I'll start tomorrow...

Options
That's my famous saying (I'm sure I'm not the only one). I say this, and have all these good intentions, that often come crashing down the next day, only to have me say "I'll start again tomorrow..."

Please please give me some words of wisdom to STOP doing this! I know I am saying it now and have all those good intentions right now. But I fear tomorrow!! I have obviously had some weight loss success so it doesn't always happen, but I dont want to wait for a big/depressing ah-ha moment. I just want to do it!

Replies

• Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    MonaRN81 wrote: »
    I just want to do it!

Obviously you don't want it enough. Because if you really wanted it, you would find a way to do it.

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Start by just logging all your food. Weigh it, log it. After a week, look over your diaries and see what changes you are working towards.
    Small steps, get to know your habits and needs. Keep your weekly weight loss goal reasonable (1 lb/week) so that you can work towards a sustainable lifestyle.
    You can do this.
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I start RIGHT NOW. If it is tomorrow you fear, work on today
  • MonaRN81
    MonaRN81 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement PaytraB and MamaRiss! And i'm totally in the "right now" mood at the moment. I have alot of stress in my life that leads me to the "tomorrow" thinking. For some reason food is my first reaction to stress. And when I think "tomorrow" in my mind I am sincere, just keep pushing it back.

I just have to keep saying "no, right now, right now, right now!"

Thanks!
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I started today.
  • ebbiewilliams9
    ebbiewilliams9 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    tomorrow never happens. You have only ever experienced NOW and will live there forever. I believe in you.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gDJnbV6fas
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    When you say "I'll start again tomorrow", when tomorrow comes, remind yourself that today is yesterday's tomorrow.

• sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Don't do tomorrow what can be done today, for you never know if tomorrow will ever come
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    sentaruu wrote: »
    Don't do tomorrow what can be done today, for you never know if tomorrow will ever come

That's just dark, bro. :(
  • MonaRN81
    Options
    You guys are pumping me up! Thanks!!! I'm trying to prepare myself for when I try to delay. Giving myself counter arguments if you will. I'm going to come back and read this thread to help.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    The time is going to pass whether you start or not. So why not start, and make some awesome changes while that time passes? Three months from now, do you want to look back and be amazed with the progress you've made, or do you want to look back and say "man I wish I had started getting fit by now"? For New Year's, do you want to be able to buy a new dress that you feel amazing in? For your next birthday, do you want to feel proud of how you've improved your health and taken the opportunity to care for yourself?

Future You is either going to be proud of Past You, or disappointed in her. The good news is, you get to decide right NOW which one it's going to be.
  • glasshalffull713
    glasshalffull713 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Stop stopping. Or rather, stop thinking of it that way. Really this is a journey, lifestyle change, whatever you want to call it, and you are never going to be 100% "on" or "off" so why not treat it that way? When you make a poor choice, or have a bad day, it doesn't mean you have to quit for that whole day, just make the next decision count! It's the sum of our decisions that gets us where we are going, so don't let one moment mean you throw away the whole day.
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement PaytraB and MamaRiss! And i'm totally in the "right now" mood at the moment. I have alot of stress in my life that leads me to the "tomorrow" thinking. For some reason food is my first reaction to stress. And when I think "tomorrow" in my mind I am sincere, just keep pushing it back.

Thanks!

There's your problem. Committing to something is not mood dependant. It's a committment, no matter WHAT your mood is like. I know about stress, I have a full time job, 4 teenagers (one with a baby) and my partner's crazy ex making our lives miserable. But I haven't had a day in 5 months where I haven't stuck to the plan. I'm no saint, I've been trying to lose weight for 20 years. I've had plenty of "i'll start Monday" weeks. All you're doing is lying to yourself. Once you get it into your head you're not "on a diet" that this is how you eat (whatever way of eating you choose to adopt), you'll stop thinking diet as in you're being deprived.
  • MonaRN81
    Options
    shai74 wrote: »

Thanks!

There's your problem. Committing to something is not mood dependant. It's a committment, no matter WHAT your mood is like. I know about stress, I have a full time job, 4 teenagers (one with a baby) and my partner's crazy ex making our lives miserable. But I haven't had a day in 5 months where I haven't stuck to the plan. I'm no saint, I've been trying to lose weight for 20 years. I've had plenty of "i'll start Monday" weeks. All you're doing is lying to yourself. Once you get it into your head you're not "on a diet" that this is how you eat (whatever way of eating you choose to adopt), you'll stop thinking diet as in you're being deprived.

True! Thanks for pointing this out! I'm not being deprived! This is GOOD for me!! And I love how I feel when I eat well and exercise. And the food never tastes as good as I think it will, and I feel like crap afterwards.
  • glasshalffull713
    glasshalffull713 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Maybe try replacing your snacking to subdue stress with another, healthier habit. When you notice that feeling, go for a 10 minute walk, or do 20 pushups or something. Maybe drink a glass of water...
  • MamaMollyT
    MamaMollyT Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I've been eating clean for years and years now and it does become a way of life after you commit to it. I no longer crave many of the things I used to eat when I was younger and could eat anything in sight. I think maybe you have it worked up in your mind to be this massive, difficult task but it is really not that hard and you CAN do it. Its just learning to give your body what it needs: exercise, healthy food, water and sleep. Don't create a need to be perfect in your mind because then it is too hard and you will fail. It's a learning process and look at it as taking some time to learn how to eat in a way to fuel your body and give your body the physical exercise that it naturally craves. I eat great tasting food every day and love doing new things to work out. It's fun and I meet great people. So put all those positive thoughts in your head and go to work.
  • sherambler
    sherambler Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I try reminding myself that I can undo what was done yesterday and I can't control what happens tomorrow, but I can control what I do in this moment. Stop thinking about the future and try refocusing on what you can do now in the present. Take it one hour at a time if you have to. What can you do from moment to moment to help you reach your goals?
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    This is most people...
  • Terpasaur
    Terpasaur Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Everyone is guilty of saying this at one time or another. I like to think of a healthy style as a journey not a transition that happens overnight. If you slip up during the day, just acknowledge it and try harder for the rest of day. Keep maintaining this thought process everyday and eventually you form a habit. We are what we repeatedly do.
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Start with small goals instead of looking at the big picture. Look at losing 5lbs, then 10. Look at running 1 mile, then a 5K. If you start small, the victories come quickly and will motivate you to reach the next milestone.