Type 1 Diabetes

Options
I'm feeling frustrated. I am having low blood sugars which need to be treated by about 15-30 grams of carbs or one to two apples -- but this is happening at work -- so I use my apple juice or when that runs out I am left with skittles and pepsi... I must admit I am trying really hard to log everything I am intaking but I give up some days being frustrated with the amount of calories I HAVE to eat to keep my blood sugar stabilized. I am working with my Dr. on the numbers to try and limit the number of low blood sugars I have but it's not a perfect science -- If I'm not low I'm high and both are bad. Does anyone else have type 1 diabetes while trying to lose weight? What are your tips for making this work? I have lost just a couple of pounds - I think 4 too be exact and I have been trying since the beginning of August. My eating isn't the best so I know I need to work on that in a big way. I'd love to hear what other people are doing with their type 1 diabetes.

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    http://www.diabetes-book.com/index.shtml is written by a long term Type 1 guy.

There's only 5 grams of glucose in yr bloodstream, do you really need to take 30g to correct ?
  • authlaut
    Options
    I'm with you. I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at age 11 (19 years ago!) and I haven't been in control with it. My eating is not good, my exercise is not good, and I blame the diabetes for me not being healthy. I'm back to MFP today and I joined a gym yesterday. I get extremely frustrated as well with trying to lose weight and keeping a very close eye on my calorie intake but then having my sugar drop and having to add in an unexpected sugar source. I use an insulin pump, but it's not an exact science either. For example last night I started a bolus and then stood up and my infusion set pulled out, which of course meant that the insulin leaked. I tried to guess how much leaked out and over-compensated, meaning my blood sugar dropped low. I wish I could give you tips, but I'm struggling along with you to control both my weight and my sugar levels!
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling frustrated. I am having low blood sugars which need to be treated by about 15-30 grams of carbs or one to two apples -- but this is happening at work -- so I use my apple juice or when that runs out I am left with skittles and pepsi... I must admit I am trying really hard to log everything I am intaking but I give up some days being frustrated with the amount of calories I HAVE to eat to keep my blood sugar stabilized. I am working with my Dr. on the numbers to try and limit the number of low blood sugars I have but it's not a perfect science -- If I'm not low I'm high and both are bad. Does anyone else have type 1 diabetes while trying to lose weight? What are your tips for making this work? I have lost just a couple of pounds - I think 4 too be exact and I have been trying since the beginning of August. My eating isn't the best so I know I need to work on that in a big way. I'd love to hear what other people are doing with their type 1 diabetes.

I have type I but am not really trying to lose-just to maintain and work on mileage/endurance/fitness. Feel free to add me-some things I keep on hand for lows are fruit strips/fruit leather, candy corn and glucose tabs...because those things are low calorie, have just about the right amount of carb (if you count out the candy corn to like 6 pieces, etc)...
    Swings to get really frustrating if you're going from low to high-I've been struggling with that more lately...I'd get a severe low then over-compensate by eating everything in sight (once that fight or flight kicks in, it's hard to control yourself), then go high...correct with a bolus but end up going low because of the residual effects of exercise...it's annoying-but we can figure it out!
  • MagicalGiraffe
    MagicalGiraffe Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    This is one of the things I struggled with in the beginning, particularly when I introduced exercise - hypos EVERYWHERE!! And eating to sort out your hypo just means more calories, it's frustrating.

For my hypos I now have cereal bars, they are around 16g for 100kcal or so. Saying that, I am at home a lot whereas I assume when you are at work you need a quicker fix. I suggest having a bag of jelly babies, for 3 babies it is 15g of carbs and 60kcal. I would strongly suggest paring this up with something lower GI like a small cereal bar to try not make you crash down again.

It is harder for diabetics to lose weight, might I suggest leaving about 200kcals a day as a buffer for incase you have a hypo.

I too am in the process of stabilising my blood sugars and understand what an ordeal it is. I hope that you understand how important it is to be writing your sugars down during this change in your lifestyle. I test when I wake up, before each meal and 2 hours after and then before sleep. Paired with your MFP food logs you can also begin to see how different foods affect you.

Hope this helps!!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Mary I am not type I but just trying to learn how to not become a type II so I have read a lot. I am finding to avoid all carbs that come from man made products like candy and soft drinks and getting carbs from fruit, etc is more healthy when it comes to weight management. Planning for work carb needs will take some effort I am sure.

