Strength exercises with L5 slipped disc

Options
Good morning all,

I have asked this before, but long before a proper diagnosis and physiotherapy so I'm going to start it anew, hoping someone will have a good answer for me :)

Basically I have a slipped disc on my L5 part of my spine from a weightlifting accident last year and have been attending physiotherapy to combat it.

I am curious as to if I am capable of doing any strength related exercises which will not impact my back? I was doing lying fly dumbbells but stopped doing these in case they were setting my physiotherapy back but they certainly helped tone my man boobs down and would quite like to do them again if it's safe.

Thanks for any help :)

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    If you have a therapist, ask them.

Only they know what they're working with re: your body. If you want to roll the dice though, do them and find out.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    http://www.t-nation.com/training/how-to-train-like-a-bad-*kitten*-even-with-a-bad-back this might give you an idea of what can be done. But in general your therapist/chiropractor should be able to help you far better

The **** in the link is a-s-s (one word, which won't be shown cause it's classed as a swear word)
  • lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    89nunu: Thanks, I will give that a read :)

dbmata: Unfortunately my Physio is very non-committal on any advice I try to get out of him, bit annoying!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I've had a multitude of slipped discs (L3/4/5). If your therapist isn't prepared to give advice on how to manage your injury and rehab then change therapists.
    My "magic bullets" to managing my condition was great acute care from my Osteopath along with rehab advice for the long term prevention of further injuries. Improving abs and core muscles generally to support my damaged joints was my gateway to transforming from someone slipping discs getting out of bed or washing the car to regaining lifetime bests for fitness and strength.

But it depends so much on your particular injury (which nerves impinged, chronic injury or an acute episode etc. etc.) and also at what stage of recovery you are at. My gateway to recovery might not be yours!
    You need expert professional and personal advice and if your Physio is "non-commital" then that's frankly pathetic!
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    That sucks about your PT. I had a disc protrusion (lumbar, can't recall which disc) but I squat 3x week now, so once you're done with PT I'm sure you'll be fine.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    lewispwest wrote: »
    89nunu: Thanks, I will give that a read :)

dbmata: Unfortunately my Physio is very non-committal on any advice I try to get out of him, bit annoying!

See, that doesn't work for me, I wouldn't accept that from any medical service provider. I got lucky, living in the BFE town I'm in, it could have been hard, but I was able to find quality folks. Might be time to shop it?
  • lewispwest
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Might be time to shop it?

Unfortunately I'm not able to as the physio I'm seeing is under the National Health Service, so you get what you are given!
  • lewispwest
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I've had a multitude of slipped discs (L3/4/5). If your therapist isn't prepared to give advice on how to manage your injury and rehab then change therapists.
    My "magic bullets" to managing my condition was great acute care from my Osteopath along with rehab advice for the long term prevention of further injuries. Improving abs and core muscles generally to support my damaged joints was my gateway to transforming from someone slipping discs getting out of bed or washing the car to regaining lifetime bests for fitness and strength.

But it depends so much on your particular injury (which nerves impinged, chronic injury or an acute episode etc. etc.) and also at what stage of recovery you are at. My gateway to recovery might not be yours!
    You need expert professional and personal advice and if your Physio is "non-commital" then that's frankly pathetic!

Thank you for the advice, I have private medical insurance so I might go to see an Osteo/Chiro to aid my recovery :)
  • lewispwest
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    That sucks about your PT. I had a disc protrusion (lumbar, can't recall which disc) but I squat 3x week now, so once you're done with PT I'm sure you'll be fine.

That's good to hear, I was worried I was screwed for life...
  • tammyc226
    tammyc226 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have similar disc issues (bottom 2 bulging discs) and for some time my physio said that I couldn't do any weights training. Now that it has been several months since I was in pain and that I have been doing core training for awhile I am allowed to do some weights. I need to start really slowly, and concentrate on "pulling" exercises rather than "pushing". For example I can do row type exercises. The New Rules of Lifting for Women book explained in some detail the difference between pulling and pushing exercises if you don't know and cant find it elsewhere. I have also specifically been told to stay away from the squat rack.
    Obviously I don't know all your issues or medical situation and whether this applies to you, just giving you the details for my situation.
  • NotBonJovi
    NotBonJovi Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I had major slipped discs on L4,L5 about 15 years ago when I could barely get up and walk. For me Yoga for back strengthening helped. These are specific yoga postures to help the back. Any forward bending poses would aggravate it. Please google or check the youtube if you are interested.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    You may want to check out books by Dr. Suart McGill. I have chronic back issues and have to be very careful about every move. The book I would recommend is "Ultimate Back Fitness and Performance" which sheds light on back performance in athletes and how to maximize athletic performance while minimizing the chance of back injuries.

Really, before looking for exercises to do with an injured back it's best to learn how to optimize your movements during these exercises.
  • granturismo
    granturismo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I went to a private physio attached to a sports injury clinic, they had a gym so he was able to give me exercises and give advice on the type of machines I could use. Maybe your insurance will pay some or all the cost. If you bring your medical records, you shouldnt need too many visits if you have to pay full costs.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    lewispwest wrote: »
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

That's good to hear, I was worried I was screwed for life...

I would imagine that you'll be fine. I went through physical therapy for mine, eased back into the gym, put more focus on flexibility, and to be honest I'm stronger than ever. My doctor told me I would never squat again. However I will say that I can't deadlift anymore without pain, so instead I just squat three times per week. I'm not competing in powerlifting so who cares about the deadlift.