Calling Shift Workers

Good Evening,

I am looking for a little advice - I work shifts sometimes starting at 6 in the morning and sometimes finishing 10 at night.

I am struggling for late shift budget meal ideas that preferrably are not salad and if I can avoid it I do not have to reheat.

If anyone has any ideas it would be appreciated :smiley:

Thanks in Advance

Teri <3 (*) <3

Replies

• michaelachallis
    michaelachallis Posts: 137 Member
    i feel your pain, i shift work too. I generally spend my days off preparing for my work days, creating snack bags and meals.

Some of my go to are:

snacks//
    natural yoghurt and fruit
    cut up fruit bags
    crackers and cheese
    mixed nuts
    hummus and vege sticks
    protein bars

meals//
    low cal wrap with shredded chicken and salad inside
    sandwich
    cold pasta salad
    cold roast veges with shredded chicken

• Thanks :smile: I feel as if I am going to end up living off pasta
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    I work 3rd shift, so not shift work but I do like doing things ahead of time rather than on a daily basis.

I usually will bake a week's worth of boneless/skinless chicken breasts on Sunday. It keeps pretty well in a Tupperware bowl in the fridge. Personally, I like cold chicken so no reheating necessary for me!

I also do this with just about any other type of meat (red meat, fish, pork). Wrapped in tinfoil, I've never had any issues and it helps so that I only have to wash the pan or dish once rather than over and over throughout the week.

I also create Tupperware bowls of fruits and vegetables ahead of time so I can just grab them on my way out the door.

I also like to keep packages of Better Oats on hand at work. They're a quick meal to make and you can use the package as a measuring cup for water.

• LadyRN76
    LadyRN76 Posts: 4,275 Member
    I have worked night shift for years...sometimes 16 hours at a time..I keep raisins and cheese sticks on hand and yogurt is always good to have.