Is there anyone to work out exercise (calories burned) on strength?

Options
Hello All :smiley:,

I started doing 5x5 strength workout around 3 weeks ago, and i'm adding the strength exercises, sets, reps and weight to MFP.

But MFP does not give you any exercise for these activities, so I was wondering if there was anyway to get an estimate of the kind of thing these exercises are doing?

Thanks for any help.

Replies

• rhondaann0416
    rhondaann0416 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I wondered the same thing. I worry about getting my cardio and skip weights. I know that I need both.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    To get an estimate log it under cardio /choose strength training. These are really hard to estimate.

• DragonShoe_GCole
    DragonShoe_GCole Posts: 138 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I take it you're asking if there is anyway to add/edit calories burned from strength training exercises that you add to your "dairy?"

No offense, but your OP kind of sucks if this is what you are trying to ask..
  • catchthecarp
    Options
    I bought a Polar HRM ($50) that also measures calories burned. I have no idea how accurate it is, though.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    3listone wrote: »

I started doing 5x5 strength workout around 3 weeks ago, and i'm adding the strength exercises, sets, reps and weight to MFP.

But MFP does not give you any exercise for these activities, so I was wondering if there was anyway to get an estimate of the kind of thing these exercises are doing?

Thanks for any help.

MFP only gives you calories burned for cardiovascular exercise. There's really no way to estimate calories burned for strength training, since a HRM cannot accurately track you while you are lifting/doing strength training. You need steady cardio for that.

Most of my friends log it at 1 calorie per workout, just so they can keep track of their weekly workouts.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I take it you're asking if there is anyway to add/edit calories burned from strength training exercises that you add to your "dairy?"

No offense, but your OP kind of sucks if this is what you are trying to ask..

Your post is incredibly rude and confrontational. The OP was trying to figure out if it could be tracked in regards to calories burned. There was no need for the wording you chose.
  • samammay
    samammay Posts: 468
    Options
    I do 5x5 and log about 150 calories per workout (at 6' M 222lbs)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    3listone wrote: »

Thanks for any help.

1 calorie per hour is the amount i use.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    In reality, if you are going to strength train, you really have to be diligent in tracking what you eat and your workouts just to get an estimate of what you are burning while lifting. Or....do as the others have stated. Do your workout log 1 calorie (or even what MFP gives you for strength training in the cardio section) and move on. I just input the time I worked out and MFP gives me 178 or something like that for an hour I think. I don't eat them back anyway so it is of zero importance on the number it gives me.

ETA: Inevitably, someone will come into this thread and tell you to use an HRM or that they use an HRM while strength training to determine their calorie burn. Just know moving forward that those people are wrong as an HRM is not designed for calorie burn estimates during strength training.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    It's really hard to estimate and even HRM's can be inaccurate by as much as 25%, I would suggest that you don't worry about it.