How to fit exercise in when you would long hours??

Options
Hey im Aine im 21 years old, over the past 3 years I've went from a size 8 to 14 .... I'm a nurse and work long hours , I've been trying to eat as healthy as I can but I can't seem to motivate my self to exercise ! I work 45 to 50 hours aweek anyone any tips how I could work exercise around that and how? Thanks x

Replies

• korkyrn
    korkyrn Posts: 18
    Options
    I also am a nurse and although I don't work as many hours as you I understand the time constraints that work can put on us. I would suggest taking (if you can) walks on your breaks and lunch. They may only be 10-15min. long but it all counts. Also, how about waking up a 1/2 hour early to do some floor exercises or throw in a quick exercise DVD to get your day started. I know this is easier said than done. I too am up at 5am so when my 420 alarm goes off I many times want to throw it at the wall. But once I'm up and at it I feel great. Good luck.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Are you walking at work? Increase your pace when walking around at work. Keep it short. You can do a quick workout in 10 to 15 minutes and repeat if you have time. Getting exercise in does not have to be a full hour at a time.
  • nineteentwenty
    nineteentwenty Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I work 40hrs a week (8:30-5:00) and I just get up at early and work out at 5:30. It's a pain, but being fat hurts more.
  • ainemckay354
    Options
    I'm a community nurse so I'm out and about in my car , thanks for replying!
    I'll try the 1/2 hour early exercise maybe once aweek lol .. I'm not the greatest morning person :smile: What kind of quick exercises would Yous recommend? X
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Another nurse here too......I'm an early bird and like to work out from 4-5 AM. I can then make it to work by 7. I find that I have far more energy on those days then on days that I don't work out.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Start by eating less. You don't HAVE to exercise to lose weight, plus you have a pretty active job so it should be relatively easier.

Do you watch any tv? Just run in place or buy a cheap stationary bike so you can do that while you watch your shows.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Greatist (yes with an i) has short daily workouts. There is also a 15 minute jump rope routine. There are also others on the internet if you search.
  • croooz
    croooz Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Not a nurse however I find that the most consistent and sustainable way to fit exercise in, resistance training for me, is when I do it first thing in the morning. I walk to the kitchen make my americano coffee (espress + water) take a baby aspirin and begin warming up with the bar. I'm done for the day and have no concerns with fitting it in because it's done. I've tried with exercising at the end of the day but that was never sustainable because it wasn't consistent. I exercise three times a week but I wake up everyday at the same time so that I could develop it as a habit. So on non-workout days I do mobility work. Find what works for you which translates into find a schedule that you can stick to and stick to it. I have worked shifts and that took a ton of discipline which eventually waned due to the arbitrariness of the scheduler and not having established a set schedule (habit) of exercising.
  • ainemckay354
    Options
    thanks for the tips everyone! I'm gonna try waking up earlier for a quick exercise 2-3 morning out of the week to start me off , A 10-15 minute walk/jog round my block ??
  • sherambler
    sherambler Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    It's tough, but eventually it just comes down to making the time to fit it in. When I really scrutinized how I spent my time between school, work, volunteering and other stuff, I realized that while I thought I didn't have time to fit in a workout, I was managing to fit in a few TV shows or some other type of extra at least a few times a week, if not nightly. So I try to remind myself of this each time I tell myself that there's no time. Also, if you find an exercise you really like, it's a lot easier to make time to fit it in. It might also be worthwhile to look into things like hiit where you can burn a good deal of calories in a shorter period of time. Days that I have completely off, I get a longer work out in as soon as I get up, so it's out of the way and one less thing to worry about. I'm also more motivated to maybe try a shorter activity in the evening for a little extra burn. I've just resigned myself to the fact that there will be days I have to work out at 7 am (or earlier) or 9pm (or later). I have a rule that I can't take off more than one day from exercising at a time, which helps to keep exercising a priority. it took time to really implement and stick to it, but now it's a habit.
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I work 60 hours a week every week. That is my normal hours. You have to make it a priority. I still manage to find 45 minutes a day to get in to the gym. If you make it a priority, you will find the time.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,716 Member
    Options
    sherambler wrote: »
    It's tough, but eventually it just comes down to making the time to fit it in. When I really scrutinized how I spent my time between school, work, volunteering and other stuff, I realized that while I thought I didn't have time to fit in a workout, I was managing to fit in a few TV shows or some other type of extra at least a few times a week, if not nightly. So I try to remind myself of this each time I tell myself that there's no time. Also, if you find an exercise you really like, it's a lot easier to make time to fit it in. It might also be worthwhile to look into things like hiit where you can burn a good deal of calories in a shorter period of time. Days that I have completely off, I get a longer work out in as soon as I get up, so it's out of the way and one less thing to worry about. I'm also more motivated to maybe try a shorter activity in the evening for a little extra burn. I've just resigned myself to the fact that there will be days I have to work out at 7 am (or earlier) or 9pm (or later). I have a rule that I can't take off more than one day from exercising at a time, which helps to keep exercising a priority. it took time to really implement and stick to it, but now it's a habit.
    This! Yes, I completely agree. Well said.