Quit smoking - How long until I can run?

Options
Question is probably geared more toward former smokers but....

How long after quitting does it take for your lungs to allow for heavy sustained breathing?

I have found that my heart rate and body/muscles say I can run longer but my lugs say, "Nope. You abused us and we are not letting this happen."

Pertinent info: 43, 288 lbs, smoked for 22 years, can run at about 4.5 mph for no more than 90 secs before I have to slow back down to a walk. Can go again with the run after about 4-5 min.

Replies

• refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I was already running when I smoked, but 10 mins was as much as I could manage. You just have to build up your endurance gradually, you won't suddenly be able to run 10 miles because you stopped smoking. Keep doing what you're doing, it will get easier
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on quitting!! The hardest part is quitting, for sure. I am a former smoker and I will never ever start again because it was so danged hard to quit.

In regards to the running, you need patience. Since you weren't running at all things are gonna hurt especially the heart and lungs. Just keep doing what you are doing by adding a little more running everyday and soon your lungs will start to feel better. Hang in there!! :D
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    As someone said you build up your endurance gradually. See how YOU feel on each run. You can also combine running/walking to stay out for longer or follow a couch to 5k programme.
  • lulubeber
    Options
    Hi, I have been smoking for at least 15 years and still run ( slowly) for 45 mins, and survive :)

When I quit for a few months I definitely felt an improvement after 2 months, and after 4 I felt my lungs were just like new. E-cigarettes are the best ^^

Congrats on the quitting !
  • CarlaMomOf4
    CarlaMomOf4 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. Congrats on quitting. Running is a learned exercise. Try a couch to 5k app, like the one from zenlabs. It's free and will have you well on your way to becoming a runner. Even people who never smoked still have to put an effort into running. Best of luck to you!
  • Raclex
    Raclex Posts: 238
    Options
    Hi! Congrats on your quit. We are the same age and I must tell you, that I couldn't run 200 yards before. It's been 5 years since I quit. You you will gain lung strength over time. It took me 5 months to be able to run 2.5 km (at a slow pace and running 3 times a week). And I increased from there. Today, I still struggle with my breathing but I trail run 9 km at an average pace with loads of up and down hills. I see that my lungs are doing much better but find that I struggle more than my husband who's never smoked. Hang int here. It takes time. But keep at it, and you'll notice small changes along the way!
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I noticed my energy levels exploding just a week after quitting. Like, feeling ready to run a marathon (even though I run about two feet and then I'm done! Lol). I prefer cardio like Zumba, walking, and machines at the gym. But I've noticed my breathing and stamina increase tenfold since I quit back in August.

One thing I've done that has helped tremendously is focusing on my breathing. Making sure I am taking deep breaths in, and deep breaths out, and keeping that in sync with the exercise that I'm doing. Good luck, and congrats on quitting!
  • daynes23
    daynes23 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I did the whole jogging/ victory smoke after for a while. Didn't do me any good. I had quit for a couple of months (with plenty of cheat cigs mixed in- including a whole pack 2 nights before my first 5k!) while getting ready for my first 5k. Needless to say it was rough. I quit again this past March and began running/jogging in August. My face doesn't get nearly as red as it used to and my breathing is a little more controlled. I still have bad days where I feel tight and running is difficult. So I don't think there's really a timeline you can associate with it. Just keep at it and keep of the ciggys! Congrats at dropping them. It's tough but you can only get better from here on out!
  • gvhunterollie
    gvhunterollie Posts: 74 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I'm 5 years quit after 30 years of smoking and I still don't/can't run. However, my cough is gone and I am gaining more stamina all the time. Even if you never run you've given yourself a great gift by quitting. Congratulations!
  • samammay
    samammay Posts: 468
    Options
    When I was in the army I smoked 2-3 packs a day and ran 6-10 miles a day.

Yeah, you will cough up some awfulness, but you really want to get that all out anyway. Have at it!
  • Killmenext
    Killmenext Posts: 95 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I smoked for about 10 years, and 3 weeks ago switched to an e-cig, started running about a month ago. Friday I lost my e-cig, so have had nothing for a total of 4 days now. Went running last night, and in just those few days I already could feel a difference. Hoping now that I have quit completely, it will only get that much better,
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    start walking and it will then move to jogging and then to running it is all about consistency

29509743.png
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    As others said, you just have to gradually build up your endurance like anyone else. Try to slowly increase your run intervals by a few seconds and decrease the walking times by 15-30 seconds every week or two.

I've smoked lightly (1/4-1/5 pack a day) for 25 years and it never held me back with running. The only thing that did that was my own doubts and fears...
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Well when I quit I spent 3 weeks with a disgusting chest cold I think my body generated to hack all the poison from my lungs. I had a steady cough/weez for about 4 weeks with matching phlegm. I know its gross. So if this is what you are going through I would consider giving yourself a break until it subsides.

I was able to run as a smoker so I don't know how long it will take you to be able to start. Just know that you need to start slow.
  • Killmenext
    Killmenext Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Is this why I have what I think is a sinus infection all of a sudden, because I just quit smoking? my throat has been hurting, coughing *kitten* up, and my face is leaking. I knew the lungs would try and clear out, but can that cause other stuff too?
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    My improvements were pretty quick. Within a week I went from running for 12 minutes to 25 minutes.

And yes, your sinuses and lungs will go haywire. But I found that heavy cardio makes it better, helps open the up the sinuses and chest.
  • sacto68
    sacto68 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    You can run whenever you want to. I started running 5 months ago, and I'm able to do 4 miles non stop at a 12 min/mile pace. I still smoke, yes I know I should quit. I'm working on it. I used the C25k program to get me started.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    I did countless half marathons and most of my training for a full marathon while I was still smoking a pack a day of cowboy killers. 2 huge things you will notice when you quit is that your oxygen levels will start returning back to normal after a day or two and within a few months the cilia will have regrown and moved a good amount of crap out of your lungs. You can really feel the difference.

Bad news: You are going to have a good deal of irreversible damage to those air sacks in your lungs. Sorry, just the way it is. That said, unless you have some chronic illness then it wont stop you from running. You may never challenge hussain bolt to a 200 meter sprint but you can still be quite good at distant running.

Just don't use smoking as crutch as why you can't run. You can't run because you are horribly out of shape and do not have experience running YET...and smoking made it worse. So change that.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Same as everyone else.
    So? Just run 90 seconds. In a while, that will increase. You're in no hurry. This is long distance running.
    When I started running (while smoking), I went once around my small apartment complex. That was it. Once. For weeks.
    I finally quit after running for about 25 years. I noticed no difference.
    However, you will find that running, and having that sense of accomplishment and 'runner's' high' afterwards, is GREAT positive reinforcement for not smoking. And, you need positive reinforcement when quitting.