Are HRMs Essential for Weight Loss ?

Options
For someone who doesn't really rely on their exercise calories [as in they don't eat their exercise cals back], but mostly on their caloric intake, do you think knowing how many calories one burns during a workout is essential to losing weight?
And if you have a HRM, why do you use it (besides from wanting to know how many calories you burned)?
610930.jpg

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    No, they are not, even for people who are eating their exercise calories back.
    The accuracy of HRMs for calorie estimations are vastly overstated here.
    Are they useful, sure. Are they the only option, definitely not.
    HRM calorie estimation algorithms are based on steady state moderate intensity cardio. Outside of that they are less accurate.
    Unforuntately, a lot of people blindly follow their HRMs without understanding how they work. They can overestimate.

A couple of great blogs/posts on HRMs and accuracy
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1044313

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/773451

ETA -

I do use for for HR training for running. I do plan on using it for cycling as well.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    No, of course not. People get really involved with losing weight and get a little obsessive, like any hobby can be. It's fun for them.

I don't use one, but if you like gadgets, get one. Can't hurt!
  • ThatDoll
    ThatDoll Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    No, they are not, even for people who are eating their exercise calories back.
    The accuracy of HRMs for calorie estimations are vastly overstated here.
    Are they useful, sure. Are they the only option, definitely not.
    HRM calorie estimation algorithms are based on steady state moderate intensity cardio. Outside of that they are less accurate.
    Unforuntately, a lot of people blindly follow their HRMs without understanding how they work. They can overestimate.

A couple of great blogs/posts on HRMs and accuracy
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1044313

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/773451

ETA -

I do use for for HR training for running. I do plan on using it for cycling as well.

Wow thank you! Those were some nice reads.
    I was like obsessed with buying a HRM but then I realized, what am I gonna do with the data? It wouldn't really affect my life lol
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I use mine to monitor my heart rate (mine also has built in GPS for keeping distances & pace honest).

Most HRMs are not that reliable in estimating caloric expenditure and as 3dogsrunning so aptly pointed out many people treat the information they get as the gospel (and then post threads "I'm exercising 800hrs a week and not losing weight....")
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    ThatDoll wrote: »
    For someone who doesn't really rely on their exercise calories [as in they don't eat their exercise cals back], but mostly on their caloric intake, do you think knowing how many calories one burns during a workout is essential to losing weight?
    And if you have a HRM, why do you use it (besides from wanting to know how many calories you burned)?
    610930.jpg

It helps but not essential. It's a tool.

I like that dog.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Nope. In fact, I had a month+ plateau this summer mostly to over over-trusting my shiny new HRM and eating back too many calories. Once I tossed the HRM into the scrap heap and went back to using "MFP estimates corrected for BMR" (i.e., a MFP net burn) my weight started coming back off per plan.
  • DeeJayShank
    DeeJayShank Posts: 92 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Not essential. I wouldn't eat back your exercise until you reach maintenance anyways (then again, I lift, almost no cardio, so not many calories to eat back).
  • BetterKimmer
    BetterKimmer Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    HR monitor is for monitoring your heart rate when you are wearing it. It also can estimate your caloric burn if you enter your stats. I agree with 3dogsrunning. All science shows it is really only useful during steady state cardio. And margin of error for them in the calorie counting area is pretty great, especially in the start/stop exercises or high/low intensity, or when accurate data for the individual is not documented properly.

In a nutshell, they are to monitor your heart rate and give you an estimation of calories burned.

ps: some track steps per day or activities, so maybe that?
  • philwrightfitness
    Options
    I agree with other posters that they should be treated with caution, however , I feel they are a better guide than the lists published in books etc as they give you a (slightly) more accurate estimate of calories burned. I use mine if I change routines or try something new just to give me a comparative measurement to my other workouts. I think people heavily over estimate calories burned in exercise
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    As others have said...

No, they aren't necessary. They, like websites, cardio machines, etc are just another estimate. This whole process is based on estimates. Estimate as consistently as you can, and tweak things slowly/incrementally until your expected results line up with your actual results.

As for me personally, I use mine specifically for HR-based training. There's also the cool gadget effect.
  • CdnRower
    CdnRower Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    HRMs are mainly a motivational tool when it comes to fat loss. If you ask me, they are guaranteed to be a source of disappointment if somebody starts trying to do the math on how much fat they will lose vs the reality of those numbers after a couple of weeks.

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM because I like to wog- that's a walk/jog. If I used estimates of calories burned by walking, they would be too low. If I used calorie estimates for running, they would be too high. My normal routes are very hilly, so I like to walk the inclines and jog/run/sprint the declines. I check out my heart rate as I'm going and try to hit certain %HR during the running parts.

I eat back 75-90% of my cardio calories.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I use mine to make my workouts exciting and gauge the intensity to see if I am slacking off or need to increase resistance. However, I mostly do steady state cardio.I also don't practice eating back exercise calories.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Not essential for weight loss, people have been losing weight long before HRM were easily available. However, it is a tool that can help, but only if you understand the flaws of a HRM. Personally, I love my HRM, but I could keep losing without it if I needed too.