What I do know from papers you need to stay on top of your insulin levels for sure. Read up on the fast/slow acting carbs and get with your doctor about how to smooth out your insulin levels if possible. Google can be your friend but question EVERYTHING you read.

Best of luck.

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

Sounds to me like you need to be a little more prepared so you have supplies on hand for when your blood sugar drops.
    And I would ask your doctor for a referral to a nutritionist or dietician who can help you learn about how to eat for your medical needs. Most of the time, I would say that everyone should eat the way they prefer, but you simply don't have that luxury. Skittles and Pepsi probably aren't the best go-to foods for a Type 1 diabetic.

Not trying to lecture, but you really need to take a hard look at your intake and see what changes you can make to positively impact your health in the long term. Once you have that under control, you'll probably be able to focus more on weight loss.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Pardon me for adding this. I have been researching low thyroid problems and have discovered there can be a relationship between type 1 diabetes and low thyroid problems, Predominantly the problem is seen as hyperthyroidism, over activity, but it can and does change. I know the thyroid plays a part in the control of the digestion and with sugar absorption. I don't know if looking into this for yourselves might help anyone, we are all different. All I know about diabetes is it is best to avoid significant sugar spikes and lows and this is very difficult at times. All the best to everyone.
  • MagicalGiraffe
    edited October 2014
    Options
    LoraF83 wrote: »

Sounds to me like you need to be a little more prepared so you have supplies on hand for when your blood sugar drops.
    And I would ask your doctor for a referral to a nutritionist or dietician who can help you learn about how to eat for your medical needs. Most of the time, I would say that everyone should eat the way they prefer, but you simply don't have that luxury. Skittles and Pepsi probably aren't the best go-to foods for a Type 1 diabetic.

Not trying to lecture, but you really need to take a hard look at your intake and see what changes you can make to positively impact your health in the long term. Once you have that under control, you'll probably be able to focus more on weight loss.

Skittles and pepsi an excellent go to for a type 1 diabetic who is suffering from a hypoglycemic attack. Fast acting sugar is paramount for an individual to have that boost to getting a more lasting sugar source.

From your post I can tell that you aren't a diabetic so I don't blame you for not understanding what having a hypo is like but I can explain. You know when you stand up fast and your vision blacks out with your head feeling fuzzy, imagine that all over your body. Your hands may also be shaking, you find it hard to speak but you know you need to get sugar in you fast. Faffing around trying to make a sandwich (involving knives) whilst not being under full control of your own body would be a tremendously stupid idea. Fast acting sugary pop or sweets are great.

I hope I educated you a little today.

Edit: typo

• MagicalGiraffe
    Options
    Mary I am not type I but just trying to learn how to not become a type II so I have read a lot. I am finding to avoid all carbs that come from man made products like candy and soft drinks and getting carbs from fruit, etc is more healthy when it comes to weight management. Planning for work carb needs will take some effort I am sure.

What I do know from papers you need to stay on top of your insulin levels for sure. Read up on the fast/slow acting carbs and get with your doctor about how to smooth out your insulin levels if possible. Google can be your friend but question EVERYTHING you read.

Best of luck.

The first paragraph is irrelevant for Type 1, also OP has already mentioned they are working with a doctor to stabilise blood sugar so second paragraph is unneeded.

It can be very easy for someone who doesn't understand type 1 diabetes to say: "go to you doctor and work with them to stabilise your sugars". We know to do that, we do try to stabilise them but it is such an intricate thing. Right now:
    - My insomnia pushes my blood sugars up
    - My period can affect my blood sugars
    - My contraceptive pill pushes blood sugars up
    - My anxiety medication brings blood sugars down
    - The stress my body is under from my anxiety pushes them up
    - The stress I have from unemployment and finances pushes them up
    - The weather turning colder can bring them down
    - Having to walk more whilst we find a car to buy brings my blood sugar down

There is probably more going on but I want people to realise the process of stabilising sugars is never-ending as life brings new complications or gets rid of complications. For the type of query OP had I think it's better if those that answer understand the daily hassle rather than just saying "work with the doctors".
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options

Best of luck.

The first paragraph is irrelevant for Type 1, also OP has already mentioned they are working with a doctor to stabilise blood sugar so second paragraph is unneeded.

