Go-to breakfast for kids

Options
My daughter and I can easily eat eggs or oatmeal everyday, but I struggle with giving my kids something convenient, instead of healthy. I'd like to be a frozen waffle, poptart, sugary cereal free house, but I'm struggling with finding something my son likes. What's your go-to healthy everyday breakfast for the kids.

Replies

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I opt for a lower sugar cereal, like alphabits or cheerios, served with skim milk. Or a gogurt tube/toast and orange juice. My son really likes the whole grain poptarts, so I get those as a treat sometimes.

My son also really likes peanut butter on (wheat)toast for breakfast, and sliced apples with cheese and whole wheat ritz crackers for breakfast.

Not perfect, but better than sending a hungry kid to school!
  • fittestpal
    fittestpal Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    1-min oatmeal, carton egg whites, peanut butter, banana, greek yogurt, fruit, whole wheat toast, whole grain cereal, i recently found some turkey sausage that is low in fat and tastes good
  • fittestpal
    fittestpal Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    oh i forgot to add its hard to have convenience and health. if you want to be healthy it has to be a priority so you might have to lose 20 mins of sleep for preparation.
  • HopeKasrai
    HopeKasrai Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I don't have children, but I do have a husband who loves poptarts and sugary cereal. I like to make a convenient breakfast for him so he can grab and go and I know what's going into his body. I especially like to make a lot of grab and go breakfast options and freeze them. Our favorites are homemade egg mcmuffins, mini egg cups, breakfast tacos, frozen greek yogurt bars, oatmeal breakfast "cupcakes" , etc. Savory and sweet options and all of these are easy and cheap and they keep my husband very full.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    18k3bb3dblbdljpg.jpg
  • maybebaby34
    maybebaby34 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    My daughter eats plain greek yougurt and raw honey everyday. (Dont ask :/) my son eats fruit, or organic Kashi Cereal. If you made up healthy waffles or pancakes and froze between wax paper then you can have quick and easy still. Our childrens health and focus at school should be top priority. Sure they cant go from cocoa puffs to plain cherios over night. But small, slow changes add up. My kids love banana dogs. Bread, nut butter, banana, & a zig zag of raw honey for a mustard look. Wrap bread around whole banana to resemble a hotdog. Simple & quick. Maybe ask him to go shopping with you, pick his own healthy foods. You got this momma!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Eh we're short on time most days, so they have dry cereal (you know, the way too sugary stuff). Sometimes some fruit too, but they're just not big breakfast eaters. Rarely they'll ask for frozen waffles. If we have more time they'll have French toast, eggs, bacon, pancakes etc. They had yogurt tubes for a while but I tried the 'healthier' Greek yogurt ones and they won't have any of that, so I stopped buying them because they just eat too much sugar as it is.

I like those pancakes on a stick!
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I eat vanilla honey Greek yogurt mixed with chia seeds and topped with granola. My favorite granolas are the chocolate varieties from Back to Nature and Bare Naked.
  • Mof3wc
    Mof3wc Posts: 126 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    My kids usually have a muffin every morning (homemade, gluten free, sweetened with honey) but they also like fruit, smoothies, rice cereal or corn flakes (gluten free ones with no sugar added) I sometimes make and freeze waffles/pancakes. My daughters will eat eggs sometimes.

You can try switching bit by bit. Get rid of the poptarts and buy quality frozen waffles (Vans or Natures Path) find a lower sugar cereal (most kids like honey nut cheerios) and go from there.

Will he eat something like Rice Krispies with berries or cut up banana?
  • ImmaZombie
    Options
    Homemade healthy pop tarts.. make up a bunch of them and have them ready for school days. :)http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/homemade-healthy-poptarts
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    My older son loves Honey Nut Cheerios. My younger son loves sugary, probably not good for him at all cereal. Frankly I am just glad to get at least one of them to eat in the rush of the morning. Some days, as long as they are eating at all, I am happy.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    JenAndSome wrote: »
    My older son loves Honey Nut Cheerios. My younger son loves sugary, probably not good for him at all cereal. Frankly I am just glad to get at least one of them to eat in the rush of the morning. Some days, as long as they are eating at all, I am happy.

Sorry to break it to you but honey nut cheerios have maybe 1 less gram of sugar than your so-called 'sugary' cereal.

My kids eat both, but if you think honey nut cheerios are healthier, you're mistaken.
  • renegadegeek
    renegadegeek Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat "breakfast" foods for breakfast, either. My daughter is just as happy with leftover chicken and rice in the morning. I make quesadillas all the time in the morning (especially yummy filled with shredded chicken or scrambled eggs and cheese).

We also do homemade yogurt and granola with berries a lot, as well as smoothies. I make healthier, homemade versions of waffles, pancakes and muffins on weekends then freeze them to reheat during the week. Serve one of those with a hard boiled egg or a hand full of good trail mix and you're good to go. Oatmeal, millet, buckwheat and other hot grains are yummy made overnight in the crockpot and topped with nuts and yogurt.

I mostly avoid cereal of all kinds, but when they have it they must have scrambled eggs or something high protein with it. I found a nice flax cereal that's great with raisins and doesn't have a lot of weird stuff or sugar in it.
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Just made my kids a ham, egg and cheese sandwich for breakfast this morning and it took all of about 5 minutes.

We love our egg poacher. You can poach two eggs in less than 2 minutes. I always have some kind of meat, whether its bacon, sausage, turkey sausage, ham, etc... Pre-cook your meat when you have more time and heat it in the microwave on those busy mornings. We use Sargentos Ultra thin sliced cheese then toast a few pieces of bread and put it all together. yum!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Mine eat weetabix. (They're 3 and 5).

I'd prefer they didn't eat cereal, but we're sometimes in such a rush to get everyone ready (I have a baby too) that it's the easiest option. We used to always have egg.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    My daughter eats either frozen waffles with sugar free syrup or cereal every day. I generally try to encourage whole grains at breakfast or fruit. However, breakfast in my house is a more laid back, quick, yummy meal. It's also my "treat" meal where I can start the day with something sweet. I know what she eats for lunch, dinner, and snacks so a breakfast a little higher in sugar and less protein, fiber, etc than I would like is not going to kill her.
  • Maryam2014mfp
    Options
    My son has a lot of allergies and intolerances; so my main focus is that he gets balanced nutrition, so it may not be a "typical" breakfast.

Some things he will eat are:

A wrap with mozerella cheese, lettuce and some type of protein (chicken, turkey, thinly sliced steak, turkey bacon, etc).

Pancakes and turkey bacon.

Leftovers heated up.

Apples, strawberries, etc

Muffins, banana bread, etc

Grated cheese, cheese stick

Those are the most common things he likes ... Hope it helps give you some ideas. Try to think outside of the box and just be sure they get a balance of carbs, protein and fruit. Some days may have more than others; but ultimately it all balances out. Take care :)
  • Maryam2014mfp
    Options
    Oh and grilled cheese sandwiches ... :)
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Take an hour one day and whip up your own waffle batter, cook them and freeze them. Yay for toaster waffles!
  • Maryam2014mfp
    Options
    I guess to define leftovers, I mean whatever you had for lunch and dinner the day before, etc ... Like meat, chicken, rice, potatoes, pasta, vegetables, casserole, pizza, etc. I mention this in case you didn't know what I meant. Take care :)