When 1800 calories just isn't enough.

Options
2»

Replies

• Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Sorry I don't' have any real solutions except for this.
    Try eating more fiber.. they have protien bars and bread that is high in fiber.. alot of people believe that fiber will make you feel full.
    the other thing that you can do, is make some veggies for your self ( Zucchini, Eggplant, mushrooms, Onions and saute them) they have little to no calories. 3 cups of zucchini is 25 calories ( don't' quote me). start having that as a snack.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    thats because ive given up
    the suggestions on bulking up foods wont work cause i dont like onions, mushrooms, peppers, spinnich, Etc, and the only thing i like in salads are lettuce, carrots and cheese.
    so basically, i fail.
    i dont like peanutbutter either.
    Ive been going to the diabetic clinic for years, if they were the type to actually sit down and discuss my needs on an individual basis, id probably not be struggling, but they dont, they basically leave it up to you and tell you half a plate of veg, 1/4 plate of meat, 1/4 plate of starch. so.. yeah. woohoo.
    anyway.. thanks anyways.
    goodnight

Then you keep shopping around for a new dietician/nutritionist until you find someone who can help you.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Sorry havent looked up the nutrition regimen fro a diabetic, but cant your Dr refer you to a nutritionist an they cna advise you on what you can eat in light of your condition? Its a shame you deleted your diary because it gives an idea of what you are eating and can be helpful.

Part of why you are hungry will be to do with your choice of foods. Looks like they just recommend more fruit and veg, lean meat, which is similar to MFP

Here are 2 methods by the Diabetes Society of America
    Carbohydrate counting
    http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/understanding-carbohydrates/carbohydrate-counting.html

Creating your plate
    http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/planning-meals/create-your-plate/

Lots of good information on the Joslin Diabetes centre, doesnt seem your diet has to change that much just me mindful of your blood sugar.
    https://www.joslin.org/info/Diet_and_Nutrition.html

If its not the type of food that you feel you can change, then hows the exercise going because that can be a source of extra calories you can eat back even if you start small.

How much weight is 1800 calories projected to lose for you? Better to lose .5lb a week than nothing. You need to start logging again becayse that gives you and other an idea of whats being consumed and then you can plan from there. Maybe look if theres a group for people with diabetes or people who arent full on 1800 calories or start one? Chin up, people before you have trodden this path so its possible and theres no reason why you cant do it.
  • acannon92
    acannon92 Posts: 4 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    You shouldn't feel stupid at all, but you should have a bit more of an open mind. No diet is going to work for everyone. You are doing a LOT right, especially in comparison to your old diet. That doesn't mean what you're doing is working for you. Obviously it's not, because you're always hungry! You can lose weight and not live like that.

What you are doing now isn't working for you. That doesn't mean you're doing something wrong!

Edit:
    thats because ive given up

Well, never mind then. I really hope you come back when you're feeling up to it again. You have it within your power to change your life. But only you can do it. Good luck!

• sylviedrozz
    Options
    it does start like that but once your stomach starts to shrink it'll get easier :) takes time that's all x
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    So according to your blog, you've been at this for about 2 weeks... and you're already ready to throw in the towel and say that weight loss and eating properly isn't for you?

I'm sorry, but you're copping out. Where's the hard work and effort? Where's the patience? Where's the trying new stuff to see what works for you?

Maybe this sounds harsh, I don't know, but before you go around feeling sorry for yourself, you should put in more effort and work hard for your goals. Right now it sounds like a bunch of excuses and whining to me.

Could you do better on carbs? Sure. Could you try more variety of foods? Sure. Could you try adding in snacks before/after meals? Sure. Point being, there's a ton of things you can try before throwing in the towel.

Giving up will definitely help you reach your goals.... said no one, ever. Saying you give up healthy eating and losing weight is premature, IMO.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    acannon92 wrote: »
    You shouldn't feel stupid at all, but you should have a bit more of an open mind. No diet is going to work for everyone. You are doing a LOT right, especially in comparison to your old diet. That doesn't mean what you're doing is working for you. Obviously it's not, because you're always hungry! You can lose weight and not live like that.

What you are doing now isn't working for you. That doesn't mean you're doing something wrong!

