Zumba

natajane
natajane Posts: 295 Member
edited September 26 in Fitness and Exercise
Hello,

I'm thinking about going to Zumba for the first time tonight, on my own! There is a class on in an nightclub up the street from where I live.

I'm not really sure what is involved as the website for it just says the start time - I do hear that people love it though, and its a type of exercise dance.

I just wondered if anyone here had done Zumba, and what is was like? Did you like it?

I'm not sure what to wear either - do I wear a gym kit or clothes you'd go dancing in (like jeans and a top?).

Bit nervous, but hopefully this will turn out to be a new fun way to exercise.

x

Replies

• louiseei
    louiseei Posts: 254 Member
    I wear a workout vest and cropped workout pants - you will sweat a lot. make sure you have decent trainiers an a supportive bra! And take a large bottle of water, leave your inhibitions at the door and enjoy yourself. It's basically dancing to latin rythms, and really good fun.
  • I am a Zumba instructor in Liverpool and i get these types of questions alot, its normal to feel a little apprehensive but go along you will love it i promise!! Each instructor is different as we cherograph our own exercise routines but its all based around Latin dance and music, with some bollywood and hip hop thrown in for fun!

Yes wear gym gear - something you feel comfortable, and a sports bra is always best. i'd advise taking a towel too as you will probably sweat alot!!

Also, don't panic if it feels like everyone knows the routines, it takes a little while to get used to it but you be so glad that you did! The hour goes quick and you will have laughed your head off aswell as having a great workout.

Hope this helps, enjoy!!
  • NyxDominique
    NyxDominique Posts: 271 Member
    Definitely gym gear. I sweat like a pig every time I go. It is a fantastic workout at almost 100 cal per 10mins. Bring water... I never seem to have enough water when I do Zumba. You will catch on quickly so as stated by someone before don't get discouraged not knowing the moves. They often repeat.
  • StephanieBFree
    StephanieBFree Posts: 39 Member
    I love Zumba and it is a great calorie burn. I wear a heart rate monitor and know that my calorie burn is always 500 - 600 calories depending on the effort I put out. Wear comfy breathable clothes with a good support bra and shoes with good support. Drink a lot of water during and after the class.

If you enjoy dancing and you love music this is a great workout class. I find the hour goes so fast. Good Luck
  • Zumba is amazing!!
    Ive been going 10 months now. I used to go the gym and maybe do some jogging but found it very BORING and more like a chore! doing this twice a week i lost a stone in like 3 months without any intetion. im actually addicted to it! Ive toned up so much since doin this, you do sweat ALOT and your always laughing, theres loads of booty shaking and booby shaking its brilliant! I've dragged people along with me and they keep coming now. I recommend this exercise to everyone, everyone is doing it.
    I hope you enjoyed your first class. The dances are easy to follow when you get them, i always enjoy learning new ones its a brilliant laugh with your friends! :-)

xx
  • natajane
    natajane Posts: 295 Member
    Thanks for the replies ladies, I feel massively excited about it now!

I used to go to loads of classes when I was slim and single – meditation, pilates, belly dancing, salsa, salsacise (like aerobics but with salsa moves – probs the same kind of thing as this?).

I particularly used to love salsa, I used to go so much that I ended up being the teachers helper! I wasn’t amazing at it or anything, just about co-ordinated myself, but I just loved the music and dancing. It makes me feel all happy inside.

I moved home though from a smaller friendlier town to a larger city, so stopped going to all of those things. Lost my confidence as my size got bigger and never got back into anything. I don’t feel so nervous about it now though after your posts, should be fun!

I’ll go buy myself a big bottle of water this lunch and dig out my sparkly trainers! :)

Natalie x
This discussion has been closed.