at more food and lower if needed.
  • jalisasaunders5
    Options
    This is such great advice, thank you both so much...I will check out your links ana3067. Much appreciated.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    This is such great advice, thank you both so much...I will check out your links ana3067. Much appreciated.

No problem, hopefully it helps you figure out an action plan :) Just remember not to fear calories. eat a lot, monitor weight, and if it's not working then just adjust your plan. Better to start off with too much and have to lower a bit than start off way too low and be stuck with barely any food in order to keep losing.
  • kahulalui
    Options
    I started using a pedometer bracelet. I burn about 100 calories for every mile I walk in a shift. Most of the time that is about 12 to 15 miles. I found out I was starving myself before.
  • jalisasaunders5
    Options
    okay I will get myself one of those :smile: I'm sure I take a million steps at work. Which bracelet do you have? was it expensive?
  • cnchmom
    cnchmom Posts: 1
    edited October 2014
    Options
    you can download an app to your phone to track your steps (it's free) i use walking mate.
  • Baconist
    Baconist Posts: 74 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I work in a chain store as well. I took the middle calorie intake after calculating it on, sorry, another website (already think MFP's info is way off) on some days I can burn as many calories as I take in, so although my goal is set at a number it is not written in stone, I allow up to 200 calories over for those days. and for days off where I sit around and rest, I want to be 200-300 calories below that number....Admittedly, I am still trying to work it out. I follow a lot of weight watchers "rules" for intake v expenditure.

But certainly, 1200 calories/day is not enough for that sort of physical work.

PS: I've been consistently "over" my stated goal this last week and still lost a pound.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    my advice is totally to read up on nutrition and learn enough to understand it in a way that you can figure out what your body needs for the activites you do! Learning how will help you help yourself constantly in the future! :D
  • jalisasaunders5
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Thanks guys for your stories and advice!

It's been so frustrating setting goals for myself that are so hard to maintain. As far as nutrition goes, I have started food prepping and for the most part I get a ton of veggies everyday; at least one serving of fruit and healthy (vegetarian) proteins. I also allow some room for at least one treat a day. Baconist, I've noticed on days where I don't work and just laze around I am fine with a lower calorie intake... but on the days I work it has been impossible, and from the feedback im getting it seems to be unhealthy to try to stick to 1200 cals so... I will also start to fluctuate my daily calorie intake depending on what I am doing.

• socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Listen to your body. If you are consistently hungry on days you are working, up your calories for those days. Start with another increase of 100 - 150 and try that for a week. Still hungry? Go up another 100.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1
  • pikselinka
    pikselinka Posts: 154 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I work as a packer as well. I eat 1800-2200 on days I want to lose, and up to 3500 when I maintain. You can add me or see my diary it's open.

BTW We're in pretty similar situation even weight-wise, wanna buddy?
  • jalisasaunders5
    Options
    Hey mypi...how do you know how many calories you burn at work? pedometer?