It can be very easy for someone who doesn't understand type 1 diabetes to say: "go to you doctor and work with them to stabilise your sugars". We know to do that, we do try to stabilise them but it is such an intricate thing. Right now:
    - My insomnia pushes my blood sugars up
    - My period can affect my blood sugars
    - My contraceptive pill pushes blood sugars up
    - My anxiety medication brings blood sugars down
    - The stress my body is under from my anxiety pushes them up
    - The stress I have from unemployment and finances pushes them up
    - The weather turning colder can bring them down
    - Having to walk more whilst we find a car to buy brings my blood sugar down

There is probably more going on but I want people to realise the process of stabilising sugars is never-ending as life brings new complications or gets rid of complications. For the type of query OP had I think it's better if those that answer understand the daily hassle rather than just saying "work with the doctors".

Thanks. ^^^^^She knows how it is.

I know, because I've been on that roller coaster for more than 25 years.
  • bengayda
    bengayda Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm type one, and after a few years of ups and downs, I've finally gotten myself pretty straigtened out. I take 20 units of Lantus at 9pm every day. I also take Novalog with my meals - generally 4-7 units per meal, depending on carbs.

Most of the time, I'm ok. The times that I get into trouble are when I go off plan with eating and have a tasty meal. If I take too little insulin, my blood sugar is sky high. Take to much, and I drop, which means I have to eat/drink more to get back up, which means my calories are even higher.

The other issue is that when I work out, sometimes I drop and others I don't. Even if my blood sugar is about the same beforehand and I eat the same meal. Thankfully, 4oz of apple juice usually cures that one.

I would just encourage everyone to keep at it to find what works best for you. My rescue of choice if I'm not home is 4 Starburst candies. Its 16 grams of sugar/carbs, and as long as my sugar level hasn't bottomed out, it fixes me.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I try to keep things that I don't "like" in my purse and my car, which is hard candies or lolipops. They are slow to eat, so I'm not likely just snack on them.

At home, I like to eat fruit, usually I just keep cans of fruit in juice in the fridge, so I can eat the fruit and drink the juice. I don't normally like to drink juice, so I know they will stay there until I "need" them for a hypo.

My kids have sugary cereal on hand all the time, so sometimes I have that, with the milk I'm at least getting some fat and protein too.

But yes, just finding something that works for you is important. If you're going the vending machine a lot, or you don't want to be relying on skittles and pepsi, make a plan ahead of time, try something else, etc.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Hi! I'm also a type 1 diabetic trying to lose weight. I have found that setting my calorie goal to maintenance and then eating at a 500 calorie defect has helped me lose weight without feeling guilty if I have to eat at a .5 pounds lost per week or maintenance rate in order to treat a day full of hypos.

I personally wouldn't recommend using apples as a hypo treatment. Yes, it contains fructose, but apples are also high in fiber, which could delay how long it takes for the sugar to be released into your blood. I tend to use glucose tablets, jelly beans, smarties, and glucose gel as hypo treatment simply because I know that they will begin to bring my BG up quickly so that I am not tempted to raid my kitchen while waiting for my BG to come up.

Have you tested and figured out how much one gram of glucose will raise you (as a quick calculation, take your sensitivity factor divided by your insulin to carb ratio)? For instance, one gram of glucose will bring me up 3.75 mg/dL, so if I have a 60 low, I would only eat about 3g of sugar (or one glucose tablet, which is 4g sugar) if I am not accounting for IOB. If you are afraid of using your calories to treat hypos, it might help to figure out what situations most likely will not need the 15-30g sugar you are currently using to treat lows.

Don't forget that weight loss typically increases insulin sensitivity, and insulin dosage may need to be adjusted as you continue to lose more weight. I have noticed that I need to readjust my insulin dosage (whether it is my basal, my IC, or my SF) approximately every 10 pounds.
  • marywalsh3718
    marywalsh3718 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I don't know if anyone will see this or not - I just figured out how to find my posts instead of looking all over heck for one posting!!! Very insightful... love what was brought! Thank you so much for offering me the support! Best of luck to all of you - no matter where you find yourselves!!! Keep it up!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you too. :)
  • marywalsh3718
    marywalsh3718 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks Roda Rose!!!