How do stop losing weight

Options
I'm almost at my goal weight (only about 6 pounds left). When I'm done I'm going to switch my settings to maintain weight. Any tips on how to get to a good level of maintaing opposed to losing?

Replies

• MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Eat enough calories. I'd just increase by a couple hundred each week until you are maintaining. (MFP should already be increasing your calorie goal as you lose weight)
  • samammay
    samammay Posts: 468
    Options
    Set MFP to maintain. Keep logging. If in a few weeks you are still losing or gaining, adjust it manually 100 calories every other week or so in the right direction until you level out.

And congrats on nearly reaching your goal!
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Overshoot your goal weight by about five pounds (to account for glycogen/water replenishment) , then add in calories. If you stay away from junk binges you'll be pleasantly surprised how well your appetite will correctly gauge the number of calories you need.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    +1 - all of the above

Eat more bacon and peanut butter B)

Seriously though, increase your calories in steps so you can figure out what your daily intake should be. If I have a hard time eating all the calories, I just eat more luxuriously or more of the foods that did me in before like double thick bacon, rib-eye steak, baked potato with real butter, chicken wings, etc.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    time to start reverse dieting...I did this 5lbs from goal (this summer) I added 50 calories a day each week until I hit goal weight then started eating at "maitenance" which I thought was 2k and gave my body the summer to even out...so 6-8 weeks to stablize on 2k...

If you don't "maintain" your weight (and most give themselves a range) tweak as necessary but give yourself time to stablize on the new calorie amount as you could gain due to water/glycogen stores or continue to lose if you aren't eating enough at which time you keep adding in calories...until you do maintain.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    gregpack wrote: »
    Overshoot your goal weight by about five pounds (to account for glycogen/water replenishment) , then add in calories. If you stay away from junk binges you'll be pleasantly surprised how well your appetite will correctly gauge the number of calories you need.

Definitely agree with this. Your weight will fluctuate naturally by a few pounds so when you first see your target weight on the scale you are likely at the low end of the range of fluctuation. If you overshoot by a couple pounds when you start eating more normally your weight will likely spike a couple pounds due to increases in water, food weight, etc so you will get a truer picture at that point what your weight really is.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Set MFP to maintaining and start there. You may find that you still continue to lose, or you may find that you gain a bit. You might have to play with your maintenance calories for a while. Small gains will happen in the beginning. Don't panic over them. Don't panic if you continue losing, either (just up your calories by 50-100).
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Set MFP to maintaining and start there. You may find that you still continue to lose, or you may find that you gain a bit. You might have to play with your maintenance calories for a while. Small gains will happen in the beginning. Don't panic over them. Don't panic if you continue losing, either (just up your calories by 50-100).

This is what I'm doing too. I've set MFP to maintain and rounded the cals up to 1700. It seems as good a place to start as any. I've lost another pound so far since TOM, but as long as I don't lose any more until next TOM I'm cool with that.
  • alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I added about 200 calories every 3-4 weeks and kept an eye on the mirror and the scale. It worked for me.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I overshot my goal, and then the weight loss just...stopped.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    When I started maintaining, I also had trouble not continuing to lose weight. I just kept increasing my calories bit by bit until my weight stabilized.