How to measure steel cut oats from a crock pot

Options
I recently bought a crock pot and would like to know to measure out a 1/4 cup cooked cup of steel cut oats. Usually when i cook them on the stove they expand when the 1/4 cup is dry. How much would the cooked amount yield in a crock pot?

Replies

• Lelah77
    Lelah77 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    My experience is that they don't expand too much more - it depends on the water ratio. They can only expand based on water absorption, so if you use the same amount of water as you do on the stove, you should be ok.
    You could test this out by portioning what you know to be 4 DRY servings and your water in, cook it, and measure the final result (then divide by four to find out your "wet" serving size.) It'll still be an estimate, but it'll be a more accurate one than guessing.
  • jclark051
    Options
    http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/article-detail/How-Many-Calories-are-in-Cooked-Steel-Cut-Oats-/9t/

this is a helpful explanation that claims 1/4 cup uncooked is equivalent to 1 cup cooked
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    measure your ingredients out before cooking. If you are making 4 servings of 1/4 cup dry oats then split the final product out into 4 equal servings (by weight would be most accurate) from that point on if you would make the recipe the same no alterations you would know what one serving would be.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Weigh your oats dry. Put them in the crockpot. Weigh them cooked, divide by the number of servings, and you have the cooked serving weight.