Fact. This is why I'm trying to drill home finding a professional to help. A family member of mine is 100% insulin free since diagnosis years and years ago because they control their carb intake and watch what they eat. That's not a guarantee for everyone, but it is absolutely vital to know how certain foods will affect your body, how you can be "full" and still meet your carb goals, and figure out what will work for you. If you aren't watching what you're eating to a T, insulin usage can become a huge pain.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    So.. basically what im reading it...
    a small tortilla, 2 slices of bread and a cupcake no bigger then my mouth, is too many carbs, and i should cut that back...
    yet, the rule most people go by on other posts is, if it fits into your macros, you can have it...
    i used to eat 300-400 carbs per day.. i thought i was doing something right. it seems like even well intentioned attempts are wrong.
    how depressing.
    thanks everyone for the advice.
    i guess weight loss and eating properly just isnt for me.

People are just trying to give you some ideas, that's no reason to give up.

Where did you come up with the 1800 cal goal? Maybe you are trying to lose weight too quickly and should raise your calories a little so you are more comfortable. If that number is for 2 lbs per week, better to raise your calories and lose 1 lb per week than to throw up your hands and regress.

Everyone is different, we each have to play around with the numbers and the macros to find what works best and makes us feel the best.

Edited to add: Wait. You give up!? After two weeks and this forum post? Wow, okay. It took me a couple of months to really find what foods worked for me and I only had 15 lbs to lose and no health issues to factor in. But giving up is another way to go...
  • DaivaSimone
    DaivaSimone Posts: 657 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I have almost the same stats as you (29 years old, 5'4, 248 lbs now but started this at 279), and I am set to lose 1.5 pounds by week. My activity level is set to lightly active because I walk a lot (to the subway, to make all my errands, etc.), I use my bike to commute at least once a week and I love riding otherwise, so I can clock between 50 to 150 km on my bike in a week. So, MFP sets my calorie goal to 1900 cals a day, and it's pretty manageable.

Before, when I was set on sedentary (because I do have a desk job, so I tought it was the right setting for me, but it was not), I was on 1680 cals a day to lose the same amout of weight. I rounded it to 1750 because I found it hard, and I was always hungry.

I don't really believe in the "too much carbs" moto, because I love my carbs too, but you can try to eat carbs with a lower glycemic index, they are usually full of fibers and it helps to feel full. There's nothing wrong with eating an whole wheat tortilla, but have you ever tried one made with sprouted grains instead? Or a slice of any sprouted grain bread that you can buy at any good bakery? You can also ditch the precooked bacon and eat some leftover meat from your dinner instead (chicken, roasted pork, steak... basically anything can be good and you will have a lot more nutrients for less calorie). You can also add egg whites to your scramble for more proteins.

For your lunch sandwich, I would also ditch the cold cuts (they are convenient and I also love them, but they are not the best choice in terms of nutrient... plus they pack a lot of sodium) and again I would go with "real" meat, again planned leftover are a good idea here: pork roast, roastbeef, chicken breast or turkey breast, even cooked salmon or trout (with some mayonnaise and dill and lemon juice, it makes a fantastic sandwich), with some cheese and good whole wheat bread.

For your dinner, I suggest you to try sweet potato or brown rice instead of potato, because more fiber = being fuller.

One thing that helps me a lot when I'm feeling hungry is to increase my fat intake. 45 grams of avocado added to your sandwich will pack more calorie and more fat, but trust me, you will feel better and won't crash three hours later.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you want some ideas to play with you 1800, my diary is open and I am a pretty good girl from monday to friday. After that, I manage to eat what I love to eat, but I ride a lot to make it fit! ;)
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Welcome to Team NeverFull

Yeah. I just try to get used to it. Followed by periods of bingeing and failure...
  • getfit4kidd
    getfit4kidd Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Well, none of us can help you if you don't want to hear it. I used to eat like you. It's taken me over 10 years to get to the point that I understand what my body needs by making small changes. Really we were all trying to help. Food is just fuel but I would think saving your own life means more.
  • Elandri
    Elandri Posts: 16 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    veggies do not count as carbs when it comes to diabetes because the fiber in the veggies is high enough that they dont matter

Actually, you subtract the fiber count from the carb to get your net carbs. Veggies still count as carbs. Veggies are definitely not free carb foods. Some have more carbs than fiber, like potatoes. So you need to be careful.

Like today I had 348g of broccoli, says it had 16 carbs and 8 fiber. That means I had 8 carbs worth of broccoli.

Overall the advice others gave with adding lower calorie options that have more volume to it may help a lot. I eat 1400-1600 a day, started off at 1200 but found that was too low but it did help jump start my new lifestyle and helped me kick old habits.

Experiment with wwhatthe others suggested. Carbs creep up on you fast, I know. I also was diagnosed with diabetes a couple months ago. I do have days I probably eat too many myself, but I try to keep a meal below 45 carbs. Most my meals are under 20 though.

• TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I was prescribed a phenemine topomax combination, but I don't take it. I can barely take in 1800 calories now that I am working out for 1 hour and 1/2, drinking lots of water and eating so much protein. If I wasn't working out everyday, I would probably be hungry, though.
  • andeey
    andeey Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Breakfast

Try some cottage cheese with "mix-ins" (crushed pineapple, avocado, black pepper, berries, pomegranate seeds, etc. are all good choices). You can have two servings (226g) for 220 calories and it has loads of protein, lowish carbs, lowish fat and is extremely filling. You can also make pumpkin protein pancakes and three of those will balance protein/carbs for a good breakfast on the run (you make a large batch, weigh, freeze, and zap in the micro before work). For eggs, try using egg whites mixed with regular eggs. You can eat way more for less calories, but you still get the protein. Six tablespoons of liquid egg whites, plus two eggs, a handful of spinach, and melt a small amount of shredded cheese. You can add in some turkey sausage if you want meat.

Lunch/Dinner

Pork and green chili stew (http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/10/slow-cooker-pork-and-green-chile-stew.html). You can make a crockpot full, weigh out portions, freeze, and heat and eat for lunch/dinner. Super tasty and filling and you can serve alone or add rice/noodles if you like. Taco meat - brown up 1/2 lean turkey, 1/2 lean beef, add taco seasoning and it's a great base. You can make tacos (mission makes white corn tortillas - 3 for ~100 calories) or make a taco salad with a bed of lettuce and add avocado and a bit of cheese.

One of the best pieces of advice is to try and pre-plan meals, make sure they have a lot of flavor, and don't repeat the same things every day. Go for volume, flavor, and nutrient dense foods. If you want recipes for any of the other things I've mentioned, message me and I'll be happy to help.

• slvrsrfr
    slvrsrfr Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Just eyeballin', but that looks like way less than 1800 calories for the day.

Me thinks you need to accurately weight and measure everything. Unless you're pouring on the oil, I don't see how that's 1800 cals.
  • alyssareyans
    alyssareyans Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    When I first started trying to lose weight, I was just like you. I always felt hungry, but I'd just drink water to try to fill up. I'm an emotional eater. My feeling of "hungry" was much more emotional and psychological than it was due to actual hunger. I learned to just be strong and eat what I was suppose to eat and nothing more. It took a long time but now I know when I feel hungry I'm actually hungry and it's not just a psychological thing.

Try to stay strong and eat only the amount you're suppose to. There are a lot of foods out there that are low calorie where you can eat more of. Try to eat more of those foods. I also found that eating things like grapes helped to curb my psychological hunger. It replaced things like chips or nuts that I use to eat tons of. Popcorn is another thing I eat in between meals. By eating airpopped popcorn I can have four cups and feel super full.

I know it's difficult but be patient. The feeling does pass.
  • Ludka13
    Ludka13 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I get 1300 calories a day to lose half a pound a week. 1800 would be a pig out for me. I eat more protein, leaner protein, fewer carbs, low GI, lots more veggies, more fiber. It takes a few weeks for your stomach to shrink and to find ways to trim calories from your diet. Also to figure out where those empty non-satisfying calories are.
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    So.. basically what im reading it...
    a small tortilla, 2 slices of bread and a cupcake no bigger then my mouth, is too many carbs, and i should cut that back...
    yet, the rule most people go by on other posts is, if it fits into your macros, you can have it...
    i used to eat 300-400 carbs per day.. i thought i was doing something right. it seems like even well intentioned attempts are wrong.
    how depressing.
    thanks everyone for the advice.
    i guess weight loss and eating properly just isnt for me.

I am sorry you are struggling, this weight loss thing is tough, that's why there are soo many sites and so many really strong opinions from those people who have had success or failures. All you can really continue to do is modify your diet until you find what works for you.

As far as the carbs, and as a diabetic you must know it's not just bread, but also potatoes, milk and certain vegetables (even with their high fiber content), which will spike your blood sugar, causing increased hunger when you are in the down spiral. I strongly suggest you look into a low carb approach. Cut them out for 2 weeks (you've already had 2 tough weeks, what is 2 more?) and see if your weight loss starts again. Even more important, pay attention to how you feel and how your blood sugar reacts.

You really have to give it time to see what really works and what doesn't. I wish you luck.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Disappointing to see you have given up when people are trying to help you.
    There are some people on the achievements section who have lost incredible amounts of weight over sustained periods becayse they didnt give up but kept going.

All you need to do is find the right knowledge and them implement it. From what I saw the diabetic diet isnt that much different. I'd suggest reading up on the subject and fully understanding the implications as the information is there.