Need help finding a workout or just a form of exercise that i will actually do :S

Options
So i've been exploring the world of exercising for a bit now and can't seem to find something that ill actually want to do.

So far:
Zumba - same routine, same songs over and over again for weeks. i started hating it and whitney houston.
Bikram Yoga - enjoyed it but way way way to expensive for my student wallet
Gym - monotonous, even with switching things up and trying my best to make it exciting i started to see it as a chore and dread going.
Pilates + reformers pilates - fine, okay. but again monotonous and boring.
Turbofire - great at first but the woman's voice was doing my head in.
Brazil Butt lift - okay but again that whole fitness instructor perky voice was doing my head it.
running - never got into it. tried couch to 5K. made it to week 7 and yes i was doing well but i hated every bit of it

that's all i've tried so far. Looking for more suggestions on something fun, not boring and of course packs a punch.

thank you for your help! x

Replies

• samammay
    samammay Posts: 468
    Options
    If you want results you will push through. Its really as simple as that. Gym - a chore. Yep. Sure is. But sure feels good and looks good afterwards.

Im sure there are many things you do in life that are a chore and you do just because they need doing.

Have you tried Crossfit?
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I don't know what Zumba class you're going to, but my instructor changes it up every week and has a ton of songs they rotate through. See if yours can do the same.

All workouts may get "boring", as you get into a pattern. You just need to push through it, even when you don't want to go. Getting in shape isn't always easy or "fun", and you have to be able to motivate yourself.
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    What worked for me was somehow shifting my mental state from, "I hate doing this, and I'm not going to do it anymore" to, "I hate doing this, therefore I shall do it so that I can prove that I can." I began to relish in the completion of something hard and seemingly boring. It made me feel good to prove myself capable.

That got me through c25k and through a year+ of functional fitness classes despite the first day being a torturous class where we just ran up and down stairs for the entire time.

That said, maybe that won't work for you. I will say that Martial Arts is the most fun I have in classes.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I can't do the same DVD day in and day out. Why don't you create a "rotation" of sorts with your DVDs......then sprinkle in some new ones from time to time.

Exercise is good for fitness.....cardio (zumba, TF)....strength (BBL or pilates).....flexibility (yoga).

If exercise is a chore....so be it. Going to the doctor is a chore also. But, I bet if you look hard enough you're going to find something you don't dislike.

I like rebounding for cardio.....mini-trampoline, and Kelly Coffey Meyer DVDs for strength training. Her personality isn't perky, or bad*ss....she's just herself. Cathe Friedrich is another instructor with a good (not over the top) personality....lots of tough workouts from her.

http://www.collagevideo.com/collections/kelly-coffey-meyer

http://www.collagevideo.com/collections/cathe-friedrich
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Pole dancing. So much fun and gave me the arms, belly, back I'm proud of. Also, yes its work and sometimes just not fun - but you do it anyway if you want the prize. Maybe all the things you've "tried" each a different day of the week, then nothing is back to back. Look up hiit workouts like bodyrock, they post something new every day and the workouts are shorter so maybe can keep your attention.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Cant you find a sport or activity that involves movement? In terms of cardio that cna be just as good for calorie burning.
  • sylviedrozz
    Options
    fact of the matter is i'm in uni right now and as much as i want to be in shape i'd rather be obese and graduating with highest honours rather than thin and graduating with a mediocre grade. I want to get healthier and thinner but it's not number 1 on my priority list. it's number two. studying everyday and going over the same *kitten* every single day is enough of a chore but i do it because my degree is number 1. i don't want my workout to be a chore because then ill feel like i'm wasting time that i could be using to study.

I'm not looking for just results, if i was i would've stuck with the gym, zumba etc. which did give me results but i'm looking for something i can incorporate into my weekly routine that i won't mind doing for years to maintain my health and figure.

Ill give your suggestions a shot guys, especially jennloella's pole dancing suggestion. sounds wicked :D
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Your brain works better when your body is trained well. It's also not a if else situation, anyone that will come close to graduating with high honors KNOWS that.

You will need to find out what you like. For me, I want to rock climb and alpine climb better. Therefore I need to run, swim, lift weights. You'll find what you want, and you will commit, or you want.

There's no silver bullet without commitment and motivation.
  • leaner426
    Options
    Switching up helps. Picking a minimum routine that is "medicine" you have to do can help. In my town there is a dance studio that gives free dance classes on Friday nights followed by a dance party. Activities like that can help too.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    You are a student. Are there any intra-mural sports? They are free, the level of competitiveness usually not crazy, and something should appeal to you. At one end is rugby, at the other Ultimate.

Tennis, handball, cycling, hiking, kayaking? The school probably has a few things going.
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Or a dance class or swimming or? What does your University or community offer? What do you enjoy doing? Pick something and go for it.
  • sylviedrozz
    Options
    i've signed up for the university's swing, tango and ballroom class. hopefully ill like one of them! i definitely want to try rock climbing too!

thanks everyone! :)
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    I could probably recommend loads of things, but then again it could be (and I quote you) the same routine, monotonous, doing my head in (the woman's voice was doing my head in.... fitness instructor perky voice - really??).... given that the amount of excuses you are using.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest joining a Planet Fitness and trying absolutely every form of cardio they offer. At USD 10 a month, it's the cheap option to find out what you really like.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I think that's a fair idea, actually.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,657 Member
    Options
    I do an hour on the elliptical most days, and just zone out watching TV on a tablet. I don't watch TV otherwise, so it is a sort of treat.

Activities that could be fun in themselves are rock climbing, playing the drums, skating, hiking.
  • sylviedrozz
    Options
    i like the planet fitness idea too but i'm the UK so can't :(
    thanks for all the suggestions guys x
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Swimming?

If you absolutely must be distracted from the fact you are exercising, it's probably not for you. But if you're a water baby (I am) it's amazing. You forget you're exercising after a while and the pool is your best time to think.