Question

Options
marygirl05
marygirl05 Posts: 254 Member
So I ran my first 5k ever on sat took me 40 mins which to me isn't bad seeing how I am over weight, out of shape and havn't run in a month. My question is I seem to have gained a pound since last week but I have tracked everything messaged everything.. Could this be water weight? I also did wood the last 2 days which was splitting, throwing and stacking, my legs are very sore from running and then doing wood all weekend. I feel like I am doing something wrong because I didn't lose this week I am hoping it is water weight but how long will it take to get it off? Thanks for any help

Replies

• marygirl05
    marygirl05 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    *retain water
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    could be

just keep going
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    It's most likely water retention in your muscles. If it is then it should subside after a couple days' rest.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Answer
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I would go on the side of water....

Continue tracking your food, and working out.
    If after another 2 weeks, you are still going up....
    Then drop your calories a bit.
  • karenj_m
    karenj_m Posts: 215
    Options
    Yes.....if you were chopping wood for two days, using different muscles...my guess Is the one pound is water...but it could be from too much sodium in last nights dinner...could be from poop in the canal....

Don't sweat 1 pound...it will fluctuate...be sure to drink enough water
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Most people's weight fluctuates by well over a pound every day, from water, food solids, and intestinal bacteria. It could be water retention from unaccustomed exercise, it could be water retention because you ate more salt than usual, it could be constipation....

If you're confident that you're logging accurately, don't worry about a small gain in 1 week. If there's no change after 4 weeks, that's the time to start worrying. You might want to look at the chapters "The Rubber Bag" and "Signal and Noise"in John Walker, The Hacker's Diet (http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/e4/).
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Every pint of water retained is 1 pound so, yeah I'm surprised your weight didn't go up more. Congratulations on the 5K, that's pretty cool!