Runner's World 8-week beginner program, Couch-to-5K, or both?

Options
Looking at the getting started wiki in the fitness sub on reddit -- they show two beginner running programs, Runner's world and C25K -- Wondering if one would be better than the other and if it would be helpful to do both? the RW program, gets you running to 2 miles (or so it claims, really it just gets you running steady for 30 minutes in it's 8 weeks), C25K claims about the same amount of time. But there are two things about it, one is it goes up to 3.1 miles - or around that (the 5km deal), and I read that a lot of people who start c25k have a hard time at it (in fact I read a blog where some woman got this question a lot and came up with a small 3 week pre-c25k program)

c25k seems a bit more involved and the RW program seems more straight forward.

So question what would be better for an overweight total beginner like myself? Also might one do both even though they both start out at a baseline level (like I might do the RW one, and then do c25k)

Ideas?

Runner's World beginner prog:
http://www.runnersworld.com/getting-started/the-8-week-beginners-program?page=single

Couch-to-5k:
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Replies

• ntw25
    ntw25 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I will take a look at the Runners World program. I have been using C25K. I like the app, but have to admit I am struggling. I think that maybe I am just too big and out of shape right now.

With the app I think that C25K works well and is easy to follow. I am sure that there are free versions, I paid $1.99 I think.

Good luck

N
  • Uhfgood
    Uhfgood Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    don't have an android or ios phone, but thanks for the recommendation
  • JeffGDDG
    JeffGDDG Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Anything that you do and believe in will work. I've never done the RW but I have done C25K and just repeated days that I couldn't do the first time. It didn't take long to get up to speed.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I've done C25K. It gets you running for 30 minutes but it's a rare Runner who will run 5K in that time within the 9 weeks of the program. If the distance you run in 30 minutes is important to you, then the Runner's World program would be best for you. If running 30 minutes is important to you and distance not an issue, then either program is good.

Ntw25, when you're running, can you speak a short sentence out loud without panting, puffing, gasping? If not, try slowing your pace. Running too fast too soon is common. Use the talk test as a guide to speed. Keep running. You can do this. There's no such thing as "too big" and we all start out as "out of shape".
  • SameMe_JustLess
    SameMe_JustLess Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I am doing C25K, and the couch part was pretty literal for me. I started it a few times and stopped. This last time I decided to do the first few weeks two times before I moved up (i.e. it took me 6 weeks to do the programs first 3 weeks). Going slower seems to have made all of the difference. I am on W5 now and I didn't feel the need to repeat W4. So, basically, I am not sure it matters which you choose. Just listen to your body and make the program work for you.
  • upsaluki
    upsaluki Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I am doing C25K, and the couch part was pretty literal for me. I started it a few times and stopped. This last time I decided to do the first few weeks two times before I moved up (i.e. it took me 6 weeks to do the programs first 3 weeks). Going slower seems to have made all of the difference. I am on W5 now and I didn't feel the need to repeat W4. So, basically, I am not sure it matters which you choose. Just listen to your body and make the program work for you.

Great Advice. Go at a pace that works for you no matter how slow and the speed will come eventually. When you go slower, you are less likely to hurt yourself or dread running again. It should be fun not a burden. Don't worry about speed or mileage, just get out and run the minutes. I've done couch to five k and love it, but I have the app. I've heard there are MP3s or podcasts out there that tell you when to run and stop too, so those might be helpful. If the runner's world program seems easier to you, do that one. The big thing is to get started and keep going. Have fun and best of luck.

• jilljhunter
    jilljhunter Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I started running with the C25K. Starting out, it was really tough, and I even needed to repeat some weeks. I actually used a podcast from www.C25K.com, that told me when to walk, when to run. It was very similar to the cool runnings program, but I cannot carry my phone and run. It was nice have it on my ipod nano and the music was set to help you keep a decent pace.

That was probably 5 years ago. Now I regularly run 5K's and although I'm not fast, I figure it's better than sitting on the couch. Over the past years, if I get out of my running routine, I always go back to my C25K program, just to help me ease back into things. Regardless of the program you pick, stick with it. You will be glad you did!