students--how do you do it? help!

Options
It's two weeks until the end of the semester, and my food diary goes something like this: pasta, beer, pasta, dr. pepper (x2), beer, pasta, NUTELLA NUTELLA NUTELLA. Am I the only one who goes carb/sugar crazy whenever a paper deadline approaches? Starting to think I shouldn't even bother logging my calories until mid-May when this is all over!

Replies

• squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    haha I used to do that too. I was kind of in the mindset that in order to keep myself sane, I needed to eat comfort foods/fun foods/etc. but ultimately it probably added to my stress, since I'd be thinking "oh dammit, now I'm going to be stressed AND fat."

my suggestion - get stuff to mindlessly "binge" on that's HEALTHY - grapes, blueberries, some whole wheat crackers, flavored seltzer vs. sodas... that way if/when you stuff your face you're at least being "good" about it.

BUT I feel your pain :) good luck
  • skinnyhopes
    skinnyhopes Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    don't worry. if it helps i ate 4000 calories the week before a 15 pg paper was due.
    just try to eat more healthy foods.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    its about self control..if you cant deal with eating healthy at school, wait till real life..the time to start is now. it only gets worse. wait till you have a mortgage to pay and family who relies upon you.
  • mapplem2
    mapplem2 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm not currently in school but I know what you mean, finals weeks were always the worst for me... living in the library eating whatever I could sneak in (aka processed carbs, sugar, and energy drinks). I think investing in some healthy snacks is probably your best option reduced fat string cheese, fruit and veggies (cut up and put in baggies). Whatever is easiest but won't destroy your diet. Even if it is easiest to eat crap I would say definitely keep logging, it helps keep you conscious and accountable for what you're eating. Oh and walk everywhere! Good luck w. school and staying on track! :)
  • 7YRJustin
    Options
    we all get those super stress cravings, but a simple alternative for things will work perfectly fine...alternating a calorie free soda instead of the Dr. Pepper for example, and having the willpower (i know it's hard) to turn down the beer, and only have a little bit of nutella. Sometimes just the taste is really all you need.
  • AlexandraR2011
    AlexandraR2011 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    ugh I'm in the same boat as you... Basically it's been anything thats closest and I havent had time to work out :/ thank goodness i'm on my last assignment for the semester. Hang in there! Drink water :)
  • carro585
    carro585 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice and encouragement all. I'm going out tomorrow to buy a BIG bag of grapes. (We'll see how long they last...) Good luck to all the students during finals!
  • jen2bhottie
    jen2bhottie Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm a 35 yr. old, overweight college student---->translation----> the fat, old lady who always has pencils and class notes you can borrow. lol Anyway, I'm actually having kinda the same problem as far as stressing over submitting final papers and then studying for exams....but I've been studying so much, I forget to eat, then I get a headache and feel too bad to eat. Hopefully a couple more days and it will all be over,