Caloric deficit

Options
There seems to be a massive misconception about how this works on mfp and I want to set it clear once and for all. When you joined mfp and put in your info and the weight loss goal mfp sets it up so that you have the deficit needed to shed that weight with NO exercise whatsoever. You can sit on your butt and still shed that weight if you log accurately for caloric intake. So with that said this is why you are meant to eat back your exercise calories. Let me be 110% clear here you do not HAVE to eat them back but by doing that you are creating a LARGER deficit than what mfp has recommended which is not healthy unless you are obese. Obese ppl can get away with it because they have so much fat that will supplement that low intake, this is why when ppl who have 40 or more pounds to lose when they joined mfp can get away with not eating back the calories. Now for those of you whom have 39 or less to lose that is a different matter totally. You will get away with it at first, and up to a point the body will work with you to get that fat off but the lower your weight gets the MORE your body will fight back! Plateau anyone? These occur when there is a caloric imbalance and this is when cal intake does not support proper metabolic function. The body will fight back and slow you down unless you are doing it in a healthy way, (what mfp recommends for weight loss and following exactly what they laid out for you from day 1). I have listened to what mfp has setup for me, over 100 days now, 31 pounds down and still losing with 0 plateaus, sure there were days I was hungrier but I stuck it out and still do to this day and I am riding this all the way to 10% bodyfat. I eat back nearly every single exercise cal unless I am using proper application of caloric zig zagging to accelerate fat loss.
You are not working out to burn fat, that is not how it works, what you are working out for is to raise your bmr. You do not BURN FAT during your workouts, you burn cals and in order to raise your bmr the body needs those exercise cals for recovery. Do not believe me? Great keep on smashing your heads against the brick wall that is your current setup and enjoy but I laugh at every single one of you as my friends and my wife and me keep on losing while the rest of you post on here week after week; "help I have plateaued and do not know why?" Simple concept to understand, learn it, trust it, and rejoice in working with your body. Resist it and sooner or later you are going to run into a brick wall with weight loss and then have to learn this the hard way.

Replies

• Peep_chic
    Peep_chic Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    agree. Bump:drinker:
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Don't make the fuzzy angry! You won't like him when he's angry!
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I hear you! You just keep preachin' . Ppl are hearing you. Just don't tie yourself up over it. They will get it when they are ready.
    The Fuzz has spoken!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Thank you! It's such a simple (and healthy) concept. I just wish people would start listening!!! :explode:
  • Zuznana
    Zuznana Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Needs a bump...people need to read this. Myself included. :smile:
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    With that being said...... the same questions are going to keep coming up every single day. New people join, no one bothers to use the search function. :indifferent:
  • kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Only been on here 20ish days.......got it pounded into my head already. Im on day 2 with more calories. Scared...but hey....my way DOESNT work, obviously.....so I'm going with it! :)
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1, and I burn average 1300 cals a day through exercise. HOW am I supposed to eat it all back and be healthy? There's only so much of chicken/turkey a person can take. ???
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    You are a very smart person. I am going to listen to what you are saying. I am in love with this site and the people here are super wonderful.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    With that being said...... the same questions are going to keep coming up every single day. New people join, no one bothers to use the search function. :indifferent:

True, but the search function is very clunky.

I usually find it easier to go to Google and type " my search terms + myfitnesspal.com", if anyone does want to search the forums!
  • froglegjack
    froglegjack Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Well it is working for me doing it the healthy way and no more headaches and tossing and turning at night. I am thankful for the good information on here and people who are willing to help. And to keep helping. :)
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I read another one of your posts that says to plan in exercise as your planning so that your exercise calories are easier to eat.. and I've been doing that and it def. does work!

Thanks for all your info.. Hopefully it starts working for me soon.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1, and I burn average 1300 cals a day through exercise. HOW am I supposed to eat it all back and be healthy? There's only so much of chicken/turkey a person can take. ???

If you are burning that many calories working out, you will probably be better off replenishing them with carbs, more than protein. Trust me, with carbs, and healthy fats, it is easy to eat that many calories. If you don't believe me, go to Olive Garden, and try to eat a meal that is less than 1300 calories, that contains pasta. My kids were telling me last night that Michael Phelps burns over 12,000 calories a day, and eats them back with a lot of carbs, like pasta, and pizza.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options

What do you do to burn that much? And is it being measured by a bodybugg or fitbit? Or just going by machines/estimates?
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Thanks for speakin it!!
  • moonshine_bek
    Options
    Bump - I really needed to hear this, thanks :wink:
  • muriah2
    muriah2 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Fuzzy, you are amazing. Thank you for being you.
  • soccermum75
    soccermum75 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Great post mighty fuzzy:drinker:
  • lottycat
    lottycat Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that, it's easy to get carried away and forget the basic principles. Great post x