Protien shakes or bars good or bad?

Options
I just currently started working out hard core I try to do it for 3 to 4 hrs before work but I'm just curious about protien shakes and protien bars. I have googled both and I read where one person ate and drank nothing but protien shakes...which I know that can't be good. I'm trying to lose 130 lbs by October which I know is a lot in 5 months but I'm just trying to get as close as possible Any advise on what's the best thing for me or any plans that work for you?

Replies

• mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, there's not really a point in it unless you are trying to body build. You can get your protein and such through your diet just as easy. It's just knowing what foods to eat after your workout.

Like me, PB and Banana sandwich with some chocolate milk. Good enough for me if I'm not trying to gain mass.
  • TAErvin
    TAErvin Posts: 8
    Options
    I like the shakes because of convience and they taste better than the bars. I drink a shake after my workout with my trainer, it helps my muscles recover from my workout. :smile:
  • miwakokeitaro
    Options
    i love bars and shakes and ive never heard about them being bad for your health. As far as im concerned they have alot of nutrients that your body needs and they are healthy and tasty. So if i ate only diet bars and shakes all day everyday i dont think anything bad would happen. Except i heard it gives some people gas or make them go to the restroom alot. It doesnt do that to me. I would do it. They are quite expensive though
  • FitToFab
    FitToFab Posts: 47
    Options
    If the bars are low sugar ill eat 1 as a snack once in a while. I started using a rice protein powder for after my workouts, no gmo or soy!!!
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I just currently started working out hard core I try to do it for 3 to 4 hrs before work but I'm just curious about protien shakes and protien bars. I have googled both and I read where one person ate and drank nothing but protien shakes...which I know that can't be good. I'm trying to lose 130 lbs by October which I know is a lot in 5 months but I'm just trying to get as close as possible Any advise on what's the best thing for me or any plans that work for you?
    you want to lose 130 pounds in 5 months thats 26 pds a month thats quite a bit good luck
  • ajfoer
    ajfoer Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Chef Jay (brand) makes some amazing bars. I love the tri-o-plex cookies and brownies. I just ordered the lower sugar cookies to see how they are. I also drink shakes. Taste is definitely a PERSONAL preference. There are shakes I LOVE that my husband absolutely hates and vise versa. I prefer spiru-tein soy protein while my husband prefers Muscle milk. I actually know a lot of people who love Muscle Milk. I really love the chocolate flavor but I'm on a soy kick right now. lol lol

Bars are great for convenience. I also keep a very small container (holds 1 or 2 scoops) just in case I want to bring powder with me to make a shake for later.

I do have to say, READ the ingredients. As an example, Snickers makes a protein bar and WOW is it horrible for you!!!

Good luck finding your preference :)
  • drea0087
    drea0087 Posts: 11
    Options
    Natural sources of nutrients are better than these manufactured ones but one thing great about them is convenience. I'd advice to only consume them as last resort if there's nothing else around to eat. A lot of people now are on a "If you can't catch it or grow it, don't eat it!" craze which I think is a good approach to eating on most days.
  • aanddplusoanda
    aanddplusoanda Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I personally don't eat a lot of meat and I try not to eat a lot of sugar so I will occasionally eat a protien bar that is really low in sugar. I do know that you are not supposed to use them as a meal replacement though and really read the labels. Some have a warning on them for certain side effects if you consume too much of it.
  • CenlaCoach
    Options
    I use both protein shakes and bars for convenience. You have to be careful with the bars especially as there are a lot on the market that are little more than glorified candy bars. Plus I find it cheaper to use protein shakes and bars as snacks than chicken and other sources. I also use something called Shakeology along with my regular protein powder because of its complete nutrition and 70 whole food ingredients. You can read more about it at.... myshakeology.com.

I hope this helps
    Patrick