OA

Options
Recently i have been looking into OA - Over eaters Anonymous.
Even thought Ive lost weight, work out regularly and generally am at a good point.. I struggle with food obsession. As someone who has OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) Im really not surprised. I think I trade one obsession for another after a while..

Anyway - I have been looking into OA lately and while talking to a 'sponsor' I was shocked at the meal plan..

BREAKFAST
1 protein
1 fruit
1 tsp. butter, margarine or oil
LUNCH
1 protein
1 vegetable
3 pieces of raw vegetables or 1 cup of salad/vegetable
DINNER
1 protein
1 vegetable
2 cups salad
2 Tablespoons of salad dressing

This doesn't look like enough to sustain my 4-5 workouts a week (mixture of cardio/running/lifting/spinning/etc)

As well, they are totally against 'whites' (sugar/flour). There goes my 'everything in moderation motto" =(

Wondering what you all think?

Replies

• cathleenbowman
    Options
    My doctor told me to cut out that stuff too. No breads, potatoes, rice, those sorts of things...that being said it sounds like you are pretty active and the more active life styles tend to need more energy to help the body repair muscles from those work outs....I am a lot less active, due to medical conditions, and he told me I need to get at least 1300 calories a day. I would only assume that you would require more.....if you can get that from the above menu great but I doubt it....you may need to eat more than 1 serving...consult your physician before starting that diet.....You will only put weight on if you put your body in starvation mode. Good luck! :)
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I think OA is not for everyone. You need to decide this for yourself. Can you not just adopt some of the thoughts on eating, and keep your normal meal plan? It sounds like you already have things under control, besides your obsession over food.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    ...In fact, remember "moderation". Take the information from OA that is helpful, and leave the rest! You dont need to dive right into everything they tell you.
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    When I went to some OA meetings, they did not set up a meal plan for members. Each member got their own meal plan from a doctor or dietician. The sponsor was there to help make sure you followed your plan and was someone to call on when things weren't going well. I went to several meeting for support, but never got a sponsor. I really enjoyed it & am thinking of going back.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I think that if you want to give it a shot, you should follow the plan. The Anonymous groups do help a lot of people who thought they were beyond help.

If you dismiss everything that seems like it will be hard, you'll never succeed.

It might not be for you, though. You can't know until you try, but whether you want to try that plan is up to you.

I think the hardest part is deciding what you are going to do. Once you do that, it gets easier. :)
  • VanillaBeanSeed
    VanillaBeanSeed Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Im really on the edge about it.

I feel it has way to much to do with religion and not enough about actual facts/tools to help me with my craving/obsession.... hmm.. still deciding.
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I am a member of OA in my country.

OA is not meant to give it out meal plans, it's against the rules.

What I've done is buy groceries by bulk and set aside one afternoon to plan, measure, prepare and freeze. You can even pre-log them, Pinterest has a ton of ideas.

I know you have OCD, thus having this balance and organizing once a week will leave no room for temptations or a binge, plus save you a couple of bucks. You can even make a week plan for all meals and have them ready to go.

Don't beat yourself up and have a couple of items properly labeled as emergency treats or even, a cheat day.

Feel free to add me, we can talk later on :)