Introduction:

Options
So here I am at 33 years of age willing to seek help losing my extra weight.

When I was 29 after 6 years working as a paramedic I suffered a catastrophic on the job back injury while carrying a patient down several flights of stairs. I had injured my spinal cord to the degree to where I was hospitalized bed bound put on IV steroid treatment and told I may never walk again. I thought my life was over, and in some ways it was. As time went on I watched the steroids and other medications along with lack of mobility transform my body from 190lbs to close to 300lbs. This was very hard for me to witness. It to me was the death of my career my body and looks and my independence. The steroids and several other medical procedures did eventually work and I beat the odds and started walking. At first I was using a walker and could only go short flat distances then I graduated to a cain and started to try to re-enter the world. I fell a lot and was often discouraged I was angry and depressed and would drink excessively (which certainly added to the amount of falling I did). I am lucky that I had friends and family rallied behind me to keep going. After about two years I was walking without assistance off the heavy steroids and the weight started to fall off me down to about 230lbs. I rescued a dog who also has a spinal injury and together we are both able to walk countless miles (if need be) through walking and playing both our lives improved. Over the next year I dropped another 15-20lbs leaving me only about 20lbs heavier than when this all began, which is still a significant amount of weight to lose, but looking back to how big I got I feel much more normal when I look at myself and am able to wear my old uniform and suits.

So back to the present, four years and constant ups and downs later. I am now 215lbs and would like to lose 15-20lbs. I may never be able to return to emergency services and I will always bare the scars of what happened to me but I am optimistic and ready to live my life to the fullest. I am no longer to proud to ask for help and have accepted who I am. I look forward to giving this online weight control community a go and would love to hear from others about their experience here.

If you read this I thank you and please reach out if inclined.

Sincerely,
Kyle-

Replies